Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I can remember playing Football in eight grade, free from any problems. I sometimes didn't take showers after practice, and would just go home and hang out with friends for the rest of the day. I used to get some pretty large Whiteheads here and there, they were embarressing. I remember one kid commenting that a rather large Whitehead on my nose made me look like "Rudolph." Well, I started using Oxy a bit, and showering more often and my skin was perfect. I hadn't had skin problems at all growing up, and I was happy to have clear skin.

The second week of school, my Freshman year, I come home from class and our power is off, as well as our Water. My mom tells me we quite literally have to abandon our home, and go to live with my grandfather in Idaho. Fucking Idaho? I remember thinking that nobody lives there. I had to leave my Football team, my friends, and my house of 13 years. We drove up to Idaho, it took a week to get situated, but I started school. My acne was still perfectly fine. I remember I was still using Oxy in the mornings before school, and was showering daily before school now.

The second week of classes in Idaho, I get called down to go to the front office. Lo and behold my father is standing there. I hug him, and he tells me, "I want you and Maddie (my sister) to come back to Texas with me. I've got the house back, and I want you to graduate from your high school and enjoy McKinney." I didn't really know what to think. I've lived with my mom my entire life.

Long story short, we pick up my little sister from HER school. The sheriff was with us. My mom drives up to her school as well, crying. I'm pretty sure her world was ruined. We move back to Texas. My dad wouldn't come home at night. There would be a span of 48 hours where we just wouldn't see him. I can clearly remember him CALLING one night to say, "I'm on my way home, stopping by Albertsons to get dinner. What do you want?" we told him...he never showed up that night.

My mom moved back down to Texas, to fight for custody. I've been living with her for about 3 years.

Now that the introduction is set, I wanted to talk about my Acne. My Acne FLARED up the first week I came back to Texas. I was extremely reclusive, I'm pretty sure I became depressed. I continued Football, and I would talk to friends here and there...but I never invited them over. I never went out after I got home from school. I was embarressed about my father not being home. I never had a ride anywhere.

This continued for most of high school. Broken promises by my dad. I quit Football my Sophomore year. I just couldn't take the embarressment of being unable to get a ride to practice anymore. I skipped two weeks straight my Sophomore year. Just sat at home playing on the Computer. Heh...

Most people probably see their High School graduation day as one of the best of their lives. I was finally done with mandatory schooling. To be blunt, I didn't even want to go. I hated my skin. I hated that I had so many beautiful friends growing up, and they were all dating now, or had cars, or had lives. I had nothing.

I sat on my ass for about 18 months after graduating. I've never cried about my life, but I think it was really starting to hit me: my life was no longer "planned out". It was completely up to me, now, to get myself a job and go to college. I had no will. No desire. No drive to live a healthy life. I just sat at home, playing World of Warcraft. I've always thought that true happiness started within, not from pharmeceuticals. But I finally said fuck it. I went to my doctor, and got Lexapro. It helped a bit, I suppose.

Fast forward to about...oh...7 months ago. One night I was laying on the couch falling asleep. A voice inside myself said "fuck this" and I literally jumped up, and walked myself down to the apartment workout complex. I started working out just like I had in Football. I used to be so big back then, so healthy. I had great skin, I was successful at it, I was respected for it. Well, needless to say, I continued working out. I signed up for Summer semester classes. I got myself a drivers license (yes, that's right, I got it at the age of 20.) I never asked my dad to help me get my license in high school. I really didn't like him at all, and I was embarressed about going out in public.

Well, here I am now. I exercise 5 times a week. I have 90's in a full load of college courses. My Texas History professor wants me to major in a History-related field, and said he'd write a recommendation for any job I want. I have a car, I have a license, I have a life. I'm still single, unfortunately, but over the past six or so months I've made strides to quit fucking around and take control. I was fucking tired of letting Acne dictate my life.

Three weeks ago, I got it in my mind to ask a very cute girl out at my college. We had talked maybe once or twice, and I thought she seemed very interesting. I knew she enjoyed football, and she has a sarcastic sense of humor like me. After pacing around after class for about 5 minutes like a moron, I finally went up and asked her out. She smiled and say "Maybe." Needless to say nothing came out of it, rofl.

I can honestly say, for once in my life, I didn't blame my Acne. I didn't even care. I finally grew a pair and did something I wanted to. That has been my goal for the past six months: to do what *I* want. And I did. And that felt good. If it wasn't obvious yet, I still have Acne. Despite 3 months of Dan's regimen, of changing to a VERY good diet, of very healthy exercise, and of drinking ONLY Water (I used to chug Soda's and such). Nothing has worked for my Acne.

