Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've been on the regimen for over 6 months now and have no active acne but I have red marks. They are fading and I am using AHA+ but I still think it's a little slow so I was wondering whether IPL sessions could help?

I was told that IPL laser targets red and brown spots on the face. I have redness under and around my nose and red marks from old acne also brown discoloration from the sun and am thinking of having this done. I too would love to hear from anyone who has had this done.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have this done and just had a talk with a beautician who said that I had to stop using benzoyl peroxide for 2 months before I could start. I just recently got completely rid of acne so I'm not sure if I just want to stop using BP altogether. I know that I would break out if I did. I'm going to see a dermatologist and see if he can help me find what's best for me to do. However I would appreciate your suggestions as well. Having gotten rid of acne, is there anything I could use other than BP to keep it from coming back?

Hi I'm fairly new here but thought I'd share my experience with IPL. Sorry this is long!

A few years ago I went to a beauty clinic staffed by medical professionals who offer IPL. My issues were a pale birthmark on my forehead, mild rosacea symptoms on nose, cheeks and old (quite purplish) acne scars on chin. I also had broken capillaries on nose and cheeks.The Dr took a look at my skin and was not too sure about how successful we would be with my already pale pink birthmark. He said it almost looked like a port wine stain after 6 treatments - it's pale already but I told him how it really annoys me when it flares up. (It looks awful when I exercise or am at the beach etc. I have difficulty covering it with makeup because my skin is so oily). He said that there were other benefits to IPL in that it stimulates collagen production, so at the very least I would have that. I told him that I'd be happy with any reduction in redness. He said we should do well with my chin and cheeks and nose.

He advised that realistically, I would need at least 2 full face treatments to see benefits. I have to have them one month apart. So I agreed to that.

The first thing that happens is you lie down on a bed which reminds me of a dentists chair because it goes up and down electronically. Then you get some oily lotion put all over your skin. Then you are given some adhesive eye protection.

Then the machine is turned on and the Dr begins progressively zapping areas of my face. The tip has a cooling effect attached. So as soon as the hot flash is done, you have that nice cooling sensation. He went over my whole face once and then went over my chin, cheeks, sides of nose, and forehead again. The worst areas for discomfort are upper lip, just under the lower lip and also sides of nose. The rest is quite tolerable.

The whole thing took about 10 minutes. He said I would be quite red in the face for a few hours and my cheeks might swell up. He said I should be normal looking again by tomorrow or the next day. It just looked like I've been for a run or had a sunburn. My skin felt hot like a sunburn while I was driving home but an hour later, I just feel a slight tingling in my cheeks and that's it. I believe it is not uncommon to purge with IPL and I did have a pimple immediately after my 1st session... But it quickly went away and some weeks went by before I broke out again. (Which is pretty good for me).

After my second (and last) session, my skin looked really calm. Other benefits I noticed:

-- less oiliness in my t-zone. I used to need 4 C&C blotting films (back and front) to completely blot my skin in the middle of the day. My skin has normalised quite significantly. I still get a bit oily but not as bad (it's more like a "glow" - LOL [Temporary effect - my skin returned to its oily ways within a month of treatment]

-- 2 red broken capillaries on my cheek faded by about 60% [Permanent effect]

-- my previously very-red chin faded by about 50% [Permanent effect]

-- a general evening-out of skin tone. Skin appears less blotchy [Temporary effect - but good skincare will help achieve this]

-- as mentioned earlier, a reduction in hormonal breakouts [Temporary effect - I started breaking out again within a month or so]

-- minor improvement in my pale pink birthmark [Permanent effect]

-- some small freckles have completely disappeared. [Permanent effect]

I hope this helps! :)

I started getting IPL treatment yesterday. It's really odd becuase the intervals are short (weekly) and they told me I can't use BP or Retinoids 24 hours before and 24 hours after treatment. Does that sound odd to anyone else? I really trust these people.

I wanted to start IPL and the beautician said I had to be off BP for 2 months which I can't because then I will break out... Does anyone think she's wrong and that the post above is more right?

Thanks!

I wanted to start IPL and the beautician said I had to be off BP for 2 months which I can't because then I will break out... Does anyone think she's wrong and that the post above is more right?

Thanks!

I haven't gotten much help on the topic around here. Since my IPL is scheduled so closely together and I've been told I cannot use BP/Retin A only 24 hours before and after each treatment, that I'm getting it done on the lightest setting possible.