Notifications
Clear all

Which race gets the most acne?

MemberMember
(@post-punk)

Posted : 11/14/2009 9:15 pm

..and which gets the least?

Sorry if I posted this on the wrong board. I didn't know where else to post this.

MemberMember
(@assassin-2)

Posted : 11/16/2009 7:10 pm

I'm not racist and I'm probably wrong with the following speculations but I believe white people get the least acne and asian/hispanic people get the most acne.

I notice that most white people have "dry/normal" skin.

I see many asians/hispanics with dark, oily skin, thus more acne.

Those asians you see on TV, in asian dramas, with flawless, porcelain skin are far from accurately representing the whole of asian people's skin. Those few are genetically lucky individuals.

MemberMember
(@jay_)

Posted : 11/16/2009 7:19 pm

any group of people that follow the western diet in my opinion have increased rates of acne. people who eat predominantly fish or vegetables seem to have decreased rates, from my experience. don't quote me on that.

MemberMember
(@skinbeingadouchebag)

Posted : 11/16/2009 7:31 pm

human

MemberMember
(@pausebreak)

Posted : 11/16/2009 7:37 pm

I heard acne "disease" didn't exist until 1700s when sugar was discovered. Don't quote me on that. I read that article in the past but I can't find it anymore.

MemberMember
(@ancientone)

Posted : 11/16/2009 7:37 pm

any group of people that follow the western diet in my opinion have increased rates of acne. people who eat predominantly fish or vegetables seem to have decreased rates, from my experience. don't quote me on that.

i definitely agree on that! because i have seen asian people white people latino people with gorgeously clear skin and others of there same races with acne prone skin...i think here in our country of the U.S. it just pretty even among ethnicities and i think the differnce between ethnicities is probably the type of acne they get : white more prone to cysts and nodules but less to hyperpigmentation..while its the opposite for black people

MemberMember
(@snoopyisaj)

Posted : 11/16/2009 8:51 pm

It depends on the person really, diet and everything but i agree about the western diet no doubt about that from my personal experience :(

MemberMember
(@peytar)

Posted : 11/17/2009 5:45 am

I hardly ever see a Russian with bad acne.

MemberMember
(@willow569)

Posted : 11/17/2009 3:21 pm

I have seen some research that indicated that the rates of acne are higher in whites and latinos - and that cystic acne is most prevalent in latino populations. I remember reading something about the genes for cystic acne coming from Spain - places the Spanish settled in/conquered ended up being areas where the populations became prone to more severe cystic acne (e.g., some areas in Europe, Mexico, Central and South America, etc.)

I read another study that compared acne types and severity in white and black women. I do recall there were differences - I think black women had more severe when they were younger, but white women were more likely to have acne problems after the age of 40.

MemberMember
(@johnthebaptist)

Posted : 11/19/2009 11:37 pm

I wouldn't say any gender get its the most really. As for whites it looks worse only because the skin is more fair. For blacks it doesnt look bad cause its black dots on a already black face. I'd image the western hemisphere would be at greater risk, not so much any particular race

MemberMember
(@crystal_willow)

Posted : 11/21/2009 7:30 am

i remember reading that white blondes seem to get acne of varying degrees most often.

I think this was a dermatologist saying that they saw a majority in his surgury coming in for treatment but there could be social factors for this i.e white girls will be able to see their acne more strikingly and are more likely, therefore, to seek treatment.

I personally have noticed more people with blond hair, fair skin and blue eyes seem to have persistant acne then those of other backgrouds. It could be these people simply often have more sensitive skin in general and so flareups are more common.

I am in this group and have found my skin to be like a little delicate thing which reacts to anything it can: acne on back, neck, chest and face, dry itchy skin on legs and prone to ingrowing hairs...

Just contact with the same surface for too long can cause problems.... :(

I am probably biased though as I am fair and blond and do feel quite sorry for myself ;)

MemberMember
(@kairasa)

Posted : 11/21/2009 11:36 am

I heard acne "disease" didn't exist until 1700s when sugar was discovered. Don't quote me on that. I read that article in the past but I can't find it anymore.

Actually, has been around since ancient times. Just because it's not mentioned by that particular name does not mean it didn't exist. Plus, many people with 'deformities' (and I use this term lightly) of any sort were usually deemed socially unacceptable and in some cases, ostracized from society depending on the severity.

MemberMember
(@toomanyman)

Posted : 11/22/2009 10:24 am

asians

MemberMember
(@ghostunit)

Posted : 11/22/2009 11:53 am

Hispanic gets bad scarring.

MemberMember
(@post-punk)

Posted : 11/24/2009 12:39 am

asians

A lot of the Asians I know either have really bad acne or really great skin.

MemberMember
(@xeroj)

Posted : 11/29/2009 10:05 pm

from my own experience it looks like alot of asians (not indians and pakistanis but far east asians like chinese and japanese people) have lots of acne scars. maybe untrue, but it sure seems like at least a quarter of the asian people i see have noticeably bad skin...

MemberMember
(@cool-n-confused)

Posted : 11/29/2009 10:12 pm

Indians dont get much ( people from india not natives). But I'm indian... I have acne. So I notice like out of all the indians I know, theres only very few that have acne. ( Teenage acne ) When I mean acne I mean like when it looks like a disease on the face not like 1 or 2 pimples.

dont quote me on this

MemberMember
(@sverd)

Posted : 11/30/2009 10:13 am

delete

MemberMember
(@whoartthou1)

Posted : 03/16/2013 2:59 am

I have seen acne on all races, but I SWEAR, i rarely see white/caucasion people with acne (not a few pimples) unless that person is really skinny (insulin related?)

Indian people (asian indian), rarely have skin problems, but the ones that do have it pretty bad (I am indian as well, so I know a lot of indians).

Asians from my experience either have FLAWLESS skin (skin you just want to touch and kiss) or HORRIBLE skin. Makes me wonder why?

Hispanics same thing as Asians. For men, it is weird how a lot of hispanic men I see have really nice clear skin (even with thick beards shaved off), and then others have really bad skin.

Dont call me a racist or anything, but I would say of all the races, scars look the worst on asians, hispanics, indians way more than on caucasions .

Also, I think I have only seen one or two african american men in real life (not the internet) who had pitted scarring. Most just seem to get PIH issues

(@LewisS)

Posted : 03/16/2013 7:13 am

I'd probably say Asians. Which is weird because you get a lot of Asiains with absolutely flawless skin (beyond anything a white person could achieve) and then you get a lot with really painful cystic looking acne. I'd definitely say they had the highest severity of acne.

A lot of white people have mild acne with whiteheads and such due to our lovely diet.