Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kyle H

Switching from Salicylic Cleanser to Purpose Cleansing Bar - Advice Needed

Hello!

I recently switched my cleanser to Purpose Cleansing Bar, having previously used the Obagi system whose cleanser includes Salicylic acid. My question is if I should be continuing to break out after a week from switching. I understand the "purging" brought on by Benzoyl Peroxide's introduction into a routine, but was curious if a "reverse" effect happens when your skin has been so accustomed to a more rigorous chemical routine, but you switch a gentle cleanser to help balance pH levels.

I had been using Obagi for a year. Although the breakouts I'm having are usually small, they're slowly gathering and taking a bit to heal. Maybe continuing to use BP for spot treatment may do the trick, but Epsom salts have helped dry out the little buggers fairly well.

My reactions overall to the Cleansing Bar have been great due to it controlling (rather than seemingly instigating) sebum production, thus leaving my face much less oily. On the same note, it has done nothing but moisturized my skin. So the question is on what to believe or rely; is my cleanser's benefits going to come through, or am I due to be ridden with breakouts if I continue this cleanser?

(As a side note, I began using Jojoba oil as a moisturizer with no reactions or breakouts during the introduction time. Does that necessarily mean it's not causing any problems? The idea of Jojoba causing breakouts seems absurd due to its makeup, but regardless it is an oil being placed on. I use it very sparingly as suggested.)

Some quick additions: Previous to using Obagi, I had been on Proactive for about 5 (too many) years. This is why I can see breakouts happening initially, but none of the new acne has been cystic, mostly just papules that flatten rather quickly (the redness takes time to subside, but that's just my skin's natural reaction).

Edited by Kyle H

Purpose isnt an acne cleanser its just a "gentle cleanser" I personally thought is was overly drying. However the liquid is alright. But what are you using to treat your breakouts? To answer your questions sure people tend to still break out for a few weeks either by itroducing a new system or ridding a system, acne takes weeks to form into the bumps that we see

Purpose isnt an acne cleanser its just a "gentle cleanser" I personally thought is was overly drying. However the liquid is alright. But what are you using to treat your breakouts? To answer your questions sure people tend to still break out for a few weeks either by introducing a new system or ridding a system, acne takes weeks to form into the bumps that we see

For breakouts I've been using Epsom salts mostly. They've done wonders in drying up the active bits. I have come to believe my skin's reliance on SA has not been beneficial in any way outside of trying to warrant oncoming acne. BP is used from time to time to deal with the active bits, especially ones stubborn to the salts. I try to use it sparingly as it has caused a lot of reddening which got reduced thanks to peels.

I'm overall just curious about the skin's reaction from a gentle cleanser(1) once SA and a large amount of BP are removed from daily use. I have yet to experience anything traumatizing and that comes from a 10-year victim; to say I'm pretty susceptible at getting irritable toward huge inflammations is putting it mildly.

1 Johnson & Johnson market the same thing as an Acne cleanser. Charge more, too. Shady business within a company's marketing.

Edited by Kyle H

hmm ive never heard of the salt bit. sounds like you dont stick to one exact regimen, one of the main reasons ive been clear is because ive stuck with the same regimen for 7 yrs. so while people think one product is "breaking them out" its usually purging. it took me 3 mos to get clear off the dk regimen. try vitamin like the ones I have in my sig..they work wonders