Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AdamDolce10

Carbohydrates Friend or Foe!!

Ok firstly I just want to say this doesn't apply to people who have a canida connection or trying to lose weight.

Carbohydrates are good for you!! Please don't avoid them completely. I have seen people who are trying to gain weight and are running out of ideas, that is because they are avoiding carbs and it's common sense that they help weight gain.Saying this I don't mean go eat refined, artificial carbs in an excess, or any carbs for that case. Just eat a healthy amount.

I was avoiding all carbs and I lost so much weight, my face was so pale, I had no energy and my acne was worse. I altered my diet adding very healthy wholegrain carbs and my acne started clearing. I ask you to try it before you judge it helped my acne.

I whole heartedly agree. I hate it when I see people avoid carbs.

Why would you hate people doing something that works for them?

I think experimenting and seeing what works best for each person is better than most of the advices in the internet.

Ok firstly I just want to say this doesn't apply to people who have a canida connection or trying to lose weight.

Carbohydrates are good for you!! Please don't avoid them completely. I have seen people who are trying to gain weight and are running out of ideas, that is because they are avoiding carbs and it's common sense that they help weight gain.Saying this I don't mean go eat refined, artificial carbs in an excess, or any carbs for that case. Just eat a healthy amount.

I was avoiding all carbs and I lost so much weight, my face was so pale, I had no energy and my acne was worse. I altered my diet adding very healthy wholegrain carbs and my acne started clearing. I ask you to try it before you judge it helped my acne.

Along with carbs, you must have cut down on total calories too, which is why you lost weight and lacked energy. It's not hard to mantain, or even gain weight when going on a low carb diet, as long as you eat the same amount of calories that you were consuming before (maybe even a little more since protein has a higher thermic effect than carbs).

Exactly I cut down on carbs and therefore didn't have a balanced diet.

Im after adding them back and I put on 1 and a half stone.

Along with a high fat diet and medium carb diet for weight gain.

My fat sources are pumpkin seeds, almonds, almond butter, coconut oil, EVOO, avocados and small bit of animal fat.

so, I did cut down on carbs to lose weight, but from the start I didn't cut out carbs the way a lot of diets tell you to. I focused on cutting out breads and pastas (and I realised, as a bonus, that I was less bloated) but I supplemented these with vegetables, and importantly, fruit. As a result I was still getting carbs from the fruit but they weren't refined carbs. I also did increase the protein, and started snacking on biltong instead of sweets.

I did lose weight - from 79kg to 70kg in just over three months - but I never felt fatigued, and the condition of my skin still improved.

I think people should try see what works for them. I never advocate sticking to a diet to the letter since most diets won't work the same for every person.

My fat sources are pumpkin seeds, almonds, almond butter, coconut oil, EVOO, avocados and small bit of animal fat.

I agree with your original post, but I have a question about this quote.

I've started eating mixed nuts, which contain almonds, brazil nuts, hazelnuts and walnuts, and I was just wondering if all these nuts are ok? To be honest, the only reason i'm eating them is because it said on the packet that they contain Vitamin E, which helps keep the skin and immune system healthy.

By the way, it's good to see a fellow Irishman on board :D

Thanks!

To be clear, are we talking about CARBS or are we talking about GRAINS? It sounds more like carbohydrate heavy grains than it does carbs in general.

Veggies and fruits can both contain carbohydrates.

What about people with gluten sensitivities like people with Celiac's Disease?

A low carb lifestyle is actually very healthy. It doesn't mess with your blood sugar as much. Low carb foods are less likely to be stored as excess fat. A lot of higher carb items are more difficult to digest.

Trying to gain weight? Eat a lot of lean protein and veggies. Carbs are the EASY way to gain weight, but not always the healthiest.

Now, I don't believe in a NO carb diet. Foods like oatmeal and the occasional whole grain slice of bread are perfectly good for you, providing a good amount of fiber and perhaps other nutrients.

With that being said, each person is different and their bodies will react differently to different diet habits. If someone eats a low carb diet, is at a comfortable weight, and it's improving their acne - then why should they go back to eating more carbs?

To be clear, are we talking about CARBS or are we talking about GRAINS? It sounds more like carbohydrate heavy grains than it does carbs in general.

A low carb lifestyle is actually very healthy. It doesn't mess with your blood sugar as much. Low carb foods are less likely to be stored as excess fat. A lot of higher carb items are more difficult to digest.

Trying to gain weight? Eat a lot of lean protein and veggies. Carbs are the EASY way to gain weight, but not always the healthiest.

Now, I don't believe in a NO carb diet. Foods like oatmeal and the occasional whole grain slice of bread are perfectly good for you, providing a good amount of fiber and perhaps other nutrients.

