Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xvani

Salicylic acid + AHA?

I have moderate/severe back acne these days. I'd rather not do AHA twice a day (time-management) and I'm done using BP on my back due to too many ruined clothes and sheets.

I use SA in the shower and AHA. Do these work together? I'm not getting great results.. =(

AHA and Salicylic Acid at the same time does not work at all. For reasons unknown, they seem to cancel each other out. Here's what you should do, because it works 99% for me:

Take your shower in the morning. Do not use hot water. Keep it lukewarm. Once you are all wet, turn off the water. Grab your SA, squeeze out a generous amount, and gently lather it all over your affected areas. Leave it on your body for at least 4 minutes. That's the biggest mistake people make with Salicylic Acid. They rinse it off too quickly, or they use it while the shower is running all over them. It needs to penetrate.

After 4-5 minutes, turn the shower back on and rinse it off thoroughly with lukewarm water. When you are done with whatever else you need to do in the shower, get out and gently towel dry your skin. Once the air has completely dried you off, then you apply your AHA cream. Use Dan's 10% Glycolic Acid because it absorbs well and it works on you all day.

Lastly, at night you should take a quick 5 minute rinse in the shower and perform the SA process again. I know you don't want to use BP anymore, but you should apply a 2.5% gel once you're completely dry from the evening rinse. Do it right before you go to bed and always wear cheap white pajamas and T-shirts. You should get some cheap white sheets, too. That will solve the bleaching problem, because your morning shower will prevent any bleaching of clothes the next day.

And if you know in advance that you won't be wearing anything to bed, or that you want to use better sheets on the matress, just skip the BP. Skipping once in a while is no big deal.

AHA and Salicylic Acid at the same time does not work at all. For reasons unknown, they seem to cancel each other out. Here's what you should do, because it works 99% for me:

Take your shower in the morning. Do not use hot water. Keep it lukewarm. Once you are all wet, turn off the water. Grab your SA, squeeze out a generous amount, and gently lather it all over your affected areas. Leave it on your body for at least 4 minutes. That's the biggest mistake people make with Salicylic Acid. They rinse it off too quickly, or they use it while the shower is running all over them. It needs to penetrate.

So you ARE using SA + AHA at the same time? :P

(SA in shower, AHA afterwards) - This is what I've been doing too.

Seems that after I cleared it up the first time (using SA+BP+AHA once a day and SA+AHA another) I am almost able to keep it clear using SA + AHA twice a day alone. Would it be better just using a regular cleanser + AHA? Still scars though, hopefully they will fade!

My goal is to only apply stuff once a day.. Salt water?

Edited by Xvani