Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dance21

Is Accutane worth it?

I've had acne since I was 10 and its 5 years later now. When I was eleven it turned severe, and has stayed that way since. My skin scars VERY easily, so I have hundreds of scars.

Accutane seems like the appropriate choice right?

Well there's a catch, my family is extremely poor and can't afford to pay for Accutane without insurance (we don't have insurance) , is Accutane worth it to pay over $500 a month?

Should I try to get insurance just for Accutane or would this be expensive too?

Please help me! I don't know what to do.

Well, first of, it depends on how severe your acne is. Is it really severe or just moderate? If it's just moderate then are you sure that you've tried every other treatment? If not then I would keep trying. I was able to significantly improve my acne by getting advice from the holistic boards and it only cost me a few dollars. It might work for you and it wouldn't hurt to try. Personally, I don't think it's worth $500 and gosh that's a pretty ridiculous price..

Edited by shoes

$500.00 a month is an insane amount of money just for accutane! Get insurance! It's not worth $500.00 a month. Oh, yes and Peyton Sawyer from One Tree Hill is awesome. :D

Edited by Realme2008

$500.00 a month is an insane amount of money just for accutane! Get insurance! It's not worth $500.00 a month. Oh, yes and Peyton Sawyer from One Tree Hill is awesome. :D

Decent insurance, the kind that would actually cover accutane treatment, can easily cost over $500/month for a single person.

Decent insurance, the kind that would actually cover accutane treatment, can easily cost over $500/month for a single person.

Yeah. I'm not sure where you live and what health insurance is like there, but any plan is going to have either high monthly premiums or high out-of-pocket.

I live in MA and health ins is mandatory, you get fined at tax time if you don't have it. Because of this, I have a health plan with a low monthly premium, but I pay out the ass for prescriptions.

Either way, it sounds like you are gonna be shelling out dude :(

I agree with trying other methods first. A lot of people have great success with Dan's Regimen and simple, holistic treatments. It's totally worth it to try them first!

I've been dealing with acne for about 10 years now, and I still haven't given in to Accutane. It's my last resort, regardless of price.

Good luck with whatever you do :)

skylyre