Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ann_a_bell

Had dermabrasion w/Dr. Y.

Hi!!!!

I just wanted to check back in and tell ya that I just got back from New Orleans today after having my derma. Everything went excellent, and I can't wait till all of this redness and swelling is gone. It went more smoothly than I could have possibly imagined. The only thing that I felt was the 2 shots in the ass (actually they didn't hurt @ all), which made me feel REAL nice, and the cold "refridgerant" he sprayed on the area that was to be abraded. He abraded my entire face in like 45 min. I think he said, but I swear it only felt like 15 min. You can alreadly see most of the new pink skin comming in, and I only had the op on Tues.

I was so scared, but now I am glad that I went through with it, whatever the results. I think I would have been more disappointed if I would have changed my mind. I know it won't be perfect, but he said it would definetly be an improvement, that was all that I was looking for. Everyone was right, Dr. Y. and his entire staff were the sweetest people. They showed a lot of compassion and understanding during the whole thing.

If anyone is considering getting this procedure done, I strongly recommend it, but only if your going to see Dr. Y. He instantly puts you at ease and makes you feel like you can trust him with whatever he wants to do with your skin. I wish there were more doctors out there like him, but then I guess he wouldn't be one in a million. He is confident in his work and proud of it, deservingly! This might sound crazy, but it was a really was a good experience for me, not just for my appearance, but I am glad I was strong enough to put my self through this. I just hope that he realizes how much he does for people inside and out. biggrin.gif

Thanks for checking back with us. I am so glad to hear that it went well. I hope things heal well for you. smile.gif Please keep us posted.

Welcome back Ann-a-bell! I was thinking about you on Tuesday. I'm so happy (but not surprised) to hear that you had such a pleasant experience. Your skin will continue to get better and better (not like most procedures where after the initial swelling goes down, that's what you get). And as far as your point about "but it was a really was a good experience for me, not just for my appearance, but I am glad I was strong enough to put my self through this. I just hope that he realizes how much he does for people inside and out," I can realy relate. It's more than just a procedure you're having when you travel to be treated by him, but it's hard to explain. Anyway, here to a speedy recovery and please keep us updated.

--leo

I agree, but man, I feel so greasy, my hair and all!!! I just keep slapping the vasoline on and oooohhh the shaving cream and wiping it off hurts! Did you experience that? When I wipe it off a little yellow stuff comes off, but there appears to be soft white skin folding off a little, I'm afraid to wipe too much off, is that normal, what do you do? I'm just trying to keep it from crusting right now in certain areas, I am afraid of rubbing too hard. There is a lot of new really pink and red skin too, I know that's normal, by my gosh it is sensitive until I get that vasoline coated on it. :o

Hi ann_a_bell,

I hope you continue to improve. Yes, I remember for the first 4 or so days after I came home, it did sting a bit to clean the area. I used lukewarm water and I put the shavefoam on thickly and then let it sit there for a few minutes--this felt good. Then I gently wiped the excess off with gauze and used more water and gauze. I was very gentle and tried not to wipe those crusties off--they will come of on their own or just disintegrate. i should say, I was lucky enough to be able just to hibernate for as long as I needed, so i was in no hurry. Then I would very gently pat dry my face. Then, I would spritz on my amino-plex (actually, I didn't use this product until about a week after the procedure was done) and let that dry. Then I would slather on more vaseline. As for my hair, I'm embarassed to say that I went for about a week without a shampoo (but whatever--i was the only one around), because, as you say, the area was sore and I was hibernating anyway. I just kept my hair back in a headband to keep it off of my face. Worked pretty well. About a week after the procedure, you can switch to the Dove/aquaphor, which will make you less greasy.

Also, two things about gauging your progress. When I got home, i could still see my indents, but they keep filling in day by day. Also, it wasn't until I was able to put on foundation (about 10 days later), that I could really see the dramatic improvement. I think the pinkness distracts a bit when you are looking at yourself in the mirror-tone that down with make-up and the improvement is much more striking.

