Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AnnieB

$464 for Accutane?

I'm writing for my boyfriend who has very severe cystic acne. His dermatologist told him that he was the worst case of cystic acne she'd ever seen and that Accutane is pretty much his only shot at clearing it up. His insurance has a $500 pay out after which he has to pay out of pocket. He's been on it for a month, with improvements, when he went to the pharmacy last night and was told that his prescription would be $464. Needless to say, he can't afford that. He is devastated. His nodules are very painful and can be embarrassing because they burst on his face and people sometimes notice the pus. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions? I feel terrible for him and don't know what to do to help.

Annie

Edited by AnnieB

Yeah that is what I am on. Its strange that his insurance isn't covering it for each month, especially since its a generic. Some medication companies are now providing help to patients to pay for their meds, he should try calling his derm and asking if they have any ideas.

We are working with insurance and his derm. I just thought, who could possibly take it if it cost that much? It's a shame that people consider it cosmetic so often. There are times that he literally can't turn his neck from the pain. I'm sure he is not the only one, though. I'm really happy this board it here for help!

have you called around to different pharmacies? you'd be surprised at the difference. for me there was about a $300/ month price difference between target and walgreens. i'd call every single pharmacy within a reasonable driving distance for you. good luck!

Hey guys, thanks for the responses!

Stevie - not sure. I know they just doubled it from last month. I want to say either 40 or 80 mg. My boyfriend's a big guy, so I don't think they'd have him on a low dosage.

Musicmama - Good suggestion. I know he's only tried Walgreens so far, so hopefully someone else will be cheaper.

Duchamp - Not sure if he can afford to switch carriers. He is a grad student and the school provides his coverage. I may look into seeing if they have other options available to them, though.

Someone suggested Canada. Any thoughts/experiences with that? I know online is no good. Also, I've heard that there are programs available that can help with the cost. I haven't been able to find anything out about them, though.

have you called around to different pharmacies? you'd be surprised at the difference. for me there was about a $300/ month price difference between target and walgreens. i'd call every single pharmacy within a reasonable driving distance for you. good luck!

ya, you should try like costco. I filled a persription for a drug at albertsons, and I nearly died when they said it would be $150. Luckly they sensed my panic and said that they could price match costco which was $30. I couldn't belive that prices could very THAT much!!!

i'd suggest calling around at pharmacies to find the cheapest in your area. $464 is a lot of money no doubt. Just be glad it doesn't cost $1,000 which my pharmacy charges for generic..

Claravis at Costco or Sam's club is the cheapest in my city.

Can you use the pharmacies at these places if you are not a member?

Anyone can use the pharmacy at these stores in NY state. Not sure about other places- you'd have to call. You just tell the security at the door you're going to the pharmacy. I know that drugs are even cheaper at Sam's if you pay $100 for a plus membership. That would be worth it if you had to pay out of pocket for the full course. It's best to go and talk to the pharmacy people and figure out the costs because they may vary by location.