Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MoonUnit

To all you gym-junkies in here!!

Hey guys!

I made a few posts a while ago, but I haven't been on much recently due to working, friends, and the many other joys of moving out of home :) hehe.

My situation: I'm an eighteen year old female vegetarian with a limited intake of dairy products. I consume a lot of nuts, drink soy milk (in moderation), eat lentils and some other legumes, red quinoa (a complete protein source high in iron), brown rice, pumpkin seeds, tahini, am trying to include tofu in my diet, few eggs (I sometimes feel a bit queasy eating eggs, so I'm only trying to incorporate them into my diet slowly again).. etc.. so I'm doing okay.

My problem: Even these 'protein filled' vegetarian foods can actually be pretty low in protein. I don't think I'm deadly deficient of course, but I doubt I get the 50-90g I need (if the RDA is different to this let me know!!) I have been experiencing extra hair loss lately, which is apparently a sign of low protein. And I plan to start excercising more soon, so I think I need a booster.

My question: What protein supplements would you advise me to take, that wont effect my skin too much?

I'm not going to buy a sugar loaded or flavoured 'protein shake' mix, ew haha.

I'm considering either a soy protein isolate or a whey protein isolate, and putting a spoonful into a fruit smoothie or something. Taking it with real food, you know??

I know there are a lot of gym junkies in here, so what would you recommend??

(I'm NOT trying to bulk up, a more toned body would be nice but I'm not planning on hitting the gym daily or anything. I'm just looking to help my body) :)

Thanks guys!!!

This brand looks the best so far:

Designer Physique Protein

As it's natural and doesn't contain too many fillers... but which one to choose?? I like the sound of the egg white or the carob one... but I'd like some educated advice :D

I use whey protein isolate vanilla from jayrobb and it's working great. :)

For something cheaper I suggest Trueprotein.com.

I'm switching to Trueprotein soon.. I just love the taste from jayrobb.

Edited by EddieE

I can suggest you Gaspari Myofusion!!! It is really the best quality protein and it is only one of the few proteins which doesnt break me out. Actually while im drikining my acne has improved, probably because it contains also Vit-A and Vit-D and only 2g sugar.

Also have seen some positive results in the gym.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/gn/myofusion.html

As you can see the rating is really high also and other people also recommend it.

Edited by wrocky

I can suggest you Gaspari Myofusion!!! It is really the best quality protein and it is only one of the few proteins which doesnt break me out. Actually while im drikining my acne has improved, probably because it contains also Vit-A and Vit-D and only 2g sugar.

Also have seen some positive results in the gym.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/gn/myofusion.html

As you can see the rating is really high also and other people also recommend it.

Best quality protein? LMAO!

Lets count together: Actually I am going to guess... I don't feel like counting...

There are about 15-20 ingredient.

I would say that Jayrobb or Trueprotein are the safest whey protein on the planet.. I think there's a few more...

Note that I am not trying to be rude. :D

Edited by EddieE

Thanks for the suggestions, guys :)

I had a looksy and they both sound good! The Myofusion sounds like it's more for people wanting to bulk up though -- I read the description and all this stuff about protein and 4 hour meal breaks and stuff made no sense to me!! Haha. Also, I'm trying to avoid a supplement without additives... but I'm very glad to hear you're having success with it!! :D

Thanks for the help, EddieE!! Do you know of any non-whey supplements that are good also??

I'm wanting to eliminate dairy from my diet (for personal/ethical reasons - although if my skin improved that would be a bonus!!) so I'm also investigating vegan protein supplements... I should have written this in my original post!! Haha.

So far the brand I posted about is the only one I can find that does these, and they sell them in a shop down the road from me so it's convienient.

If I can't find a good quality vegan protein supplement that provides all the amino acids I need and isn't that great a source of protein, then I will probably end up getting a whey protein one (but eliminating all other dairy).

Mmm I rant a lot :(

I use 100% whey protein rocky road flavor and nutrex for my pre workout and alot of eggs. Although alot of people said whey protein made them broke out but not for me been using it for 2 years now and had no problems with it, i definetly recomend it.

Since it looks like you want to get your protein from vegetarian, or maybe egg sources, Arizona Nutrition has a protein supplement made from a few different sources of plant based proteins. I think it's rice, pea, artichoke, and something else. I think it's called Nitrofusion.

The taste gets mixed reviews, but it's worth a try and it's cheap.

One which I've tried and loved was Ultimate Nutrition's Protein Isolate. It's wheat protein (not whey, and could be problematic for people who are worried about gluten), and when a scoop mixed with like an ounce of water, it has the consistency and taste of chocolate spongecake.