With that being said, each person is different and their bodies will react differently to different diet habits. If someone eats a low carb diet, is at a comfortable weight, and it's improving their acne - then why should they go back to eating more carbs?

First of all my post stated that this doesnt apply to people wanting to lose weight or have any allergies in relation to grains

I agree with you but i eat over 200grams of healthy protein a day and find it hard to put on weight

carbs help me with energy i eat mountains of vegetables as well.

I appreciate your input thanks :)

I agree with your original post, but I have a question about this quote.

I've started eating mixed nuts, which contain almonds, brazil nuts, hazelnuts and walnuts, and I was just wondering if all these nuts are ok? To be honest, the only reason i'm eating them is because it said on the packet that they contain Vitamin E, which helps keep the skin and immune system healthy.

By the way, it's good to see a fellow Irishman on board :D

Thanks!

Nice to meet you?

where are you from in ireland.

Almond are fantastic for skin.

In my opinion swap brazil nuts and walnuts for cashews.

First of all my post stated that this doesnt apply to people wanting to lose weight or have any allergies in relation to grains

I agree with you but i eat over 200grams of healthy protein a day and find it hard to put on weight

carbs help me with energy i eat mountains of vegetables as well.

I appreciate your input thanks :)

technically, you said candida, not allergies...

If carbs don't cause you to break out, then it's not an issue - but carbs for some people are not necessarily best.

Exactly I cut down on carbs and therefore didn't have a balanced diet.

What's your definition of a "balanced diet"? If a diet provides all essential nutrients without providing carbohydrates, would you consider it balanced?

Referring earlier as a great way to gain healthy weight by eating healthy carbs.

I also include calories into a balanced diet and yes if your getting everything you need then its a balnced diet but carbohydrates are only cut out of diet for weight loss Im saying for a weight maintainment or weight gain diet I personally think carbs should be included for energy and calories.

And gMarias,

What you are saying is perfectly true but what im saying is that people see others avoiding because it works for the other person and they stop too without trying healthy grains or just dropping them.

So my topic is to stay if your not sure give it a go because it worked for me and others and maybey you too.

But fair enough if people have tried and it doesnt work for them Im not telling people eat carbs im just saying they are relatively healthy and get a bad rap.

Nice to meet you?

where are you from in ireland.

Almond are fantastic for skin.

In my opinion swap brazil nuts and walnuts for cashews.

Thank you for taking the time to reply! Luckily, I bought Cashew nuts today and I'm very happy with them. Almonds and Cashews taste the best, in my opinion, but I see that Cashews have more saturated fat compared to the others.

I'm from Ardara - I moved here from Belfast and I absolutely love it! It's got some truly brilliant beaches :)

Thanks once more.

trust me dude saturated fats from nuts and plants are fine.

Can you get fat eating a Vegetable or legume?

No, you cant.

Calorie control though unless your like me trying to gain weight.

Its the animal saturated fats that are bad when eaten too much but some is ok, have your steak :), and cooking with polyunsaturated fats is a bad idea which is most veg oil, there bad news.

Substitute veg oil for olive oil and coconut oil.

Almonds and cashews are my favourite too and i only eat them.

Have you tried all natural almond butter its beautiful :)

Hows the roads in Ardara this morning?

Im flooded in hahaha

No, you cant.

yes, you can. Eating too many calories of anything can make you fat.

Its the animal saturated fats that are bad when eaten too much

That is false.

If you read a bit further you will see I say be careful of the calories because of weight gain

so I agree.

I disagree

They have a good bit of omega 6 in the excess fat.

I am only talking about you knoe the lining of fat on a steak or lamb not the marbled cause that is fine just the excesss fat.

So unless your getting a good omega 3 intake then its not the best

Edited by AdamDolce10

trust me dude saturated fats from nuts and plants are fine.

No, you cant.

Calorie control though unless your like me trying to gain weight.

Its the animal saturated fats that are bad when eaten too much but some is ok, have your steak :), and cooking with polyunsaturated fats is a bad idea which is most veg oil, there bad news.

Substitute veg oil for olive oil and coconut oil.

Almonds and cashews are my favourite too and i only eat them.

Have you tried all natural almond butter its beautiful :)

Hows the roads in Ardara this morning?

Im flooded in hahaha

Thank you very much, Adam. This is good to know! I'm going to look into the Almond butter. It sounds great.

Haha, it's been raining all week, but the roads aren't too bad. Typical Irish weather, eh? :D

No, you cant.

That is false.

If you read a bit further you will see I say be careful of the calories because of weight gain

so I agree.