Oh yes, and now I'm in the itchy phase (which is normal)

Here's to a speedy and pleasing recovery

--leo

Thanks Leo. I acutally just got out of the shower, I had to wash my hair b/c it's almost waist length, the shower was FANTASTIC!!!. I will just leave those icky, peeling areas alone and slather on the vasoline. I'm in no hurry either, I'm actually excited that I get to sit here all day in jammies! wink.gif Dr. never said anything to me reguarding amino-plex, what is that, do I need that, if so I WANT SOME!!!! All he said was use the shaving foam and vasoline until all the crusties are gone, and then to start to wash w/Dove and apply Eucerin cream, then he said after a while to swith to Cetaphil, or maybe he said the cetaphil then Dove????? Anyways what is the amino-plex, and what does that do?

I don't know how soon I can use BP, but I really want to really bad. I am experienceing a small breakout around my hairline and on my chin. I'm freaking out. I call Dr. Y and he said only use the vaso now in the few snall areas that aren't healed yet, and to use Dove or Cetaphil to was with, then apply this Eucerin cream or Cetaphil cream, both or very thick and very greasy. I'm afraid of more breakouts b/c I have oily skin to begin with. I call my reg. derm. and tried to move my appt. from Aug to like now, he is supposed to call me back, not in the office until thurs. I want to use my Benzaclin on my breakout areas so bad!!!!!!!!!!!

First off, ann-a-bell, amino-plex is this spray that continains all sorts of healing/hydrating agents that some docs recommend after laser/chemical peels/dermabrasions. Dr. Y didn't specifically recommend it and it's certainly not necessary, but people on a few of these boards were raving about it and so I bought some. Can't say how much of an effect it's having, as I've never had a dermabrasion before and maybe I'd heal exactly the same w/o it, but who knows. I think it is helping though.

The breakouts you are having are normal and in fact is an expected, very common side effect, so don't worry about it. Try not to mess with them and they should go away on their own. I agree with Emma--I would wait for the go-ahead from Dr. Y on when you can use BP and other stuff on it. I've read that these initial breakouts are more cuased by the vaseline and heavy moisturizing you have to do after the procedure that by the procedure itself. It should resolve as you get back into your normal routine.

Anyway, I hope you're doing well. It's now been about 2 weeks for me and I'm doing really well--trust meit just keeps getting better and better and one week (which I think is how long it's been for you), is not when you're looking your best!

happy healing.

--leo

Leo and Annabel, so glad to hear that your recoveries are going well wink.gif Anna, I was wondering if you had your whole face dermabraded? My scars are basically all over my cheeks...theyre pretty shallow but theres a decent amount of them...Thank you

Yes, I had my entire face abraded, and he also did a chem. peel around my eyes, ouch!!!! that's what hurt!!!! He said that he had to b/c the surrounding skin would look 10 yrs. younger than my eyes if he did not.

Hello to those who had the procedure... :clap: I have a question for miss Leo, I read your posts and was wondering if your skin is healed enough after two weeks to go out in public? I would love to get this done by the Doc in NO. Money is not the problem I face but the downtime could be. What do you think about 3 weeks off?

Hi Sunblock,

As of this past Monday, it had been two weeks since I'd had my procedure (so now it's about 2.5 weeks), and I can say that I am very comfortable going out in public with makeup. You can wear make-up after about 8 days, but on me it looked chalky and unnatural. With a lot of moisturizing, I think I looked okay by about 1.5 weeks-2 weeks. Now, I can conceal the redness very well and my skin is not so dry. In fact, my only issue at this point is blending the dermabraded and non-abraded areas (not too difficult), so I imagine if you had the full face procedure that would eliminate that problem. I have pale skin with yellow undertones (pale sking with pink undertones is the ideal), and I think if your skin is a bit darker it may take a bit longer to fade, but I'm not sure. My guess is that 3 weeks should be more than enough--I promise to report back next Monday at my 3 week mark!

best of luck,

leo