Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jojo09

Jojo09 Accutane Log

Hi. I'm a 24 yr. old female and I have been struggling with acne since I was 14 yrs. old. I have tried everything i.e. topical treatments, antibiotics, facials, etc and nothing has helped. The latest medicine I used was Tazarac. It helped for about a month then the acne came back. After much consideration and research I have decided to try Accutane. I have a dermatologist appointment today for blood work and I will pick up my prescription on Monday. I hoping I will be able to start Accutane early next week.

I decided to do a blog to track my progress and seek advice from people who have used or are thinking about Accutane. I have read many blogs positive and negative. I'm hoping Accutane will get rid of my acne! Please feel free to post your comments and suggestions.

Hi. I'm a 24 yr. old female and I have been struggling with acne since I was 14 yrs. old. I have tried everything i.e. topical treatments, antibiotics, facials, etc and nothing has helped. The latest medicine I used was Tazarac. It helped for about a month then the acne came back. After much consideration and research I have decided to try Accutane. I have a dermatologist appointment today for blood work and I will pick up my prescription on Monday. I hoping I will be able to start Accutane early next week.

I decided to do a blog to track my progress and seek advice from people who have used or are thinking about Accutane. I have read many blogs positive and negative. I'm hoping Accutane will get rid of my acne! Please feel free to post your comments and suggestions.

I went to the dermatologist yesterday to get blood work done. I was out of there in 15 minutes (hooray). The physician’s assistant said I can pick up my prescription on Monday. I hope there will be no issues and I can start Accutane next week. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

I went to the dermatologist yesterday to get blood work done. I was out of there in 15 minutes (hooray). The physician’s assistant said I can pick up my prescription on Monday. I hope there will be no issues and I can start Accutane next week. I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

Good luck! i just started 18 days ago :) what kind of acne do you have? mine is moderate but PERSISTENT AS FUCK. and for me nothing worked. so i am keeping my fingers crossed :D

Good luck! i just started 18 days ago :) what kind of acne do you have? mine is moderate but PERSISTENT AS FUCK. and for me nothing worked. so i am keeping my fingers crossed :D

Thank you. My acne is moderate. I also have a lot of blackheads and scarring from old acne. I’m also very oily- I’m constantly using blotting sheets. So annoying! I can't wait for the day I won't need the wipe my face every 30 minutes.

I'll check out your log so I'll have an idea of what to expect the first few weeks.

Edited by jojo09

Thank you. My acne is moderate. I also have a lot of blackheads and scarring from old acne. I’m also very oily- I’m constantly using blotting sheets. So annoying! I can't wait for the day I won't need the wipe my face every 30 minutes.

I'll check out your log so I'll have an idea of what to expect the first few weeks.

Day 1

Great News! Yesterday I went to the dermatologist and she wrote my prescription for Accutane Whoohoo! I rushed home, completed my questions and headed to the pharmacy. I am taking 40 mg of Claravis once a day for the first month. After that my derm wants to put me on 60 mg twice a day. I’m so excited! I've read many blogs about the side effects, but I'm anxious to see if Accutane will work for me. Oh, the derm recommended that I buy Dove soap and lots of Aquaphor.

Day 2

I woke up with a headache. Other than that, I'm fine. I took one Tylenol so hopefully that will kick in soon. No dry lips yet. :dance:

After many many years, this is the first time that I don't have to go through a long regimen. Just wash my face, moisterizer, apply makeup and go! :)

Edited by jojo09

Day 1

Great News! Yesterday I went to the dermatologist and she wrote my prescription for Accutane Whoohoo! I rushed home, completed my questions and headed to the pharmacy. I am taking 40 mg of Claravis once a day for the first month. After that my derm wants to put me on 60 mg twice a day. I’m so excited! I've read many blogs about the side effects, but I'm anxious to see if Accutane will work for me. Oh, the derm recommended that I buy Dove soap and lots of Aquaphor.

Day 2

I woke up with a headache. Other than that, I'm fine. I took one Tylenol so hopefully that will kick in soon. No dry lips yet. :dance:

After many many years, this is the first time that I don't have to go through a long regimen. Just wash my face, moisterizer, apply makeup and go! :)

What kind of makeup do you use? I dread wearing makeup, I feel like its oging to break me out even more. How long do you usually leave it on for? & also will wearing makeup every day break me out or will the accutane take care of that?

Day 1

Day 2

What kind of makeup do you use? I dread wearing makeup, I feel like its oging to break me out even more. How long do you usually leave it on for? & also will wearing makeup every day break me out or will the accutane take care of that?

I use Prescriptives All Skins mineral powder, but since they are going out of business soon...I have to find another good brand. My derm also suggested Bobbi Brown. I only use powders because I hate the feeling of foundation. Usually, I wear make for about 9 hrs a day. After blotting my face every hr there's barely any makeup left on my face by then.

My derm told me Accutane will take care of everything but continue to use non- comedogenic makeup. What type of makeup do you use?

Day 1

Day 2

I use Prescriptives All Skins mineral powder, but since they are going out of business soon...I have to find another good brand. My derm also suggested Bobbi Brown. I only use powders because I hate the feeling of foundation. Usually, I wear make for about 9 hrs a day. After blotting my face every hr there's barely any makeup left on my face by then.