I disagree

I am only talking about you knoe the lining of fat on a steak or lamb not the marbled cause that is fine just the excesss fat.

If you are eating 100% grass fed you don't have to worry about this. Omega 6:3 ratio in free range, grass fed animals is good.

No, you cant.

That is false.

so I agree.

I disagree

my bad on not seeing that.

As for the Saturated fat.

If your argument is Omega 6 ratios then i'll give you that. Good point. Although I tend to think they get a little bit over emphasized. Not sure it's as important as some think.

But there's a way around that problem. Aside from Omega3 supplementation.

Let's use a steak as an example...

The main reason it's got a high amount of Omega 6 is due to the Conventional Agriculture Feedlot Operation that is so common today. It's factory farming these cows. Food Inc., is a decent film to watch if you'd like to learn more about it.

They are fed an unnatural diet of corn and grains (high in omega6!) instead of an opportunity to graze pastures and eat grass (higher in omega3!).

So....

That's the problem with meat these days (along with antibiotics, hormones, nitrates, etc).

The solution? Eat Organic Grass Fed-Grass Finished Meat.

Not always financially feasible, I know, but that's the good stuff we were meant to eat.

Well put Adam I agree as well. Eating fats can be a good and bad thing. You need to pay attention to the amount your consuming as well as benefits/nutritional value.

For me eating a ribeye steak is delicious. Its a fatty piece of meat that I have no issues with. But when it comes to eating... say country fried steak that's disgusting. Not only is it deep fried but its usually served with gravy's, butters, mashed potatoes ext ext. I guess what I'm trying to say is knowing when to make healthier choices even though the ribeye steak is a fatty slice of meat its better than deep fried nastiness.

I'm not the type of person to pay attention to calories. I tend to take the, is it natural route and is it visually/obliviously healthy. Forcing yourself to count calories and limit intake seems unnecessary to me but i'm also not trying to gain or lose weight. Just eat good for you foods and snacks throughout the day in smaller portions and don't make yourself go crazy over small things.

No, you cant.

That is false.

so I agree.

I disagree

my bad on not seeing that.

As for the Saturated fat.

If your argument is Omega 6 ratios then i'll give you that. Good point. Although I tend to think they get a little bit over emphasized. Not sure it's as important as some think.

But there's a way around that problem. Aside from Omega3 supplementation.

Let's use a steak as an example...

The main reason it's got a high amount of Omega 6 is due to the Conventional Agriculture Feedlot Operation that is so common today. It's factory farming these cows. Food Inc., is a decent film to watch if you'd like to learn more about it.

They are fed an unnatural diet of corn and grains (high in omega6!) instead of an opportunity to graze pastures and eat grass (higher in omega3!).

So....

That's the problem with meat these days (along with antibiotics, hormones, nitrates, etc).

The solution? Eat Organic Grass Fed-Grass Finished Meat.

Not always financially feasible, I know, but that's the good stuff we were meant to eat.

Yeah thats true I just looked it up I didn't know that!

I go to a local butchers and I don't know if the beef is grass fed

I must find out

Thanks for the info and you too venam. :cool:

Well put Adam I agree as well. Eating fats can be a good and bad thing. You need to pay attention to the amount your consuming as well as benefits/nutritional value.

For me eating a ribeye steak is delicious. Its a fatty piece of meat that I have no issues with. But when it comes to eating... say country fried steak that's disgusting. Not only is it deep fried but its usually served with gravy's, butters, mashed potatoes ext ext. I guess what I'm trying to say is knowing when to make healthier choices even though the ribeye steak is a fatty slice of meat its better than deep fried nastiness.

I'm not the type of person to pay attention to calories. I tend to take the, is it natural route and is it visually/obliviously healthy. Forcing yourself to count calories and limit intake seems unnecessary to me but i'm also not trying to gain or lose weight. Just eat good for you foods and snacks throughout the day in smaller portions and don't make yourself go crazy over small things.

Very true

I also agree calorie counting is teetering on the verge of taking it too far

However I do think we should take into account the rough amount of calories we consume each day so we have the knowledge of our intake and can lose or gain weight easier.

With foods I find if its natural its healthy end of.

And for meat if its well raised and has a healthy natural life thats just as good.

I gotta say - I'm pretty sure these nuts are working miracles for me, even if it sounds stupid.

So, I've had LOTS of marks for 5 years now, and the only time I see improvement is when I stick to a strict diet. But this is the most improvement I've ever seen. My redness has faded DRAMATICALLY!

I stay away from sugar, bread etc. All I eat is Chicken, turkey, apples, Porridge, Lettuce, Tomatoes, Almonds and Cashew nuts.

At this rate i'll be clear in no time.