Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kid_Cudder

The Regimen and Makeup?

So I have moderate acne I would say. I have small bumps all over my face and some scarring as well. I currently use a EXTREMELY light coat of oil free foundation almost everyday and it does WONDERS in making my skin appear healthier and concealing my acne scars. Thank god for it or I would never come outside. But I can say 100% that over the years it has not made my acne any worse than it had been before I started wearing it so I am very grateful about that. I just ordered Dan's regimen and I am wondering if I will have to discontinue using my foundation while I begin the regimen? Does anyone have any advice or have had the same issue?

From the FAQs:

Q: Can I use cosmetics? Which kind are best?

A: Here is a quote from the National Institute of Health:

"People being treated for acne often need to change some of the cosmetics they use. All cosmetics, such as foundation, blush, eye shadow, and moisturizers, should be oil free. Patients may find it difficult to apply foundation evenly during the first few weeks of treatment because skin may be red or scaly, particularly with the use of topical tretinoin or benzoyl peroxide. Lip products that contain moisturizers may cause small, open and closed comedones to form. Hairstyling products that come in contact with the skin along the hairline can cause burning or stinging in people with acne. Products that are labeled as non-comedogenic (do not promote the formation of blemishes) should be used; in some people, however, even these products may cause acne."

I suggest discontinuing the use of make-up until you get completely clear. Then you can add in one product at a time and see how it affects you. For more discussion on make-up, see the make-up help message boards.

As a final note, several dermatologists and professors who I trust have recommended Almay as the safest, least comedogenic make-up brand.

honestly, where some recommend discontinuing use, if you know for a 100% fact that it isn't causing breakouts, then I don't see why you can't continue using it - though I've never heard of a liquid foundation that didn't clog pores even a little. Not sure if yours is liquid or not.

Have you tried mineral make-up? When I started the regimen in July, I kept on using my mineral stuff. I don't wear full coverage, though. I just use it as concealer for red marks or bumps. This had absolutely no affect on my acne what so ever. Even in the rare instances that I use it all over my face, it never seems to do any harm, I can't feel it, and it does cover extremely well. I keep telling myself I should probably wear it full face because it makes my skin look effin' great - but I'm too lazy and the more I use, the more that must be bought, and I'm poor.

As mentioned, if you do get mega flakey and dry, any make-up might look kind of weird, but if you're using a good enough moisturizer (or AHA) you might be able to avoid it.

If you think you can handle it, you could always try letting go of the make-up at first, too. You'd be surprised how many people really could care less - but that's easier said than done.

Long story short - if you aren't using acne causing make-up, then I don't think it'll truly matter.

I'll add a quick reply saying I have been wearing make up for years. I just started the regimen nearly 5 weeks ago and haven't stopped wearing it. It's mineral makeup, and I have NEVER had a problem with it breaking me out in the past years I've been using it, so I figured there is no reason to stop using it as gMARIAs said - if it isn't breaking you out, and you know it, then you can continue using it if you feel you need to.

I am one who just cannot bring myself to go out without makeup, so I never considered not wearing it when starting the regimen. But I will say, as the others have said, when you start getting flaky foundation will look a little worse as it goes over dry skin. This is a pretty big problem with mineral makeup as its just powder, but I managed to keep the flakiness to a minimum and it's finally starting to go away a bit.

But do what you want, if you feel you need it, keep wearing it! But you could possibly see better results by not wearing any makeup (though I understand its hard to do!!)

So much for a quick reply :rolleyes:

Edited by sushikam

I'm on the regimen (tweaked LOL) but I'm on it regardless, and I used to use mineral make-up and it made me look cakey and false (revlon colorstay mineral powder which I used to LOVE!!) Bare escuentials (sp SO wrong) broke me out terribly. I used Almaymade for Acnegenic skin back in the day but they don't make it in deeper shades anymore (I'm Afro-American, Toni Branxton's complexion) so now I use a concealer stick by Posners, it covers well and doesn't have ingredients that can break you out. If u want to check ur make-up ingredients to see how irritating, comogenic they are, you can check on this site everytime I buy a new product, I check the ingredients. Anything that isn't on the list means it's not bad for you!

Wow you guys. Thank you all so much for your responses! They were extremely helpful. I think I am going to leave my makeup behind for a while once my regimen gets here. This is going to be so difficult for me because I have clutched on to it for so long. It was the only thing that made my skin look decent and really boosted my confidence because of that. Its so weird how you can put on make up and feel like a million bucks, and once you take it off, its like all your self-esteem,self-worth, and confidence washes down the drain with it. Now I'm wondering if anyone else has felt this way at night standing before the mirror as they were just about to take off their make up?

Wow you guys. Thank you all so much for your responses! They were extremely helpful. I think I am going to leave my makeup behind for a while once my regimen gets here. This is going to be so difficult for me because I have clutched on to it for so long. It was the only thing that made my skin look decent and really boosted my confidence because of that. Its so weird how you can put on make up and feel like a million bucks, and once you take it off, its like all your self-esteem,self-worth, and confidence washes down the drain with it. Now I'm wondering if anyone else has felt this way at night standing before the mirror as they were just about to take off their make up?

Good for you deciding to stop using your make-up! I don't think I could manage it. And that goes to answer your question...YES! I feel that way each night! I only feel good while wearing my makeup and know that as soon as it's off I'll go into a sometimes depressive state (depending on the severity of my acne at the time). I'm hoping that one day within the next month or two I'll be able to wash it off and still be happy...maybe eventually stop using it, or as much of it!

If only I could believe what my fiance says about me, beautiful regardless :wub:

Good for you deciding to stop using your make-up! I don't think I could manage it. And that goes to answer your question...YES! I feel that way each night! I only feel good while wearing my makeup and know that as soon as it's off I'll go into a sometimes depressive state (depending on the severity of my acne at the time). I'm hoping that one day within the next month or two I'll be able to wash it off and still be happy...maybe eventually stop using it, or as much of it!

If only I could believe what my fiance says about me, beautiful regardless :wub:

Well I'm happy someone else can understand what I'm going through. I would LOVE to be able to wake up in the morning, go through my entire day without makeup and feel just as good as I do with it on. I have TONZ of work to do regarding changing my mindset about how I feel towards my appearance, but I have faith that one day I will love my skin, the way I like, and myself 100% ^_^

good luck on the regimen, i can relate to not wanting to go without makeup.

just know that you're the same person with or without. you might look a little different, and feel different because of it, but your personality at its core doesn't change.

i used to feel like i shouldn't wear makeup for a number of reasons, but i don't feel that way anymore. everyone has a preference to how they wear their clothes, how they appear out in public, and that includes wearing makeup or not wearing it. these things are part of who you are, but it def isn't what you're all about.

Edited by den_den

hey guys, i was wondering if wearing makeup on the regimen will ever look non-cakey? in other words, im on week 2 on the regimen and my skin is so dry that when i put on makeup it was totally cakey and showed every flake on my face. while i understand that its only week 2 and thats totally expected, i was wondering (from people who have been on the regimen for a while) if you can eventually put on makeup without the cakeyness and dryness?