Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Carson

I have to get off of the regimen before college

As a guy, there is no way I want to be washing my face every morning and night at college in dorms with a hall bath. I really need to get off of this. I've been on it for a year and a half now, and it works great for me. I want to just stop all together and see how bad I break out, but I can't bring myself to do it.

How can I make an easy transition? I want to either quit or take some type of pill to keep me clear. Any recommendations?

As a guy, there is no way I want to be washing my face every morning and night at college in dorms with a hall bath. I really need to get off of this. I've been on it for a year and a half now, and it works great for me. I want to just stop all together and see how bad I break out, but I can't bring myself to do it.

How can I make an easy transition? I want to either quit or take some type of pill to keep me clear. Any recommendations?

What type of acne do you have? There is mild acne, moderate acne, and severe acne. If you suffer from chronic cystic acne and oily skin a derm may prescribe you accutane.

Edited by Realme2008

I really do not think anybody would care. I have seen so many people in college (guys) washing their faces. These days, it's ok for a guy to care about his looks. Don't sweat, isn't looking good more important than worrying about if somebody cares about how you take care of yourself?

Edited by Warrior of Acne

I really do not think anybody care. I have seen so many people in college (guys) washing their faces. These days, it's ok for a guy to care about his looks. Don't sweat, isn't looking good more important than worrying about if somebody cares about how you take care of yourself?

Exactly, I don't see how good hygiene is a problem among others. I'd suspect more speculation from not conducting proper hygiene. I dunno why you would quit the regimen if it's working great for you, but hey.. to each his own.

I think he's also worried about the amount of time it can take. How about just doing it once a day and see how that works?

I made an account specifically to post this. Nobody will care if you're washing your face. Seriously. University life is very different from high school. People will just think that you take care of your health, nothing more. Just be happy you don't have to go on accutane, because that will mess you up way more than washing your face twice a day! Not bashing accutane, but it's a drug.

I really do not think anybody care. I have seen so many people in college (guys) washing their faces. These days, it's ok for a guy to care about his looks. Don't sweat, isn't looking good more important than worrying about if somebody cares about how you take care of yourself?

I agree with this. But if you are determined to try and get off of it, I would suggest weaning off gradually. Or, as someone else suggested, try doing it once daily (at night maybe) and see if your skin can remain clear.

Otherwise, go see a Dermatologist for other options since you were wondering about a "pill".

Good luck!

Some guys might think that washing your face taking care of it is sissy.. But when u are tensed about the break outs you get.. They will never share the embarrassment you face.. nor are they gonna be bothered about how bad you are acne gets... So if u want something in your life at times you gotta ignore what people say and do what you want to achieve something... If u do get off the regimen.. it might still keep ur skin clear maybe you have grown out of acne... who knows ... You were on the regimen for a pretty long time and you can check if u do have to continue wit the regimen or not... :)

I was watching a video from Dan and he said if he you want to get out off the regimen then wane yourself off by using less bp. I would say go backwards with the regimen and then after a month i would use it once every other day and see how that goes.

But like everyone else said i don't see why you wouldnt want to do the regimen. Everyone is so involved in their own life in college that they wouldn't even notice. (Graduating this december)

i agree with everyone here. i used the regimen for a semester in the dorm bathrooms and no one cared. at first i was self-conscious and would try to wait until no one was in there, but that never happened. so i just did it. plenty of other guys wash their faces in the bathroom (and still had acne.. i wish i could've shared the regimen with them!).

and just in case this matters to you at all, i'm 5'11, 180 lbs and very muscular/athletic. and i wash my face--no one cares. like someone above said, no one cares about that stuff in college. besides, would you rather have some dumbass make a comment about your clear skin or have acne? i'd always, always pick the former. at the very least, bring in some hot freshman girl you meet with your nice skin to the someone who makes a crack at you for washing your face.

I definitely get what all of you guys are saying. However, my main concern is the time it takes. Do I really want to make 3 trips to the hall bath every morning and night? (1 to cleanse, 1 to apply BP, 1 to moisturize).

I really don't have self confidence issues or anything. But surely yall can see why I wouldn't want to start off my freshman year spending a ton of time in the bathroom like a girl or something.

Someone also said something about how guys taking time to look good is accepted these days. I mean yeah it's great to be clean and have good hygiene, but I'd rather not look like a metro-sexual dude to my new dorm hall people.

Oh and in response to the first post, mild.

I definitely get what all of you guys are saying. However, my main concern is the time it takes. Do I really want to make 3 trips to the hall bath every morning and night? (1 to cleanse, 1 to apply BP, 1 to moisturize).

I really don't have self confidence issues or anything. But surely yall can see why I wouldn't want to start off my freshman year spending a ton of time in the bathroom like a girl or something.

