Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TalkingMonkey

My skin is verrryyy red and irritated (2 weeks in)

I mean, the difference between the colour of my neck and the colour of my face is striking and disturbing to me.

It was fine for the first week and a half, then one night I forgot to put moisturiser on after the treatment cream and I woke up with very chapped and red skin, and two days later this hasn't gone away, despite the tonnes of moisturiser I'm putting on.

Is this normal??

I mean, the difference between the colour of my neck and the colour of my face is striking and disturbing to me.

It was fine for the first week and a half, then one night I forgot to put moisturiser on after the treatment cream and I woke up with very chapped and red skin, and two days later this hasn't gone away, despite the tonnes of moisturiser I'm putting on.

Is this normal??

try to wash with extremely cold water or rub some ice and see if there are any improvements

I stopped for a day or two, then for about a week I just applied a small bit once a day - the redness went down. Then yesterday I put on two moderate amounts of it, one in the morning, and one in the evening, and today yet again my skin is red as hell.

I'm really getting sick of this bullshit. I might just get rid of the stuff altogether, and focus on whatever the root cause is - maybe sugar or candida, there has to be a natural cure.

I agree that you should wash your face with cold water. Don't wash your face in the shower because hot water can exacerbate the burns.

Hope you don't quit. I had this problem when I first started although I have done it my own way using 5% bp and little to no moisturiser and my face turned red and super painful for atleast 2 weeks. I kept to it and applied a ton of moisturiser multiple times a day which releived the pain and but was still left red.

I'm now at about 1 year and I use low amounts of moisturiser and my face never gets red or painful.

I only apply once a day though because I am really lazy.

Edited by as1

I'm in the same boat as you! Today is my third day and my skin is awfully red! Bright red! I've tried washing it with water a few times, but I don't want to put any moisturiser on it because i'm afraid I'll just continue irritating it. Very disappointed.

And as1 I don't know if I could deal with red and painful skin for two weeks. It's bad enough after one day. I'm just going to continue rinsing my skin and come off the BP for a bit and then maybe just apply it to the zits, instead of most of my face. Maybe that will work? I'll let you know

I'm in the same boat as you! Today is my third day and my skin is awfully red! Bright red!

3 days is still pretty early, your skin is going to need a bit longer to get use to it. Keep going and give it time!

I've tried washing it with water a few times, but I don't want to put any moisturiser on it because i'm afraid I'll just continue irritating it. Very disappointed.

Applying the Treatment and then washing it off wont help, you need to apply it to your face and let is absorb in. Also not using moisturizer is a bad idea, the BP is most likely going to severely dry your skin, irritating it more and will most likely just cause more redness. Also don't forget that overly dry skin can also cause more acne.

And as1 I don't know if I could deal with red and painful skin for two weeks. It's bad enough after one day.

I know how you feel! I was using Proactiv (also 2.5% BP) and my skin was red and sensitive for awhile, eventually it went away and I love the way it makes my face look. Howver it's not as simple as Dan's regimen and definitely more expensive. Once I've used it up I'm going to Dan's regimen.

I'm just going to continue rinsing my skin and come off the BP for a bit and then maybe just apply it to the zits, instead of most of my face. Maybe that will work? I'll let you know

Do what you think is best for you. I personally couldn't live with the red sensitive skin again. When I first used proactiv I had no idea my face would react to it like it did. I thought something was seriously wrong. It's good to have these forums to read around and fully understand what is going on.

I suggest keep trying Dan's regimen, apply less treatment until your skin can adjust to it, and don't forget to follow it up with the moisturizer!

Edited by mattmyers

TRY FOR A WHILE ONLY USING THE BP ONCE A DAY...trust me this is a sign u might be going to fast....the key is to be gentle and make your skin adjusted to the treatment!!! dont give up this regimen is the best!