Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lb2

I need some advice about cysts.

Hi.

I have an extremely extremely large and painful cyst on my cheek that has been drained 4 times and injected 4 times. It continues to come back ever larger and more severe each time. I also have a larger one one my chin/jawline, but it doesn't hurt unless It gets knocked into. I'm going to begin accutane in a week, but i'm using it through an experimental study therefore i cannot get any injections or other medications/treatments at all before i start or during the course. I was just wondering what I can do to maybe make the size of them less GIGANTIC without medications and whatnot and stop feeling like a monster?

Oh, and HOPEFULLY the accutane will cure these horrid cysts, right?

Edited by lb2

Accutane should help you, however, it may take several months before you begin to see results and some people have reported that their condition acutally gets worse before it gets better, but for most people accutane does help and eventually your "monster cyst" should go away.

It is interesting that you have had it drained and injected four times and yet it has come back. Did your derm offer any other treatment options for that specific cyst? Perhaps your derm didn't go deep enough when he/she drained it, or perhaps you need a full surgical excision of the cyst, but in any event, your condition should improve with accutane, just don't expect an overnight "cure"...damned by many but loved by most, accutane is still the best medical solution we currently have for fighting severe acne.

Joe Zit

Edited by Joe Zit

I'm not sure why either. I think because I was supposed to begin the accutane a while ago when the cyst first started getting bad, so he said it would be alot less trouble to be removed then to just wait to begin the accutane. But since the study is taking so long, now i'm in a place where it's too late to be removed because of the accutane and the study. It was and still is very frustrating that it just keeps coming back, but I guess the severity of it just keeps bringing it back. I'm very excited for the accutane, and I'm prepared to wait a while before i see results and i'm even prepared for it to get worse.

Just so you know, I was put on accutane for thoose type of cysts. I had 3 of them and they did not go away. I had them cut open a few times since they would sometimes get infected. In fact just two days ago it happened again. I have had them for 4-5 yrs and they are the color of my skin, but big and get irritated at times.

Accutane did not take them away, I was on it for 8months. I now going to a plastic surgeon to have them lasered off and removed. The one on my neck they won't do since it is close to veins and nerves......by they are going to on the chin and behind and by my ear.

So, If that is the only reason they would put you on accutane I would advise against it and just have them removed. No point in taking someting that serious and it not work.

Good luck

Just so you know, I was put on accutane for thoose type of cysts. I had 3 of them and they did not go away. I had them cut open a few times since they would sometimes get infected. In fact just two days ago it happened again. I have had them for 4-5 yrs and they are the color of my skin, but big and get irritated at times.

Accutane did not take them away, I was on it for 8months. I now going to a plastic surgeon to have them lasered off and removed. The one on my neck they won't do since it is close to veins and nerves......by they are going to on the chin and behind and by my ear.

So, If that is the only reason they would put you on accutane I would advise against it and just have them removed. No point in taking someting that serious and it not work.

Good luck

It sounds as if, by your description that you had sebaceous cysts and not acne cysts, in which case accutane will not be of much help. When they are surgically removed it is important that the cyst wall or sac be totally removed otherwise that type of cyst will come back. I have had four sebaceous cysts, two on my neck, one on my back and one in my scalp and surgical excision was the only thing that worked for them. The one on my back was infected and was really a mess.

Joe Zit

If I understand correctly, sebaceous cysts are technically the same thing as acne cysts, just that the size is different. Also, sebaceous cysts may already be present at birth apparently. I've had one, and it did go away with roaccutane, but it was not nice while it was happening.

Oh nooo. That makes me nervous because that is one of the main reasons i'm going on the accutane. My dermatologist said I should not need to get them surgically removed though, and said that the accutane will 99 percent work to getting rid of them. That's not the only reason though, i've been struggling with pretty bad skin all my life since i could remember someone telling me "you need proactive" in 9th grade. Dumb kids. But anyway, i'm sorry your cysts did not go away and im really trying to think positively that it will work to make them disappear. And in the end of the accutane if they still are there, i'm sure my derm will let me know what i need to do. And if thats getting them surgically removed then i'll do it. But even if they don't go away with the accutane (which will be devastating), i'll still be grateful to have the rest of my face looking fairy normal. Thanks for the input though.

Edited by lb2

Yea i could reliate with your problem men i too have a large cyst on my left cheek after being injected it still came back and now its much bigger, i say maybe since your on accutane just wait it out it will just shrink down eventually but my derm said if a cyst keeps coming back like that maybe you should get it check maybe theirs a bacterial growth where your cyst is at thats why it keeps coming back.

