Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RedAlert

Month 3 - No results

So, I've been using The Regimen since mid- September. I use the moisturizer from this site and the treatment. and I also use the jojoba when my skin gets flaky and dry, as well as tea tree oil as spot treatment on new pimples.

The first month, I was seeing a little bit of improvement, then it just kind of stopped progressing. My skin started to get VERY dry around my chin and cheeks and nose because that's where my worst acne seemed to be. And now, my forehead is FULL of these annoying little pores, they're itchy and look disgusting, of course. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and was hoping someone could lead me to the right path of using this regimen. any help is greatly appreciated.

oh, and I do still wear make-up throughout the day when I go to work and school because there is no way that I can leave the house without any on, I use an oil free clinique powdered foundation everyday and the occasional mascara/eyeshadow.

Sorry to hear. I recommend you keep at it for at least 2 more months to see if there really are no results.

IMO, the most important thing about DKR is balancing your skin. Things like using too much BP or moisturizer, or even too little of either. It requires some guess-and-check, but your results will be best if you can get that part down. I myself use a lot of BP and very little moisturizer b/c my skin just naturally stays oily all the time for some reason. I'm not sure what you're doing wrong (if anything) but maybe you're not using enough moisturizer/too much BP since you say your skin is very dry. Or maybe you're smothering your face with moisturizer b/c you think it's so dry.

There's a few things you could try.

1. Stop using Tea Tree oil in addition to BP. It's probably irritating your skin.

2. Stop using jojoba oil. Contrary to the idea that jojoba does not clog pores, it certainly clogged mine - or at least caused breakouts. I was using an organic jojoba and wondering why my skin was still breaking out. I stopped using it and it cleared up a lot faster. I noticed that ANY oil, whether its "noncomedogenic" or not, will break my skin out. Maybe your skin is similar. This includes buying a different moisturizer, because Dan's contains jojoba. I use Complex 15 most of the time, and it's one of the only moisturizers that doesn't break me out or make my skin feel greasy. Sometimes, at night, I'll use fragrance free Curel if my skin feels parched. That doesn't seem to bother me either.

3. Use different make up or none at all. Again, oil free or not, heavy make-up can clog pores or the ingredients can simply irritate your skin, where it might not irritate somebody else's. Even make-ups that claim to be good for acne can end up causing acne depending on your skin type. Until I hit college, I used several different brands claiming to be good for acne. All of them broke me out. You could try switching to a mineral make-up, which tends to have less tendancy to cause breakouts or not using any (which I doubt is what you want to do). If you find that switching or stopping isn't the cause, then you may be able to switch back.

4. Use less BP. Sometimes, a person's skin simply doesn't like the stuff - causing continual irritation. I found, personally, when I was using two pumps, my skin broke out like mad. When I stuck to using half a pump, my skin cleared up, was less dry and less irritated. For a while, I tried going back to using 1-2 pumps and again, my skin went nuts until I lowered it again to 1/2 a pump.

5. Check your diet. Sometimes, using a topical simply isn't enough to battle an internal problem that's severe enough. Greatly reduce dairy intake, or eliminate it altogether. Also, lower your intake of processed grains, like white bread, bagels, donuts etc. Try not eating as much grain and if you do, make sure it's whole grain or whole wheat, like oatmeal. Cut out sugars and starches or perhaps allergenic foods if you eat any, like nuts or soy. Again, from personal experience, I found that when I was eating tons and tons of candy (thanks to Halloween) my skin broke out and no amount of topical would save me - though it probably kept me clearer than had I not used anything.

These things may or may not help, but it's' worth a shot.

So, I've been using The Regimen since mid- September. I use the moisturizer from this site and the treatment. and I also use the jojoba when my skin gets flaky and dry, as well as tea tree oil as spot treatment on new pimples.

The first month, I was seeing a little bit of improvement, then it just kind of stopped progressing. My skin started to get VERY dry around my chin and cheeks and nose because that's where my worst acne seemed to be. And now, my forehead is FULL of these annoying little pores, they're itchy and look disgusting, of course. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong and was hoping someone could lead me to the right path of using this regimen. any help is greatly appreciated.

oh, and I do still wear make-up throughout the day when I go to work and school because there is no way that I can leave the house without any on, I use an oil free clinique powdered foundation everyday and the occasional mascara/eyeshadow.

Many people take up to three months to see encouraging results. Hang in there!

In addition to some of the advice you've already received above, please take this quiz and read through these links and let's be sure everything is being used exactly as Dan suggests.

http://www.acne.org/regimenadvice.php

http://www.acne.org/biggestmistakes.html

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#notworking

http://www.acne.org/blog/2009/04/27/makeup-if-you-must/

http://www.acne.org/faq.html#cosmetics

I hope that helps.