I think I've just come to accept, as of late, that it's just who I am. I look back and figure that the extreme stress of moving to Idaho, and then back again; losing my mother, and being raised with an alcoholic father throughout the four most important years of my teenage life just ruined me. I've figured that it's not a diet problem, it's not a bacterial problem; it's just...me. Maybe it's hormonal, I don't know. I wish I did.

Anyways, I just wanted to write this all down. I'm extremely quiet about my Acne. I truly hate it, and have for years. It's sapped away my ability to...be. But I'm trying my best nowadays. I love school, I'm interested in my life again. Perhaps this is all just a lesson I have to learn. If so, I think I''m starting to learn it. I think people underrate just how truly detrimental Acne can be to a young adult's life. You don't want to go out, you don't want to date, you just want to sit your ass down and be alone. And this lifestyle in and of itself causes depression, stress, and even more confidence issues. It's a vicious cycle.

I will continue to live my life, and continue the regimen. My only hope is it goes away one day.

Note: I Photoshopped my avatar. My face hasn't been that clear in at least seven years.

Edited by Thanat0s

lol seems like u wrote a biography about my life! btw i just gave up using all those stupid acne products cuz nothing worked and magically my face got cleared i have no idea how. Ocassionally i would get 1 or 2 flare up but dat shit dont bug me too much considering how much acne i had.

My man Thanatos!! Its nice to see you again here. I never knew much about you as you were a quiet person in respect to your acne. Its cool to see the turn around you had mid way through. Everyone has that light bulb moment where you completely overhaul your current life and try and start fresh.

Exercising is excellent for acne; even if it doesnt help it it makes people happy and takes their mind off acne. I think this is the reason why people never say anything about my acne because im a big guy, 6'4, 14 stone well built. I love to exercise its by far my main hobby.

Whats funny is that im currently "mentoring" a guy into getting a healthier lifestyle. A friend of mine came to me and asked me if i would help him turn his fitness around. Its odd as his story is SO similar to yours. The only main difference is that he didnt have to move to a different part of the country.

Keep this up Thanatos!! Youre going to have a bright future.

lol seems like u wrote a biography about my life! btw i just gave up using all those stupid acne products cuz nothing worked and magically my face got cleared i have no idea how. Ocassionally i would get 1 or 2 flare up but dat shit dont bug me too much considering how much acne i had.

That's awesome, man. To be honest, lately I've thought about just stopping with the Acne products. It's been atleast three months on the Regimen, and I went out and bought some Acnomel from Walgreens about a month ago. It makes my facial skin extremely dry, and it's peeling and such. It's not painful, just annoying to live with. Maybe I'll just stop.

My man Thanatos!! Its nice to see you again here. I never knew much about you as you were a quiet person in respect to your acne. Its cool to see the turn around you had mid way through. Everyone has that light bulb moment where you completely overhaul your current life and try and start fresh.

Exercising is excellent for acne; even if it doesnt help it it makes people happy and takes their mind off acne. I think this is the reason why people never say anything about my acne because im a big guy, 6'4, 14 stone well built. I love to exercise its by far my main hobby.

Whats funny is that im currently "mentoring" a guy into getting a healthier lifestyle. A friend of mine came to me and asked me if i would help him turn his fitness around. Its odd as his story is SO similar to yours. The only main difference is that he didnt have to move to a different part of the country.

Keep this up Thanatos!! Youre going to have a bright future.

Thank you very much. I've always loved exercising, I was a beast when I played Football. But after quitting I just stopped caring. I'm back to loving it, again!

dont use acne products and ur skin will be better benzoyl p is pure bull

Yeah, it's looking like this might be a good way to go soon enough. Thanks!

Edited by Thanat0s

You know, I've thought about it, I'm gonna say "fuck it" to washing my face for a week or two. Of course I'll shower, but for the past 5, 6, hell maybe 7 years I've went from Proactive, to facial cleansers, to Apricot Scrubs, to Antibiotics, to w/e without stopping. It's time to just leave my face alone.

i just stopped using bp i have been using it for a year and a half. i now just use aloe vera gel and i just started moisturizing today actually so well see how it goes. but it was either the bp or the purpose soap or both that damaged my skin beyond repair... good luck with your new regimen i hope it works for you bro