Yeah It SUCKS doesn't it? Well anyway, i've been having these concerns with the cyst and my derm keeps reassuring me that it's just very severe and may even be a little infected but still does not need to be removed. I've already gone through so much with it that i refuse to have it messed with again (and can't even have it messed with due to the accutane) until the course it finished. And yes i'm just going to wait the whole course of the accutane to see what happens with it which is annoying though because it's already been there for like 4 months or so. But i realllly realllly really hope the accutane works for that problem. I've read a lot of blogs about accutane and more than half of them said that they had severe acne and cysts and it got rid of it all, but obviously there are some who it doesn't work for. I'm crossing everything i can cross to be one of the people that is magically cured. I guess i'll just have to wait and see. :yinyang:

Yeah It SUCKS doesn't it? Well anyway, i've been having these concerns with the cyst and my derm keeps reassuring me that it's just very severe and may even be a little infected but still does not need to be removed. I've already gone through so much with it that i refuse to have it messed with again (and can't even have it messed with due to the accutane) until the course it finished. And yes i'm just going to wait the whole course of the accutane to see what happens with it which is annoying though because it's already been there for like 4 months or so. But i realllly realllly really hope the accutane works for that problem. I've read a lot of blogs about accutane and more than half of them said that they had severe acne and cysts and it got rid of it all, but obviously there are some who it doesn't work for. I'm crossing everything i can cross to be one of the people that is magically cured. I guess i'll just have to wait and see. :yinyang:

YES it sucks especially if its just right under your eye where people could easily see it. Then best of luck to you men always remember though just be patient with accutane like everyone said it take months to see improvements but hopefully in the end it will be all worth it when you see your face in the mirror clean and clear! :)

Yes mine is on my right cheek right in the middle and sticks out like a sore thumb because the other parts of my cheek are pretty clear so it's just like what IS that?

But yes i will try my best to be positive and patient and can't wait to look in the mirror without wanting to wear a mask!

Edited by lb2

Yes mine is on my right cheek right in the middle and sticks out like a sore thumb because the other parts of my cheek are pretty clear so it's just like what IS that?

But yes i will try my best to be positive and patient and can't wait to look in the mirror without wanting to wear a mask!

Men we are exactly the same although mine is on my left cheek its like the only active acne in my left cheek and worst its also a cyst it just attracts attention from everyone. definetly men just wait and someday we'll look back at this and hopefull laugh and enjoy our newly clear skin :)

Ahh i see. Well hopefully that will work for you and you won't have to go on accutane!!

goodluck!!!!

Thanks men really appreciate it, i really hope it does so far its working pretty good and not trying to jinx it i hope but i've been on it for just almost a week so i dont really know if its really working or not but im positive it is :)

Glad to hear it !

The main thing is to try to stay positive. Whenever i stress i can actually feel my face start to throb and get worse little by little. It's very hard to especially with such an annoying problem, but it just takes time. :D

Yeah, i totally agree stress does make your acne worst, but its so hard to keep your cool if you know you have something in your face that is really not pleasant to see, thats why for me to minimize stress i usually just stay away from the mirrors for now! :)

oh DEFINITELY me too. I used to always look in mirrors to fix my hair and whatnot and now I just look when i need to. it's kind of sad, but it works because it makes me forget even for a little while and i can just act like myself. Until someone gives me a weird look, i just want to punch them in the face 8-) hehe.

oh DEFINITELY me too. I used to always look in mirrors to fix my hair and whatnot and now I just look when i need to. it's kind of sad, but it works because it makes me forget even for a little while and i can just act like myself. Until someone gives me a weird look, i just want to punch them in the face 8-) hehe.

lol yeah i know exactly what your talking about, hate it when people stares at your face for a good 25 seconds just make me want to do bad things at them :P, but hey its all good cause someday i'll be clear and none of that staring contest no more :D

Yeah it's like they're studying you and i'm always so tempted to ask them if they would like to take a picture or discuss my face but I'm too nice of a person to say that plus i'm only 5 feet so i would be talking up to someone 5 inches taller than me and i'd probably regret saying it.

Yeah it's like they're studying you and i'm always so tempted to ask them if they would like to take a picture or discuss my face but I'm too nice of a person to say that plus i'm only 5 feet so i would be talking up to someone 5 inches taller than me and i'd probably regret saying it.

Yea i usually just calm myself down or do something that would distract me from making an artwork out of their face, like the week before when this guy actually had the guts to ask me what the heck is wrong with my face and i actually replied back and said what the heck is wrong with yours :D

If I understand correctly, sebaceous cysts are technically the same thing as acne cysts, just that the size is different. Also, sebaceous cysts may already be present at birth apparently. I've had one, and it did go away with roaccutane, but it was not nice while it was happening.

Mara,

Your understanding is totally incorrect. Acne cysts are in one sense not even true cysts and no one is not born with sebaceous cysts. You really need to do a little more research on the subject starting with this site and then perhaps do a search on the internet or go to a library with a good medical section.

Many do not even like to use the term sebaceous cyst anymore, preferring the term inclusion cyst.

I fear that posts that contain inaccurate information will only serve to cause further anxiety with original poster. Of course if the poster chooses to believe what people write in a forum over what his/her dermatologist has said, in other words, take the advice of amatuers (including myself) over competent medical authority, then that is really not a very good choice.

Joe Zit