Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mallory

ipledge/bloodwork/specific times for bloodwork?

Hey everyone. I'm exactly a week away from starting accutane, so naturally, I'm starting to freak out thinking I did something wrong and will have to wait another 30 missssserable days!

Question: So, I went to the derm on 10/21, was prescribed Accutane (30 day way), and my next appt. is next Monday 10/23... I went ahead and got my bloodwork and pregnancy test done the day of my first appt. on the 21st. Is this bad?! I've been reading posts saying that I need to get it done within 5 days or whatever of my next derm appt. The nurse practitioner said I could do it anytime, when I asked... but for some reason I'm starting to question her answer!

I got my Ipledge info within the first week and logged on... but that's all I did. Am I missing something?! Should I be getting another blood test before the 23rd? Ahhh... this is so confusing!

If anyone has some answers, or wants to explain the exact process to me, it would be mucho appreciated! Thanks! (:

If the next appt falls on a Saturday or Sunday, they will schedule you for Monday. 11/21 is a Saturday, so I'm sure that's what happened. My last appt fell like that too and I got my RX just fine. Don't worry!

If the next appt falls on a Saturday or Sunday, they will schedule you for Monday. 11/21 is a Saturday, so I'm sure that's what happened. My last appt fell like that too and I got my RX just fine. Don't worry!

Thanks for the reply! I get that part, but I'm just nervous that I got my blood work too soon. Will I need to get it drawn again before my appt. on Monday, or was the first time (immediately after my first appt.) sufficient enough? Thanks! (:

Oh I see... hmmmm. I really have no idea. It honestly sounds fine to me, and if that office RXes accutane (which they obviously do) I'd trust them. Each office seems to run a little differently. For example, I get my blood test done at my derm office and a lot of people have to go to a lab. They also made my first appt like 32 days later and then the 2nd appt only 28 days later... and they say it doesn't matter. So trust them. If you don't, call and ask to speak to someone else ;) Good luck!

Oh I see... hmmmm. I really have no idea. It honestly sounds fine to me, and if that office RXes accutane (which they obviously do) I'd trust them. Each office seems to run a little differently. For example, I get my blood test done at my derm office and a lot of people have to go to a lab. They also made my first appt like 32 days later and then the 2nd appt only 28 days later... and they say it doesn't matter. So trust them. If you don't, call and ask to speak to someone else ;) Good luck!

Thanks! Not sure where this paranoia is coming from... perhaps the fact that 30 days was already SUCH a long time to wait, and if I had to wait another 30 days I'd be bummmmed out.

Anyway, thanks for the help! I think I'm just going to leave it alone... If there's a prob with my bloodwork I'll just get it done again within the 7 day window period and cross my fingers that it works out.

Also, I've checked out your log a few times, and your skin improved tons from your first set of pictures to your second... That's awesome! Good luck on your course! (:

I am trying to understand what you have done here with your bloodwork. I am assuming you are in your 30 day waiting period. You will need 2 negative pregnancy tests, 30 days apart, before your derm can confirm you in ipledge and you can get your prescription. So, if you have an appointment on 11/23 - you will need to get bloodwork done that morning. Remember, your 7 day window to fill your prescription begins on the day of your bloodwork, not your appointment, so watch your days carefully.

Finally, did you receive your ipledge id and password in the mail? You need these before you can answer your questions to get your prescription. While the process seems complicated, you will get used to it. The key is make sure your bloodwork and pregnancy test are done before your appointment (my derm says no more than 24 hours). Good luck.

I am trying to understand what you have done here with your bloodwork. I am assuming you are in your 30 day waiting period. You will need 2 negative pregnancy tests, 30 days apart, before your derm can confirm you in ipledge and you can get your prescription. So, if you have an appointment on 11/23 - you will need to get bloodwork done that morning. Remember, your 7 day window to fill your prescription begins on the day of your bloodwork, not your appointment, so watch your days carefully.

Finally, did you receive your ipledge id and password in the mail? You need these before you can answer your questions to get your prescription. While the process seems complicated, you will get used to it. The key is make sure your bloodwork and pregnancy test are done before your appointment (my derm says no more than 24 hours). Good luck.

Thanks for your reply! As for my bloodwork... I went to my dermatologist on the Oct. 21st... She prescribed me Accutane, I filled out my ipledge paperwork, took a pregnancy test in the office, then told me about my bloodwork. I asked the nurse when I should get my bloodwork done and she told me anytime before my appt would be fine and gave me the sheet that stated what the lab should test my blood for. So, since I was already out and home from college for only one more day I decided to go to the lab to get my bloodwork done. A week after that, I got my iPledge password and signed in... That's all I've done so far. Now I'm worried so I suppose I'll call the office tomorrow and check.

I think I now understand what is going on. Your bloodwork consists of two things: (1) a full blood panel and (2) the pregnancy test. The nurse may be alluding to the simple blood work that needs to be done so they can monitor how accutane affects your system (liver, cholesterol, etc.).

The pregnancy tests are the most important piece of the puzzle because your derm's office must confirm with ipledge you are not pregnant before you can fill your prescription. Since you are in your 30 day waiting-period, these must be done 30 days apart.

Are you getting the blood drawn at the derm's office or a lab? Either way, call your derm's office to make sure you have everything in order before your next appointment. Too many of us ladies get held up filling our first prescription because all of the pieces of the puzzle don't fall into place according the ipledge rules.

I think I now understand what is going on. Your bloodwork consists of two things: (1) a full blood panel and (2) the pregnancy test. The nurse may be alluding to the simple blood work that needs to be done so they can monitor how accutane affects your system (liver, cholesterol, etc.).

The pregnancy tests are the most important piece of the puzzle because your derm's office must confirm with ipledge you are not pregnant before you can fill your prescription. Since you are in your 30 day waiting-period, these must be done 30 days apart.

Are you getting the blood drawn at the derm's office or a lab? Either way, call your derm's office to make sure you have everything in order before your next appointment. Too many of us ladies get held up filling our first prescription because all of the pieces of the puzzle don't fall into place according the ipledge rules.

Yes, I go to a lab to get my blood drawn and they fax the results over to my dermatologist. I wasn't aware that my second pregnancy test had to be a blood test instead of urine... it's all starting to make sense now... haha. So does the 2nd preg. test need to be exactly at 30 days or can I just want until the day of my appt? I'll still call the office tomorrow just in case. Thanks for all of the help!