Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ijpinilla

Exfoliation after inflammatory acne is cleared

Thanks to Dan's regimen, my inflammatory acne has been cleared completely on my cheeks, chin, and nose, and only about five inflamed bumps remain on my forehead. But my question isn't about the regimen, it's actually about exfoliating after the inflamed bumps have cleared. I have no inflammatory acne on my face except my forehead as stated, but I have nice grouping of post-hyperpigmentation red/darkish marks on my left cheek and white/blackheads. I am aware that Dan dislikes manual/physical exfoliation because it's irritating, but does it really matter when inflammatory acne isn't present anymore?

My skin is extremely oily. I can literally soak up three Clean&Clear oil-blotting sheets to the point where the lipids in the oil completely make the sheets translucent. I think my oily skin is the problem of black/white heads and comedonal on my entire face, so I'm driven to exfoliate somehow and try to clear dead skin cells before my oily face traps them in my pores. I have used a home-made recipe of a sugar scrub on my face before that didn't break my face out, and of course I didn't use it on my inflamed bumps, but that was only once. I also have 2% salicylic acid and a toner with 3.5% glycolic acid, but I read that below 4% glycolic acid was pretty ineffective, and even with daily usage of a 4% glycolic acid it would help with red marks after acne.

I know this post contains many references that are specific to other topics on the board, but my main question centers around moderate inflammatory acne. Will manual exfoliation still irritate areas cleared of previous inflammatory acne and provoke another onset of an inflammatory breakout? Or should I just try the salicylic acid or AHA? I'm really kind of set on some kind of manual exfoliation with natural, non-irritating ingredients because I don't want to add anything extra to the regimen, and I want to exfoliation as soon as possible, and I can't use AHA on the regimen for another week. I just want to keep my face clear of dead skin cells since my oily skin (I think) is prone to trapping dead skin cells that most likely lead to my current problem.

Hopefully this long and drawn out post is clear about my question centering on what happens when you exfoliate areas (and the best way to exfoliate these areas) that were previously infected with inflammatory acne. I just tried to give as much info as possible. :D

Any info on the best ways to exfoliate after being cleared of moderate inflammatory acne would be awesome. Thanks!

post-115039-1258171206_thumb.jpg

post-115039-1258171206_thumb.jpg

I know exactly where you are coming from, I am using black soap it is a mixture of pure shea butter and coco butter I will let you know how things go.. it makes my face feel clean and refreshed.

Thanks to Dan's regimen, my inflammatory acne has been cleared completely on my cheeks, chin, and nose, and only about five inflamed bumps remain on my forehead. But my question isn't about the regimen, it's actually about exfoliating after the inflamed bumps have cleared. I have no inflammatory acne on my face except my forehead as stated, but I have nice grouping of post-hyperpigmentation red/darkish marks on my left cheek and white/blackheads. I am aware that Dan dislikes manual/physical exfoliation because it's irritating, but does it really matter when inflammatory acne isn't present anymore?

My skin is extremely oily. I can literally soak up three Clean&Clear oil-blotting sheets to the point where the lipids in the oil completely make the sheets translucent. I think my oily skin is the problem of black/white heads and comedonal on my entire face, so I'm driven to exfoliate somehow and try to clear dead skin cells before my oily face traps them in my pores. I have used a home-made recipe of a sugar scrub on my face before that didn't break my face out, and of course I didn't use it on my inflamed bumps, but that was only once. I also have 2% salicylic acid and a toner with 3.5% glycolic acid, but I read that below 4% glycolic acid was pretty ineffective, and even with daily usage of a 4% glycolic acid it would help with red marks after acne.

I know this post contains many references that are specific to other topics on the board, but my main question centers around moderate inflammatory acne. Will manual exfoliation still irritate areas cleared of previous inflammatory acne and provoke another onset of an inflammatory breakout? Or should I just try the salicylic acid or AHA? I'm really kind of set on some kind of manual exfoliation with natural, non-irritating ingredients because I don't want to add anything extra to the regimen, and I want to exfoliation as soon as possible, and I can't use AHA on the regimen for another week. I just want to keep my face clear of dead skin cells since my oily skin (I think) is prone to trapping dead skin cells that most likely lead to my current problem.

Hopefully this long and drawn out post is clear about my question centering on what happens when you exfoliate areas (and the best way to exfoliate these areas) that were previously infected with inflammatory acne. I just tried to give as much info as possible. :D

Any info on the best ways to exfoliate after being cleared of moderate inflammatory acne would be awesome. Thanks!

I recently dropped my cleanser and am washing with baking soda. It cleanses well and leaves your skin very soft. It has helped quite a bit with my inflammatory acne and seems to be healing red marks faster than without. There's a thread by a girl named romey about it. Do a search and it'll come right up. Read up and see if it might be something you would want to incorporate.

I looked at your picture and it looks a lot like the acne I get, except you look like you are clearing up so you just have the marks left. But your skin is similar to mine. You can see the "lines" like me, and I have very oily skin, opened pores, etc., but my skin looks worst, you look like you are about to become completely clear.

Worst is I also seem to get acne due to shaving (and if I don't shave the facial hair makes it difficult to wash the face and I get pimples as the sebum remains on the facial hair and makes my face more oily as a result).

I recently dropped my cleanser and am washing with baking soda. It cleanses well and leaves your skin very soft. It has helped quite a bit with my inflammatory acne and seems to be healing red marks faster than without. There's a thread by a girl named romey about it. Do a search and it'll come right up. Read up and see if it might be something you would want to incorporate.

Oh, really? I thought about baking soda as an exfoliant but didn't think about replacing my cleanser with it! What a great idea. I'm gonna have to search that post and try this. Thanks! :D