Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arcade

What to do with your hair!!

Hi there!!

Looking for a good appearance? It's my humble opinion that, like clothes and body-shapes, different hairstyles work well with acne prone skin - yet some don't.

Good hair can make the world of difference to your appearance and to your confidence. So, here we go.

Oh and sorry to the female population of the board.. this topic isn't for you I'm afraid :redface:

Gel

If you have acne, never use gel in your hair. Whether it is long or short - gel, grease, brylcream, shockwaves or waxed, it makes you hair look really greasy, making your face look greasy. When your hair is soft and gentle, it makes your skin look better and softer however bad your skin is. You want to avoid the chav stereotype of spotty skin and greased up hair to oblivion. Shower your hair one a day so that it's not picking all the dirt and grime up and passing it to your face.

Length

In my opinion, it is best if you have your hair long and big, simply for the fact that, if you do have acne on your forehead or at the back of your neck, your fringe will cover it right up, so nobody will ever notice. I don't bother with BP on my forehead, and it stays alright - if I do get a spot or too here and there, nobody will even see! :D

Remember, the more head of hair you will have, the more people will look at that rather than that self-conscious yellow head that's just appeared on the left hand side of your chin. If you 'don't do' long hair, then at least let your fringe grow!

Symmetry

I've not always noticed this, and I don't think others do either - the chances are that your skin isn't perfectly aligned - as in - there isn't a perfect split down the centre of your face where one side looks completely the same as the other. Why try to combat this with your hair?

I know this could sound mega crude, but big girls always look better with big hair - and the same goes for the rules of symmetry. If one side of the face looks different from the other, then you should do the same with your hair. Style it. Move it around - Ever noticed that the 'Samurai' look or the 'Ponytail' look never looks at all good with acne?

Hair that covers your head in particular styles and fashions is a lot more interesting to look at, therefore detracting someone's view from that yellow-head on the brow of your chin I was talking about earlier. Another thing - If you have one side of your forehead with an outbreak of acne, and the other side without, covering the danger side up will altogether make your skin look better and make your hair look more interesting.

Dictation

You can dictate the way your hair moves without the use of gel. It's easy. Get out a comb, a hairdryer and a towel when your hair is still wet from the shower. If you have wavy hair, drying your hair with a hairdryer should eventually straighten it out, and so lengthening it. But try to avoid touching your hair and fiddling with it too much throughout the day - the grease in your hands gets into your hair.. which gets onto your skin. If you do have the complete urge to fiddle with your hair.. make sure your hands are clean :D.

I hope this has helped and, I'm sorry if I was a bit crude. But the difference is, acne takes weeks and even years to improve, yet hair can take a matter of a few seconds. This adds to your overall looks, this heightens your confidence!!

:D :D :D

I'd love it if people read this topic and actually responded. I doubt that will happen but, if anybody has any more suggestions, feel free to add. That would be great.

Arcade

Edited by Arcade

You are definetly right about wearing a ponytail not being a great look for people with acne. But now that my skin is 100% clear as of yesterday i can't wait to go to the gym and not feel self conscious about how my skin looks on the side of my face.

I was wondering does anyone skip washing hair with conditioner? I have almost stopped using it, to help with acne on hair line and side of my face since i have really long hair. And if you still use it, what brand of conditioner do you use?

I have curly hair, so I use gel every day and it never makes my hair look greasy...so I kind of think that the gel rule isn't relevant for everyone. Also, I actually only use conditioner to wash my hair, and I don't get any extra acne from it because I don't let my hair hang in my face. I always will put it in a half back style or tuck it behind my ears so it's not rubbing up against my skin.

If you're getting acne on your hairline from your conditioner, it's because you should only be using it from the mid-length of your hair to the ends. Generally, the top of your head makes it's own natural oils and so usually you don't need to put conditioner on the roots.

I have curly hair, so I use gel every day and it never makes my hair look greasy...so I kind of think that the gel rule isn't relevant for everyone. Also, I actually only use conditioner to wash my hair, and I don't get any extra acne from it because I don't let my hair hang in my face. I always will put it in a half back style or tuck it behind my ears so it's not rubbing up against my skin.

If you're getting acne on your hairline from your conditioner, it's because you should only be using it from the mid-length of your hair to the ends. Generally, the top of your head makes it's own natural oils and so usually you don't need to put conditioner on the roots.

I guess i shouldnt have said hairline, but just the hair the lies around the side of my face. I have such long straight hair that my hair kind of just sticks to my face even if it is tucked behind my ear.

I did use to use gel near the top bc i have a lot of little baby hairs, i try not to use it there as much either.

And I do only condition midlength. I think it is just best to not use it, b/c my hair just feels even oiler using it and it irritates my skin. Iam just frustrated b/c i like conditioner and i want my hair to look good but using it seems to irritate my skin especailly near the cheeks.

I miss the days of having pretty hair, but then i feel like i would get acne again on the side of my face if i start using all the hair products i use to.

Wow, responses! :)

Well, this topic was kind of meant for males, as I have no idea about woman's hairstyles etc.

But yeah, I agree with the comments above. Keep on posting!