Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
assassin.

Wouldn't an all tangerine diet be good for acne?

Recently I had a day where all I ate, all day, was just tangerines. Nothing else. No rice, no meat, nothing. Just tangerines. I probably had at least 50 tangerines all day.

I thought that the next day my acne would be worse because of all the sugars I was taking in from this very sweet fruit, but my acne actually got better.

Also, these days I haven't been putting anymore chemicals on my face.

Maybe all we need to do is just stop consuming animal fats/cholesterol? Sebum is, afterall, made from those fats and cholesterols and can only get those materials from the foods we put in our bodies.

A tangerine is basically just water and sugar and a little thin sac and vitamins. No way the body can produce sebum from that. Plus, all that vitamin C will boost the immune system and help fight acne. Also, tangerines are rich in many other vitamins and minerals, such as Vitamin A, B5, Niacin, Riboflavin, etc.

One tangerine contains nearly 100 percent daily value for vitamin C and 30 percent daily value for vitamin A.

Edited by bojanglesk8

Maybe all we need to do is just stop consuming animal fats/cholesterol? Sebum is, afterall, made from those fats and cholesterols and can only get those materials from the foods we put in our bodies...

A tangerine is basically just water and sugar and a little thin sac and vitamins. No way the body can produce sebum from that...

This does not make any sense. Sugar/carb is turned into fat by our bodies, so there you have your sebum. Yes, the body produces sebum from that without any problems. All of our cell membranes are made out of fat and cholesterol, so if any diet prohibits these substances from existing in our bodies, you are in some serious trouble.

An all tangerine diet will be low in many nutrients.

From my personal experience eating more fats has reduced acne drastically, not the opposite.

But if it works for you, try it out and let us know.

Look at an analysis of tangerines...

You probably imagine "sugar is bad" and are worried about digesting too much. I believe "excess fructose is bad" and worry about what happens when fructose is not digested (the resulting bacterial stimulation may prevent tryptophan and zinc from being absorbed).

So, the fructose/glucose ratio is about 1.12, which is certainly nowhere near as bad as, say, apples. Still, eat 50 of them, and that's about 26 grams of excess fructose. Not a good idea.

Only very small amounts of tryptophan and zinc.

No, I'm gonna say your improved acne was completely unrelated to eating the tangerines (perhaps you got a good night's sleep), and a tangerine-only diet will be a disaster for acne (that's assuming you can actually eat enough to maintain weight -- otherwise you're really testing a high-fructose starvation diet, not a tangerine diet).

Maybe all we need to do is just stop consuming animal fats/cholesterol?

It's important to eat a well-rounded diet or you are going to end up with a plethora of other problems.

Plus, all that vitamin C will boost the immune system

Lesseee, what role does the immune system play in acne? Ah yes, it generates inflammation and pus and cysts. And you want to boost the immune system? Good luck with that. :D

Could you elaborate on this?

A healthy immune system will help acne.

Lesseee, what role does the immune system play in acne? Ah yes, it generates inflammation and pus and cysts. And you want to boost the immune system? Good luck with that. :D

A high immune system is definitely what you want to strive for to prevent diseases and sickness but it's probably not going to help much with acne. As databased suggested your immune system uses responses such as inflammation to do its work and that's why when you have immune reactions in or on your body such as hives which is an allergic reaction they give you immune suppressants like Prednesone. I know when I took Prednesone a few summers back for a bad allergic reaction my skin became probably the clearest it had ever been and iit had to if been the Presdnesone and Benadryl I was hopped up on for weeks.

So when it comes to acne you want to focus on cleansing and detoxifying the body and eliminating foods your allergic to to get rid of the cause of the acne because all your immune system is going to do is fight whatever is getting released into the body that shouldn't be there.

Edited by Stephen01

A high immune system is definitely what you want to strive for to prevent diseases and sickness but it's probably not going to help much with acne. As databased suggested your immune system uses responses such as inflammation to do its work and that's why when you have immune reactions in or on your body such as hives which is an allergic reaction they give you immune suppressants like Prednesone. I know when I took Prednesone a few summers back for a bad allergic reaction my skin became probably the clearest it had ever been and iit had to if been the Presdnesone and Benadryl I was hopped up on for weeks.

So when it comes to acne you want to focus on cleansing and detoxifying the body and eliminating foods your allergic to to get rid of the cause of the acne because all your immune system is going to do is fight whatever is getting released into the body that shouldn't be there.

I agree with most of that. However, suppressing the immune system too much (wether intentionally by use of drugs like Prednisone or by poor diet) can have a negative effect too. Your immune system is what helps keep your body's gut flora balanced. Suppress it too much and then you can get acne that way. I think any acne gotten from inflammation should be dealt with as such. Prednisone would be treating the symptom, not finding the cause.

So you're right, acne is about getting rid of the cause.

But I don't know if simultaneously trying to help the immune system would be completely bad.

Acne is just so complex. :think:

... No.

You need food from each food group to maintain a healthy diet (although if one affects your skin in a bad way it's okay to stay away from it)

Edited by Ḻyssa

I probably had at least 50 tangerines all day

Wow.

