Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
grade2syndrome

grade2syndrome on Accutane

Well, after a year I have finally started Accutane (okay, for the first month i use a replica brand called Clarus) but for simplicity I'll call it Accutane. It took me so long because I hate blood tests, but I finally found a clinic that works well for me. My Derm has started me on 40 mg.

I've been researching side effects for a while and I wanted to prepare myself. I am expecting severe dryness and so for the dry skin I got Avene moisturizer, to wash I have Cetaphil cleanser, and Vaseline is for the nose and lips. I'll be looking for something stronger for my lips.

So, before I scare anyone, I get horrible PMS and so I'm already moody, irritable and blue. So the last two times I cried I can't really say it's the Accutane, it could just be something else eusa_think.gif Had a nightmare that made me scream. I could just be over analyzing my behaviour because of my over research ;)

Reasons I started treatment:

- every month I breakout

- i am a popper and now i have red, purple and brown marks all over my face

- i am a blackhead factory

- i have these white bumps all over my face, especially on my chin that cannot be popped or extracted. i want them gone.

- i have back acne, and lots and lots of scars

- my forehead looks like a leather bag from value village

So, things that I'm worried about:

- the food I eat

- straightening my hair

- a moisturizer for my body after I shower

post-116555-1258326905_thumb.jpg

post-116555-1258326905_thumb.jpg

Edited by grade2syndrome

Hey Warrier, my camera got all blurry when I got up close, but it's BAD - the marks the acne leaves behind are just plain embarrassing. I worry about the food I eat because I've been getting cravings for chicken wings and fries to the point where I can't resist, and I should know better and stick to healthy foods. Accutane is supposed to mess with the cholesterol.

I washed my face today and I've noticed it's starting to dry up a bit, it's not as oily. Other than that I haven't noticed anything different, but I've just taken pill #4 today, it's too soon to tell.

I'm also monitoring the rest of my body. I think I'd rather see my chest/back clear up before my face does. At least I can MAC my face...

Day 5 - Itchy & Scratchy have arrived

My face is starting to get itchy. The existing pimples that were popped are getting flaky My back is also a bit itchy. And my scalp is super itchy. Lips aren't so bad. I forgot my MAC powder at home today and I felt super self conscience about my skin. I had to cover my face with my hair and avoid certain people. Oh I love the ugly days eusa_doh.gif <-- itchy head.

Pill #7 - Just drank a bottle of water all in one shot.

My lips feel super gummy, I've been slathering on the rosebud salve all day. I wish Canada had Aquaphor in stores, I hear good things about it. I bought a brand of chapstick the other day and it started crumbling as I applied it.

I had to take some painkillers and I think it messed with my system getting all mixed with the accutane. Was nauseous all day. So from now on I'm not taking any other meds.

So far nothing big other than the itchiness and the lips. I'm enjoying the crazy dreams as they are quite entertaining. But I'm not breaking out any more or less than before. Still too early. It's kind of hard to tell if what I felt the last week was due to the PMS or the Accutane, both have very similar side effects.

Man, I bet this has been said a million times but I wish I had started this sooner. Damn my laziness and procrastination. Damn!!

Thanks John, I'm looking forward to the treatment!

Pill #9

Today I looked in the mirror, and everyday I notice a few new whitheads (sorry, the have to go) but today I noticed the formation of tiny white/flesh coloured bumps along my chin. Honestly, my chin has always had tons of tiny whiteheads that I never have been able to extract. If all that comes out, it'll look nasty but I will be sooooo happy because my skin will be so clear. I am going to try to get a high res picture of them as I'd like to monitor the area for improvement.

Aquaphor is made by Eucerin. I think it is the same product just sold under the name Eucerin up north. It's my fave for lips - good luck finding it!

Aquaphor is made by Eucerin. I think it is the same product just sold under the name Eucerin up north. It's my fave for lips - good luck finding it!

You are AWESOME! I found it the first place I went. My face is no longer itchy, it's nice and shiny ;). This will likely only be part of my nighttime regimen and I'll continue using it on my lips, maybe nose. Nose is feeling a little dryer, it's usually always congested. Which is fine with me because I can actually SMELL things properly now.

Just took pill #10 today. Nothing new to report, so I'll report back when something exciting happens :)

Want something exciting?

I'm afraid to answer this question... :ninja:

I need to stop thinking about my gummy lips. Vaseline is the only thing I'm really liking right now.

And as for the whiteheads, I can't just leave them there. But I don't want anymore red marks from handling previous whiteheads. Maybe I should just learn to hide them, and they'll go away on their own. Does that actually do good? If there's a whitehead, and it's just left alone, does it just disappear over time?

sure!

Hi!

I am on Day 20, Claravis 40mg.

I experienced gummy lips at first too! Then the got really dry and all chapped. So the point of all this is, I went out to my neighborhood CVS and found this great stuff for my lips. It's in a little pink container (the one you apply with your fingertip) and it's called Daily Conditioning Treatment made by blistex. You should try it. I found it at the counter when I went to pick up my BC. And the minute I put it on, it was instant relief :)

Hope it helps!

