Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First post, but I've lurked here for a while. : )

So I figured out one of the reasons why I was breaking out. Iodine. When I was taking multi-vitamins I figured it couldn't hurt. Yet, I was starting to break out more than usual.

What I found out is that it contained 150mg of Iodine. 150mg is the max any adult should have. Yet it's in a lot of foods, so I was easily going over by 250+mg. So for the past week I have tried to cut down on foods with iodine and have only had 1 whitehead pop up.

And here's a little quote.

"Iodine is a factor in some people who are prone to acne," says James E. Fulton, Jr., M.D., Ph.D. " Iodine enters the body and mixes into the bloodstream, with the excess excreted through the oil glands. As it is excreted, it irritates the pores and brings on an acne flare-up."

So for me, excess iodine is what caused my acne flare ups. Just thought I would pass that along.

Good luck! :)

Iodine affects your thyroid and your adrenals. You can have adverse effects if you are getting too much or too little.

My blood tests show too little iodine. I have started supplementing with seaweed and I have seen improvement.