You do know there is such a thing as too much Vitamin C right? I loved tangerines as a little girl and ate a whole bag of them for a week. Ended up with a very bad itchy body rash. Too much of a good thing is most certainly a bad thing.

Edited by BRAZZY

Acne is the immune system response to bacteria (bacteria that is normal and natural to have on your face). The immune system was designed by evolution to overreact. Your ancestors had no doctors and no anti-biotics, so to make sure you lived long enough to reproduce (but nature may not care much if you die after that point), evolution created an immune system that will use cannons to kill fleas.

Do you imagine the influenza virus makes you sick? No, most of the symptoms of the flu are caused by your immune system, not the virus. Your immune system may kill 10 healthy lung cells for every one that is actually infected with virus. If that ratio gets too high or you weren't in good shape to start with, then sorry, your immune system killed you -- but good on you for having a strong immune system! That killed you. :D

In malaria, is it the parasite that kills you? More likely it's the immune system which, once again, will happily kill off lots of healthy red blood cells just to get the few that are actually infected. Did you die of malarial anemia? Well, good on you for having a strong immune system! That killed you. :D

Some people take Vitamin D and imagine they are "preventing" getting influenza. In fact, they most likely still get influenza, but the Vitamin D dampens the immune system and keeps it from going batsh*t and killing everything in sight. So maybe you get a very minor fever, cough a few times, and you're done. So never take Vitamin D, because it DAMPENS YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM. Omigod! You want to have a super strong immune system so you can be laid up for a week with the flu and be coughing for a month! :D

A healthy immune system does not help acne one jot or tittle, which is why people can take a great many actions intended to "support" their immune system without improving their acne at all.

The most compelling mechanism suggested for acne to date is that P. acnes is stimulating keratinocytes to produce reactive oxygen species, a defense reaction that is killing the bacteria -- and the keratinocyte as well. A stronger immune reaction is not what's needed when the immune reaction is actually the mechanism producing the symptoms.

IMHO :D

Guest DireStraits

Acne is the immune system response to bacteria (bacteria that is normal and natural to have on your face). The immune system was designed by evolution to overreact. Your ancestors had no doctors and no anti-biotics, so to make sure you lived long enough to reproduce (but nature may not care much if you die after that point), evolution created an immune system that will use cannons to kill fleas.

Do you imagine the influenza virus makes you sick? No, most of the symptoms of the flu are caused by your immune system, not the virus. Your immune system may kill 10 healthy lung cells for every one that is actually infected with virus. If that ratio gets too high or you weren't in good shape to start with, then sorry, your immune system killed you -- but good on you for having a strong immune system! That killed you. :D

In malaria, is it the parasite that kills you? More likely it's the immune system which, once again, will happily kill off lots of healthy red blood cells just to get the few that are actually infected. Did you die of malarial anemia? Well, good on you for having a strong immune system! That killed you. :D

Some people take Vitamin D and imagine they are "preventing" getting influenza. In fact, they most likely still get influenza, but the Vitamin D dampens the immune system and keeps it from going batsh*t and killing everything in sight. So maybe you get a very minor fever, cough a few times, and you're done. So never take Vitamin D, because it DAMPENS YOUR IMMUNE SYSTEM. Omigod! You want to have a super strong immune system so you can be laid up for a week with the flu and be coughing for a month! :D

A healthy immune system does not help acne one jot or tittle, which is why people can take a great many actions intended to "support" their immune system without improving their acne at all.

The most compelling mechanism suggested for acne to date is that P. acnes is stimulating keratinocytes to produce reactive oxygen species, a defense reaction that is killing the bacteria -- and the keratinocyte as well. A stronger immune reaction is not what's needed when the immune reaction is actually the mechanism producing the symptoms.

IMHO :D

Interesting read

When I first started taking vitamin C it was great cause it shrank my pores, gave me an even complexion and glow but it didn't do much for my acne. I continued taking it just so I could finish the bottle but something very odd happened...I began getting im not sure if it was a cyst but a pretty painful red lump in my right temple zone...its as if I reached a vitamin C saturation point and any more would give me that lump. Anyway i've stopped taking them

Oh..What about zinc though? I've been taking zinc for ages and haven't haven't had any such reaction like the one I did with vitamic C and they're both known for boosting the immune system. What gives?

I don't think boosting your immune system will have a deteriorating effect on acne. In the inflammation case, by damping the immune system you are not solving the problem. Being in an inflammatory state causes this, not having a strong immune system.

As for diseases, the immune system does create the symptoms you feel, but it does suppress the disease/infection as well. Without it you would die. In your theory AIDS patient would be at bliss.

Another problem with the immune system today is that kids grow in environment that are too clean. It is thought that is a main cause in the rise of allergies in recent years (in developed countries). The immune system has nothing to do, and the moment it sees something it just goes crazy. If everyday life requires a constant stable fight, the immune system doesn't do this.

We developed to posses a strong immune system. From skeletal remaining of our ancestors we can see that our ancestors healed from infections caused by injuries without any problems. They also suffered much less disease post-agricultural societies (although you can say this was caused by something else, as for example, living close to animals, etc). Recommending a weak immune system for improving acne is really irresponsible.

Edited by venam