Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LocalMack

Thyroid Hormones (for Hypothyroidism) and Breakouts?

Hi guys,

I've had decently stable skin for the last 2 years after starting on ProActiv; immediately prior to that, I was having crazy whiteheads popping up everywhere, which was awful (especially since I was 22 at the time).

I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism this spring - it's been present for a while, but I had never seen an endocrinologist before then. My mother (who developed/overcame thyroid cancer after living with hypothyroidism) told me that her skin never really settled down until she started taking thyroid medication, which provides the hormones that her (and my) thyroid no longer make.

My endocrinologist put me on Armour Thyroid in June, which is a natural medication derived from pig thyroids. It addresses both your T-3 and T-4. I took it for about 4 months, while continuing to maintain fairly clear skin. Unfortunately, due to problems with Armour's manufacturer, the medication became widely unavailable in October; it's extremely hard to get at the moment.

My doctor switched me over to generic Cytomel and Synthroid (one for T-3, one for T-4), both of which are synthetic. After three or four weeks, I had what I can safely say was the worst breakout in the past 2 years. There were't many, but the few that came were huge, open zits that have since left dark red marks - and all on my cheeks and along my jawline, which leads me to believe it was hormonal.

Of course, I freaked out and immediately assumed it was due to the switch in meds. I scoured New York City and found a pharmacy that could provide me with Armour. I've been taking it for about three weeks, and the breakouts have mostly subsided. No huge ones, at least.

Has anyone had any similar experience with thyroid hormones?