Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AI3forever

Lets face it, there's no permanent cure for acne.

You could say that something worked for you, that you had a severe bout of acne once and a certain treatment cured it from coming again. Well, I feel happy for you but there are three types of people in relation to acne.

One, a certain but rare kind of people who never ever have acne, just maybe the ocassional pimples. Two, the majority of people who have on off acne, but after sometime managed to get rid of the acne. And lastly, the group that I belong, another group of people where acne will persist no matter what you do.

Ive been to 10 over laser treatments. I wash my face EVERDAY. Ive tried going vegan. I drink TONS of water everyday. I went for facials, I tried taking isotretinoin for a few months. I tried taking vitamin C.

I tried pratically everything. Sometimes, it works and for a few weeks or even months I would have better skin, but then the acne returns. My whole face now are left with pit holes and scars.

I give up!

There are things that prevent acne... but in the end, we haven't yet found a "cure." Accutane is pretty darn close though (from what I've heard)

Yeah it works, but once you stop taking it the acne comes back. You cant be taking that forever too, its poison.

I think there is a cure, namely age and time. I've never seen old people with acne, as in never. A couple I saw have like boils or those flesh like cysts but not a single old person I saw has acne.

Edited by Vanzzzz

There are things that prevent acne... but in the end, we haven't yet found a "cure." Accutane is pretty darn close though (from what I've heard)

Yeah it works, but once you stop taking it the acne comes back. You cant be taking that forever too, its poison.

Not really... I have a friend on here who finished his course in like, 03, and it hasn't come back since. A lot of people finish their courses without acne coming back. At least not yet, even so it's been years for some people.

Edited by Ḻyssa

One, a certain but rare kind of people who never ever have acne, just maybe the ocassional pimples. Two, the majority of people who have on off acne, but after sometime managed to get rid of the acne. And lastly, the group that I belong, another group of people where acne will persist no matter what you do.

I'm in a fourth group: I can turn my acne on or off at will with behavioral changes. Live in sunlight, sleep in darkness, eat anything I want. Or don't, and then my acne heavily depends on managing diet.

Sometimes, it works and for a few weeks or even months I would have better skin, but then the acne returns.

I'm "lucky" to have highly reliable acne. If I don't actively manage my behavior, it's pretty much guaranteed to show up within about 48 hours.

I've never seen old people with acne, as in never.

Define "old". And the survey says:

The prevalence of acne reported in women versus men was as follows: 20 to 29 years, 50.9% (n = 276) versus 42.5% (n = 201) (P = .0073); 30 to 39 years, 35.2% (n = 152) versus 20.1% (n = 73) (P < .0001); 40 to 49 years, 26.3% (n = 93) versus 12.0% (n = 36) (P < .0001); and 50 years and older, 15.3% (n = 41) versus 7.3% (n = 18) (P = .0046). ... CONCLUSIONS: Acne continues to be a common skin problem past the teenaged years, with women being affected at higher rates than men in all age groups 20 years or older.

Or, for a study that actually looked for spots on faces instead of relying on reports:

Prevalence of facial acne in adults.

Goulden V, Stables GI, Cunliffe WJ.

Dermatology Department, Leeds General Infirmary, Leeds LS1 3EX, United Kingdom.

BACKGROUND: Acne is usually considered a disorder of adolescence, and a number of studies have examined the prevalence of this condition in the adolescent population. There are, however, relatively few data on the prevalence of acne in the adult population. OBJECTIVE: A community-based study was carried out to investigate the current prevalence of facial acne in adults. METHODS: Seven hundred forty-nine persons older than 25 years were examined for facial acne by means of the Leeds acne-grading technique. RESULTS: A degree of facial acne was recorded in 231 women and 130 men, giving an overall prevalence of 54% (95% confidence interval [CI], 49-58) in women and 40% (95% CI, 35-45) in men (P <.001). The acne observed in volunteers consisted principally of physiological acne, but clinical facial acne (grade > 0.75) was recorded in 3% (95% CI, 1.2-4.8) of men and in 12% (95% CI, 9-15) of women (P <.001). The prevalence of acne did not substantially decrease until after the age of 44 years (P <.001). CONCLUSION: This study shows a prevalence of clinical facial acne in women of 12%, which is likely to persist into middle age.

I mean old as in above 50 lol. Btw ur sample size for men above 50 is too small to approximate normal distribution.

I fall into the last category. I just turned 50 a few weeks ago and I still break out. I hate it because at my age I don't see women or men in my group have acne. I work with kids who are my kids age and they have better skin then I do!!!!! One of them has the most amazing skin, I just want to smack her! I even asked her what she uses and she just washes her face and thats it. Either its her genes or she is not telling all. No one in my immediate family has acne, so it must be from the relative that I got the lard ass from!!!! It sucks because I feel the "better you than me" looks or the "pity looks"And like others, I have tried everything but Accutane which my insuracne co. won't pay for. So basically I am screwed. I can see it now, I'll be the only one in the "home" who still uses bp! Wrinkles and bp, what a combo!!!!! Elf