Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
uglyduckling11

Should I pop the pill?

Its a familiar story. I'm 22 and I've suffered from acne for a long time. Its severely affected my life. I have great friends and family but I have zero self confidence, no boyfriends and I have to cake my face in make-up before I go anywhere outside of home, even to the bathroom at a friends house. Yesterday a little girl on a train told her mum that I didn't look very nice - I could fill an entire blog of woe and self pity, but I'll get to the point....

I have the roaccutane pills in my bathroom cabinet. Over the years 6 dermatologists have recommended the stuff and I have tried everything else. I weigh 60kg and I took my first 30mg dosage last week. The trouble is that I instantly realised that this is a serious drug, and that a course of accutane isn't going to be sunny and miraculous. I never knew where my liver was until I had this ache following the first pill, so I stopped. Is it a normal reaction? My cholesterol is a bit high so that might be a contributing factor.

I absolutely have to do something about my acne, and so I want to continue. A couple of my friends have finished a course of treatment without problems, but I don't want to become an accutane victim statistic. Please can you give me your advice? I've also noticed that people on the drug often become pink ghosts and they lose their oomph and joie de vivre. Has this been an issue for anyone?

The other factor preventing me from getting on with taking the drug is that I am in Italy far from home and supervision, the dermatologist I found here is thoroughly unsympathetic and doesn't speak English. Getting blood tests done is expensive and a hassle. I go home at in 5 weeks for xmas but I want to do something now. Am I mad!?

Ironically all this stress about curing my acne has caused an especially hideous break out!

I'd really appreciate some advice. It seems that people who have been through acne are better qualified than the dermatologists!

To be honest, I'd wait until you get home. It concerns me that your dermatologist does not speak English. How did you communicate? Also, he does not seem very good. Even though you will be going home in 5 weeks for Christmas and probably want to be at least semi clear, it'd be worth it to wait. With Accutane, you probably will not yield results in that short of a time.

To be honest, I'd wait until you get home. It concerns me that your dermatologist does not speak English. How did you communicate? Also, he does not seem very good. Even though you will be going home in 5 weeks for Christmas and probably want to be at least semi clear, it'd be worth it to wait. With Accutane, you probably will not yield results in that short of a time.

You're right and I should be patient. But then I'll look in the mirror in the morning and probably change my mind again! I've been to see so many dermatologists that I know what I want. I just said ro-acc-u-tane very clearly and this Italian dermatologist seemed to understand.