Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thriller

50% Glycolic acid Peel

I bought 50% glycolic acid. I had my 4th Peeling on Friday.

I don't get it, i still don't see real improvement on my red marks, just very very very very very little improvement.

What's even worse is that I have new zits: I have these very little zits on my forehead since the first peel.

What am I doing wrong? It seems that these peels make my skin worse... or is this supposed to be like that? Is the glycolic getting all the shit out of my face before it improves?

Here is how I've been doing the peels:

1st: leaving on for 3 mins - no skin irritation, not red - forehead is shiny.

2nd: leaving on for 4 mins - skin feels kinda warm after peel, not unpleasant though - forehead not shiny like last time.

3rd: leaving on 7mins with 2 layers of glycolic - skin totally normal, no irritation.

4th: leaving on 10 mins with 3 layers of glycolic - again, skin totally normal.

Im thinking of doing 12 mins with 4 layers next time.

Does layering the glycolic make a difference on the strength? I had the feeling that the peel is too soft, so I figured it would be stronger like that. But even after 3 layers my skin felt good.

Edited by Thriller

I havent really used them before, especially 50%. Im starting a 30% on Tuesday, but Im leaving my peels on for 5 mins, since my mum says so and she is a beauty therapist so she knows what she is doing.

Hope I dont break out even more, since I have broken out a little right now coz of a mosturizer I used I shouldnt of used. :(

You are only suppose to do one layer. I do not know why it has not worked for you after 4 tries, but it sure works for me, though slowly. I am using 40%.

I'm using a home BHA/HQ+ level 3 (30%?) hyperpigmentation peel currently. Well i've used the peel about 6 timews and i've seen no change :( in the first 4 peels i left it on for 3-5 minutes, but the past 2 were left for up to 9 minutes. i really don't understand what's going on

You are only suppose to do one layer. I do not know why it has not worked for you after 4 tries, but it sure works for me, though slowly. I am using 40%.

Hmm, is doing more than 1 layer bad for the skin or what? Or does it even reduce the effectivity of glycolic acid?

I thought I doing more layers was more effective.

(if your skin is comfortable with it of course and mine is)

Where did you read that you shouldn't do more than 1 layer?

Hmm.. I was getting glycolic peel done at hospital and they always do it only one layer. Perhaps that's how it works for glycolic peels. I'm doing TCA peel at home now (once every 2-3 weeks) and go for 3 layers cause that's how TCA works more efficiently. Btw, I think it's more helpful on reducing redmarks and dead skin -but I wouldn't use it on acnes.

peels i have never done but i use a 5% glycolic acid lotion that is starting to work. i just cant imagen using 50% of anything on my face!

Hmm.. I was getting glycolic peel done at hospital and they always do it only one layer.

Alright, you convinced me :D. Next time I'll do 1 layer again, and see how it turns out.

peels i have never done but i use a 5% glycolic acid lotion that is starting to work. i just cant imagen using 50% of anything on my face!

My skin is pretty tough :D

Hmm, is doing more than 1 layer bad for the skin or what? Or does it even reduce the effectivity of glycolic acid?

I thought I doing more layers was more effective.

(if your skin is comfortable with it of course and mine is)

Where did you read that you shouldn't do more than 1 layer?

More layers = more aggravating. If you do more than one layer, leave it on less long. It is bad to over do it obviously.