Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
plentyrockz

28 and still fighting cystic acne and milia seeds. Recommendations?

Hello everyone,

Dermatologists in the past have not been able to help me. So right now I'm trying to look for recommendations for what else to do to stop my skin problem with the use of OTC products. In the past I have (in chronological order):

Used:

Tretinoin 0.01%

Panoxyl soap bar (5% Benzoyl Peroxide)

Application:

Twice daily

Acne location: Forehead, temples, jaw line, nose and cheek area under my eyes

Result:

Ended up with really flaky skin and moderate cystic acne, and later found out that Tretinoin's affect is canceled with the use of benzoyl peroxide

Used:

Differin 0.1%

Panoxyl soap bar (5% Benzoyl Peroxide)

Application:

Used the panoxyl soap bar in the morning and differin at night

Acne location: Temples, jaw line, nose and cheek area under my eyes

Result:

Skin was less flaky, but still had moderate acne. I decided that I would like to move off of prescription drugs because I still had cystic acne

Used:

Clean and Clear Blackhead Clearing scrub (2% Salicylic Acid)

Aveeno Clear Complexion (0.5% Salicylic Acid)

Panoxyl soap bar (10% Benzoyl Peroxide)

Application:

I use the clearing scrub in the morning and follow it up the aveeno moisturizer around the sides of my nose and temples. At night I use the scrub again and then follow it up with washing my face with the soap bar.

Acne location: Temples, jaw line, nose and cheek area under my eyes

Result:

Skin isn't flaky anymore, but I still have about the same amount of acne. There is less cystic acne, but I have a milia seed problem all over my face which sometimes causes really large pimples (I know it's caused by milia because after my pimple heals, usually a rice like seed remains and can be squeezed out, sorry for being gross). And around my forehead, milia seeds seem to surface all the time. For example, I can run my finger across my forehead and at least one hard milia seed would be removed.

So does anyone have any suggestions of what else I could do? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by plentyrockz

First I would say only wash your face with oil free and soap free cleanser once a day. Those combination salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide washs, soaps do nothing. Throw them all away and stop with the scrubs!! do not use scrubs 2 times a day!

I recommend taking vitamin A pills 8000 IU once a day to help with cystic acne, Melazepam cream (Azelaic acid 20%) in morning under your lotion and wash your face with water ONLY at night and put on Retin-A. Also stop using salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide I used them for years ignorantly but finally got fed up and started using/buying stronger prescription/generic medicines and kicked my acnes ass. Good luck.