Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
databased

Anyone taking a statin?

I'm looking at the possibility that the precise mechanism by which P. acnes triggers inflammation has at long last been uncovered, and this fills in details in my hypothesis that zinc superoxide dismutase (ZSOD) is a key preventer of acne (which fits a great many other facts reasonably well).

In any case, I was looking for drugs that increase ZSOD levels, and noticed that some statins (pitavastatin, atorvastatin, and simvastatin) may have such an effect -- and indeed (at least in the two older drugs) have been noted to decrease acne. Just wondered if anybody here is taking a statin? I would predict that both a zinc supplement and creating a normal melatonin cycle would be synergistic against acne with one of these particular statins.

Probably easier for any adult >40 to get prescribed a statin than accutane (and certainly a whole lot safer!).

Thanks for the pointer to that paper, which has given me new things to read about!

Could it be that ZSOD's therapeutic effect lies in its ability to synthesize H2O2 and subsequently aid in a more expedient phagocytosis of the offending organism which in turn blunts the inflammatory response?