I've been researching side effects for a while and I wanted to prepare myself. I am expecting severe dryness and so for the dry skin I got Avene moisturizer, to wash I have Cetaphil cleanser, and Vaseline is for the nose and lips. I'll be looking for something stronger for my lips.

dont expect severe dryness. your only on 40mg. severe dryness is more likely to occur if you were on 60mg or higher.

dont expect severe dryness. your only on 40mg. severe dryness is more likely to occur if you were on 60mg or higher.

Hey Kris, thanks for the tip! I think by the end of this I'll have a whole collection of lip balms I've been recommended so many different ones :) How are you finding your treatment going?

And good point h8acne11, but my derm said that 40 was only to start but that he's likely to increase the dosage after the second month depending on my progress/reaction. But it's good to know that until I get there this may be as bad as it gets!

Hey John, where's my something exciting?

And so... pill #12. I've told a few people that I'm on accutane, so I don't have to give excuses for why my lips are peeling off, etc. Everyday they tell me my skin is looking better, and I just keep telling them that it's the MAKEUP! LOL! I don't expect any results so soon. In sad news, my fun crazy dreams have stopped :( I really liked those. Also learned that I have to be very gentle towel drying my face. I usually rub the towel on my face so that it soaks up all the water, but it kinda burned my face. Ouch!

Edited by grade2syndrome

That's not necessarily true. I've been on 40 mgs from the beginning of my course and I've experienced CRAZY dryness. Everybody's body is different.

Anyhoo...good luck on your journey! :)

Pill #16 - Fun Times.

I'm so intrigued. I KNOW there's crap underneath my skin. What gets to me is that every morning I wake up and my skin is flat and looks okay. Then the day progresses, and by evening time my face explodes in breakouts. I was sooooo self conscience today because I had erupted while visiting some folks today, and my hair can only cover so much. Makes me a sad camper :(

I also notice that when its cold, my face explodes in acne. It's like my skin tightens and the acne comes out. I'd like to know the science behind it. I'm so intrigued.

Also, today I'm going to make a serious effort to NOT self eliminate any more pimples. No touching my skin, no feeling for bumps, no picking and no squeezing.

Pill #18

Okay, so I got five new whiteheads today and I have to change my promise to myself: I will ONLY eliminate those small, nasty whiteheads. I will not pick or touch anything else. I can feel my nose, it's super fuzzy, I can feel the blackheads trying to come out. Hooray, it's working.

So I thought I'd describe my acne history. When I was 12 I got my first whitehead, below my lip center of my chin. Sometime after that my forehead was always my biggest problem, it was literally covered in fleshy bumps. I don't recall them being whiteheads, but it was gross. That continued throughout high school. The great thing is that I don't really remember being self conscience about my acne, because I have few memories of it. I don't remember being a picker, or trying to cover it with makeup or my hair, it never let me down. I know my skin wasn't perfect but I also never let it bother me. I don't know when it got better, but it did. My forehead had been completely flat for years and years.

Then, maybe 2 or 3 years ago, I remember getting the odd pimple, and I would immediately eliminate it. They were all over my cheeks, temples, chin. I have wide pores on my nose and tons, and tons of blackheads. I hate whiteheads and so I pop them all. I remember going for facials a year and a half ago and the ladies commenting on how many blackheads I have. I get hormonal acne every month, when I skip months my skin seems to get better, but I remember back in the summer it got so bad I bought one of those extractors from Sephora, and I went to work. It made my face a lot worse.

A year ago my friend was finishing accutane, and her acne was a lot worse than mine. One day I looked in the mirror when she was next to me, and she suggested accutane and I said I never thought I needed it. Then I looked closer and realized that it had gotten a lot worse than I thought. So of course my derm tried other pills and topicals first, then in August after the catastrophe with the extractor I had enough. That's when I decided to go see my doctor about Accutane.

Since then, I've been super self conscience about my face, always wearing makeup, and I notice other peoples pores and oil. I don't judge them, but I notice it more. The great thing about accutane is that it eliminates the source of pimples, so everything i do after the treatment should just be keeping my skin clean and working on removing these scars!

Edited by grade2syndrome

Pill #19

I took some more pictures today, I'm amazed at how bad my skin is. My chin is still nasty, with the little white bumps showing more. My lips continued to be dry, and my back is getting itchier actually. Started a new moisturizer twice a day yesterday.

So here's a pic taken today.

post-116555-1260156669_thumb.jpg

post-116555-1260156669_thumb.jpg

Edited by grade2syndrome

Pill #20

I woke up this morning to 7 new whiteheads. The problem is I don't know if it's:

1) because of the accutane and my skin is clearing out, it WAS supposed to get worse before it got better

2) because I got new moisturizer.

The reason I don't think it's number two is because the last time I got three new whiteheads I was using my old moistrizer. I'll continue with the new stuff and see.

I eliminated them, my skin went flat and it was easy to cover up.

Edited by grade2syndrome

Hey,

I'm on day 9 and apart from the dry lips ther r little other symptoms i cn talk of - i'm on 30g a day and within this last week it jst gets worse and worse...mostly whiteheads which i pop caus i simply can't go out like that - already i don't use make up caus my skin is so sensitive to the touch even jst in the shower.

This is quite a trip I have to say.