Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
karam

I have a derm appt tomorrow to try to get on Accutane, but this is one of the RARE occasions that my face is pretty clear...

my derm prescribes me finacea & differin...and this is one of the RARE times when I'm pretty clear

...do you think she'll refuse to put me on accutane?

I know I'm bound to have another bad breakout soon

my derm prescribes me finacea & differin...and this is one of the RARE times when I'm pretty clear

...do you think she'll refuse to put me on accutane?

I know I'm bound to have another bad breakout soon

Almost all derms conclude that acne is caused by hormone imbalances. Oily skin is a good hint that hormones are your main cause. When your body has too much androgens(testosterone), it's telling your oil glands to keep producing oil, don't stop. Eventually this oil reaches the outer layer, and traps germs and p acnes. Everybody has p acnes and germs on their face. The only time acne is caused is when the oil traps these germs on your face. This is a feeding ground for bacteria. Now, that bacteria just keeps multiplying and creating a pimple, or very many pimples. testosterone is a male hormone found in both males and females. Males produce a lot more, that is why women are more feminime, and also why boys get acne worse than girls. During puberty, that is when hormones go crazy, and also why acne is found in a lot of teens. Women in their late 20s and early 30s can get breakouts during pregnancy and even during menopause. There are some great hormonal acne medications that are approved by the FDA to treat servere acne. Some of the groups are Oral contraceptives, Oral corticosteriods, and anti-androgens. the most popular hormone medication is spironolactone "spiro", this belongs to the antiandrogen group. I am currently on this pill, but it takes about 1-3 months to start really showing results. It works by controlling the oil production. The less oil on your face, the less likely it is for you to have acne. I woud also ask your derm for a hormone blood test. See what he thinks will be good for you. Have you ever tried any antibiotics? I never heard about derms going straight to accutane after topicals. An antibiotic will make your face baby smooth. Ask him/her for doxycycline. If he/she says your acne looks clear, just say that every day before this my acne was terrible. It's just your luck that it so happens to be clear the derm day. Usually if antibiotics fail, then they will suggest accutane. The thing is, antibiotics work wonders until the bacteria becomes resistant to it. After that happens, that certain antibiotics wont work for acne anymore. After that happens is when they suggest the tane. Good luck, any questions/comments send me a message.

Edited by Buke

SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME! OMG. THATS FUNNY.

WELL MY DERM SAW HOW MY FACE TYPICALLY IS AND SHE

SAID THAT SHE JUST CAUGHT ME ON A GOOD SKIN DAY.

STILL PRESCRIBED ME THE TANE & SAID THE PROCESS WILL

BE EASIER IF MY FACE STARTS OFF GOOD.

SO FAR, SHE WAS RIGHT.

FEEL FREE TO READ MY ACCUTANE

BLOG BELOW BECAUSE CHANCES ARE

OUR COURSES WILL BE SIMILAR :)

GOOD LUCK!

Edited by gbaby

I'm in same boat as you, I have my first derm appointment on friday (seen the doc twice), when I made my appointment it was bad but over last month my acne went down alot not sure if the doxycycl kicked in or beacuse I went back on the BCP on the 1st of the month. anyway I was so set on Accutane because I was done feeling so ugly and hiding from the world that I use to know, then I read up on Spiro and decided that since my acne has come down some that the derm probably wont even consider Accutane for me (even though I have the scars from all the acne that's been making it's self feel like home on my face in neck for past 5 months) so I guess i'm gonna see if she'll put me on Spiro instead and see how that goes!

Edited by sunshine07