Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ya like i figure it's either sun damaged skin or just red marks. Just want to make sure, it's not something else, like rosacea so i took a picture. Can someone confirm that it's either of those 2? And maybe let me know how bad it is? Oh and i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good sun screen, i don't mind ones that you can buy online, but if possible please list one you can find locally like at cvs or something. I just bought some aqua glycolic and aloe vera gel by fruit of the earth. Hoping that'll help my marks, but i wasn't sure if i need sun screen especially with december approaching, but i guess i still need it. I did try something like this similarly before, using a AHA lotion and sunscreen, but i used some cvs brand or a generic sun screen and i think it irritated my skin a bit, enough to make the idea of reducing any red marks not worth it if i was going to get more breakouts. But now i want to make another attempt at getting rid of them ;\

Other stuff i'm using is: benzoyl peroxide, blemish drying lotion, milk of magnesia, and tea tree oil.

Any opinions/advice would be helpful. Particularly about the red marks i got, and also is there a better way to get rid of those bumps, like i got one on the left side of my face, near the temple. I was wondering if like the sulfur/alcohol from the blemish drying lotion would help peel it off or something. But i don't know, well thanks. Here's the pics. The redness i'm talking mostly about is near the nose, on either side of my face, but can mostly see it on the 2nd picture. Okay thanks ;]

First

Second

Edited by Supremeone

First of all, your red marks aren't that bad. Secondly, you said you use "benzoyl peroxide, blemish drying lotion, milk of magnesia, and tea tree oil". I think that all those products may be irritating your skin even more. Just stick with one (unless you alternate them). Tea tree oil and BP work the same way so you could probably axe one of them. I do not know what the blemish drying lotion is, but you mentioned that it had alcohol in it. Nobody should use any alcohol on their face for acne, so I would stop using it. Hopefully I was of some help :D

thanks, ya i just normally have associated tea tree oil with bringing down big bumps faster, like dries them out. Blemish drying lotion is a product i found at drugstore.com, had good reviews. But do you know of any good moisturizing sun screen? Also you said the marks weren't that bad, so i guess the aha i'm using now should suffice, and don't need any stronger, like a chemical peel.

You could always try a chemical peel. I use them at home (everybody says I should go to a dermatologist to get one done) and I use a 30% Lactic Acid peel for about 3 minutes once or twice every 2 weeks and my very mild scars have pretty much disappeared and it kept my acne under control. Just make sure to start out extremely slow. I burned half my face off the first time because I used it for ten minutes without thinking and being stupid. Had a scab for a month :/

As for sunscreen, La Roche Posay has always made great sunscreen. You can find it at Sav-On. Most places sell it. It is a little pricey though so you can always try Eucerin (the one with the SPF # on it).

hmmm ya might try a lactic peel after i try this aqua glycolic stuff. I did try a glycolic acid peel in the past, i think i did like a 15% one or 20%, i don't remember though, was the one slightly stronger than the weakest one. I hated though how i had to use the baking soda to neutralize the acid. Well i think that's because it burned a bit when i did that, well overall whole thing was irritating. Is a lactic peel stronger? Wonder if the best route to go is with the aqua glycolic type stuff, since it's less irritating. And ya eucerin seems like an easy brand to find for sun screen.

Okay i have another question though, do you think masks help with reducing pimple size? A long time ago, I used to use a queen mint julep mask and that helped sometimes, kinda forgot about using that. Think that's a good idea? I also remember seeing a proactiv commercial where they mentioned the refining mask and jessica simpson said that helped her a lot with just a dab of it. But would it matter if i got the proactiv one or not? Probably would need to moisturize afterwards regardless i think too.

Try the Queen Mint Julep Mask. The Proactiv mask is overpriced. About the peels, 15% isn't too strong so you'd have to wait a while to see results. I think Lactic Acid is less irritating, but that is just me. By the way, you do not have to use baking soda to neutralize the peel. Good old h2o works just as well, but you have to use lots.

okay not sure i'll be able to find that though. unless i order it online. Stores near to me that have products like that would be wegmans and cvs. Here's a list of products they have, let me know if any of those would be a worthy substitute for the queen mint julep mask. The freeman ones are like $4, and all others are like $8-10. Since i also have to get sun screen which is like $10, might want to try the freeman but idk. However, the one with papaya enzyme sounds like it'd be effective for peeling off skin:

Wegmans:

Alba Botanica Hawaiian Facial Mask, Papaya Enzyme

CVS:

Skin Nutrition with Phytomins Clarifying Face Mask

Skin Nutrition with Phytomins Hydrating Face Mask

Neutrogena Clear Pore Cleanser/Mask

Boots Botanics Vitamin Recovery Mask

Freeman Feeling Beautiful Facial Enzyme Mask Pineapple

Freeman Feeling Beautiful Facial Peel-Off Mask Cucumber

Freeman Feeling Beautiful Facial Clay Masque Avocado & Oatmeal

Okay well more importantly than the mask stuff, what would you recommend out of these 2 sun screens? One is cheaper and seems like it's for face or body, and 2nd one is for your body. I think eucerin could be better but idk.

Lubriderm Lotion, Daily Moisture with SPF 15

Eucerin Everyday Protection Body Lotion Spf 15

Here's ingredients for them, starting with first one:

Active Ingredients: Octinoxate (7.5%), Octisalate (4%), Oxybenzone (3%). Inactive Ingredients: Purified Water, C 12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Cetearyl Alcohol (and) Ceteareth-20, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Monostearate, Propylene Glycol, White Petrolatum, Diazolidinyl Urea, Trolamine, Edetate Disodium, Xanthan Gum, Acrylates/C 10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Vitamin E, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance, and Carbomer.

Active Ingredients: Homosalate, Octinoxate, Octisalate, Titanium Dioxide. Other Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Urea, C18-36 Acid Triglyceride, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Dimethicone, Octyldodecanol, Sodium Lactate, Arginine HCL, Tocopheryl Acetate, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Chondrus Crispus (Carrageenan), Peg-40 Castor Oil, Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate, Disodium EDTA, Sodium Citrate, Lactic Acid, Carbomer, Citric Acid, Trimethoxycaprylylsilane, Propylparaben, Potassium Sorbate.