Someone also said something about how guys taking time to look good is accepted these days. I mean yeah it's great to be clean and have good hygiene, but I'd rather not look like a metro-sexual dude to my new dorm hall people.

I do not want to judge, but you seem kind of homophobic. Also, I do understand the time it takes. Try cutting back on the amount of BP.

I do not want to judge, but you seem kind of homophobic. Also, I do understand the time it takes. Try cutting back on the amount of BP.

I wouldn't call myself that. I'm just so used to the stupid immature kids in High School, who love to judge. I really hope college is different like people say.

I wouldn't call myself that. I'm just so used to the stupid immature kids in High School, who love to judge. I really hope college is different like people say.

It is a LOT better! Trust me. No more stupid people like that. I remember high school and it sucks!

If anyone actually made fun of you, they'd just poke fun for the first few times you do it. And then you keep doing it everyday, and they notice it's just a routine, and eventually they really won't care or think any less of you. And I'm sure you'll run into other guys with their own regimens/cleansing products.

You could try keeping the BP/Moisturizer in your room so that you don't have to keep going back and forth? I leave my BP near my bed and put it on as I pray or watch a youtube video before knocking out.

Yeah, I really don't see the big deal. Why do you need to run to the bathroom to apply BP and moisturizer? Why not just cleanse in the bathroom, then go back to your dorm and apply the BP and moisturizer?

Also, yes, in college, people aren't nearly as ignorant or judgmental - depending on the college, I suppose. Unless your surrounded by idiot jocks who only got in to play sports for the school (though not all are idiots or judgmental) , I highly doubt your routine will be a problem.

Most of the time, in college, if you don't bug other people, they don't bug you.

I'd say stick with it and don't worry about others.

-oh, and since when it is metrosexual to take care of your skin?

Edited by gMARIAs

There's no need to make three trips to the bathroom if you don't want to. Get yourself a small travel size mirror or room mirror and a pack of either baby wipes or hand wipes of some kind, something disposable. After your initial trip to the bathroom to wash your face, go back to your room. When it's time, get out your small mirror and apply your bp, wash off your hands with your hand wipes. Then when it's time to apply the moisturizer, do the same thing.

Your age shows, son. In college you do whatever the hell you want. In fact I've noticed that all guys CONSTANTLY stare at themselves in the mirror, whether they're in the bathroom or the gym. Even on the regimen I don't stare at myself half as much as these other guys. You'll be standing in the dorm bathroom with a few guys at the sinks next to you (or girls if it's a co-ed bathroom), and you'll all be staring at yourselves in the mirror, doing your own thing, and talking and laughing with each other. No one will judge you for trying to combat acne, because they'll either be in the same boat or they'll think it's a good idea since there's nothing worse than having a giant zit on your face while trying to talk to a girl. These are not judgmental people, especially not first semester Freshman year. These are people who are desperate to make friends in this new setting and are trying desperately themselves to fit in. They'll do anything to be friends with you.

i agree with everyone here. i used the regimen for a semester in the dorm bathrooms and no one cared. at first i was self-conscious and would try to wait until no one was in there, but that never happened. so i just did it. plenty of other guys wash their faces in the bathroom (and still had acne.. i wish i could've shared the regimen with them!).

and just in case this matters to you at all, i'm 5'11, 180 lbs and very muscular/athletic. and i wash my face--no one cares. like someone above said, no one cares about that stuff in college. besides, would you rather have some dumbass make a comment about your clear skin or have acne? i'd always, always pick the former. at the very least, bring in some hot freshman girl you meet with your nice skin to the someone who makes a crack at you for washing your face.

Listen up. If you're clear, why are you using BP? It may be necessary for acne prevention, but it may not. You could try to stop using it and see if you break out, and if you do, add it back.

You only need 1 visit to the bathroom and it only needs to take 2 minutes. First, wash your face and towel dry. Then, apply moisturizer. Do this in the morning after shaving (I use an electric razor). There's no need to wait in between steps unless you've just showered, in which case you may need to wait a minute or two before moisturizing to let your face dry a little bit. You can brush your teeth in the meantime.

Taking care of yourself is easy. You need to wash and moisturize every day (twice a day is best, aim for this). If you are breaking out, throw in some treatment like BP.

If anyone disagrees with me or has questions, PM me 'cuz I'm probably not going to be checking back on this thread.

It is a little time consuming to do the regimen. I would suggest just using the bathrooms to wash your face and then buy yourself a vanity mirror to put in your room (you can buy one that hangs on a wall or buy one that sets on a dresser/table) and use the vanity mirror for the rest of your regimen (topical and moisturizer). That way the only time your in the bathroom is to wash your face.

Edited by sweetserenity