My derm told me Accutane will take care of everything but continue to use non- comedogenic makeup. What type of makeup do you use?

Day 3

No headache today. :angel: I’m noticing that I’m constantly thirsty. No matter how much I drink, I feel like my throat is still dry. My lips are starting to get dry. It's very mild though and manageable. Am I supposed to get side effects so soon? I’m only on day 3.

Day 5

My lips are getting drier everyday, but it’s still manageable. The only major change was my bleeding gums. While brushing my teeth this morning, I looked down and I saw blood in the sink. My gums don’t hurt and they are not swollen so why are they bleeding. I don't want to have any problems with my teeth/gums especially when Thanksgiving is next week (I plan to eat everything :angel:) Is this normal? Should I be concerned? Has this happened to anyone? Please leave your feedback.

Edited by jojo09

Hey :)

As I stated in my log, I experienced sore gums too. I don't think mine bled, but they were very sore. I don't think you need to be worried. If it persists, talk to the dermatologist. A recommendation I have (which is one I need to do as well because though I say I will, I never do) is to write down questions as they pop up. When you go to the dermatologist you'll be able to remember everything no matter how old the question is. That should help.

The dry is skin is no fun, but definitely manageable.

Also, though you're just a few days in, yes, you can already start having effects. Welcome them though, it means the medication is doing SOMETHING :D

Anyway, I'll be checking in. Take care :)

Edited by kimminz

Hey :)

As I stated in my log, I experienced sore gums too. I don't think mine bled, but they were very sore. I don't think you need to be worried. If it persists, talk to the dermatologist. A recommendation I have (which is one I need to do as well because though I say I will, I never do) is to write down questions as they pop up. When you go to the dermatologist you'll be able to remember everything no matter how old the question is. That should help.

The dry is skin is no fun, but definitely manageable.

Also, though you're just a few days in, yes, you can already start having effects. Welcome them though, it means the medication is doing SOMETHING :D

Anyway, I'll be checking in. Take care :)

Thanks for stopping by Kim. It's a good idea to right down my questions. I seem to always forget when I go to doctors visits.

Day 8

My lips are getting drier. I applied Aquaphor a few times today, but they won’t stop peeling. Eww. I noticed my face was shiny this morning after I washed it- weird. Usually it gets dry and flaky. I haven’t had any major breakouts (keeping my fingers crossed). Just a few small whiteheads here and there.

Anywho, I'm preparing for Thanksgiving. I’m having about 38 people over for dinner. I'm so excited that all my family will finally be together for the holiday. Can't wait 'til Thursday :dance:

Edited by jojo09

Day 17

I haven’t updated in a while due to the holiday. My house was packed last week with 38 family and friends for Thanksgiving and 17 of them stayed at my house from Wed. to Sun. :angel:

Anywho, I’m noticing my oil production is decreasing. I don’t have to blot my face as much which is a miracle. My lips are dry. I’m applying Aquaphor constantly. The back of my hands are so dry that the peeling skin left a weird dark/blotchy mark. Every night I apply tons of Vaseline on my hands to get rid of the excessive dry skin (gross).

I made an appointment to get my blood work done on 12/14 and I will pick up my prescription on 12/16. My derm hopes to increase my dosage to 60mg a day.

Question: 12/16 will be the last of my pills for month 1, so if something happens and I can’t see the derm...I'll be out of pills until I see her. Does anyone know if I have to wait exactly one month to see the derm to get a prescription? Can I go a few days earlier?

Day 17

I haven’t updated in a while due to the holiday. My house was packed last week with 38 family and friends for Thanksgiving and 17 of them stayed at my house from Wed. to Sun. :angel:

Anywho, I’m noticing my oil production is decreasing. I don’t have to blot my face as much which is a miracle. My lips are dry. I’m applying Aquaphor constantly. The back of my hands are so dry that the peeling skin left a weird dark/blotchy mark. Every night I apply tons of Vaseline on my hands to get rid of the excessive dry skin (gross).

I made an appointment to get my blood work done on 12/14 and I will pick up my prescription on 12/16. My derm hopes to increase my dosage to 60mg a day.

Question: 12/16 will be the last of my pills for month 1, so if something happens and I can’t see the derm...I'll be out of pills until I see her. Does anyone know if I have to wait exactly one month to see the derm to get a prescription? Can I go a few days earlier?

Day 23

I'm officially very dry. :cry: I apply Aquaphor on my lips every hour. My hands are so dry that the skin cracked and it looks like I scratched myself multiple times. No matter how much lotion//baby oil I apply it seems like my skin sucks it up. Does anyone know of a good moisturizer? I am currently using Vaseline Intensive Care and Johnson's Baby Oil.

I can only imagine how dry/irritated my skin will be later this month when I am bumped up to 60mg's a day. :confused:

On a positive note, I've received so many comments that my skin is clearing up. I've never hear that before so I’m so happy with my skin right now. Oh, and I have only 3 actives now (which are very small). Whoohoo!

Day 29

Well, my lips are DRY and the peeling skin on the back of my hands have turned to dark spots. I’ll ask the derm about that on Wednesday. The end of my first month is near. The derm may increase my prescription to 60mg on Wednesday.

I had my blood work done today. Why must everything that’s supposed to be simple turn into a huge ordeal? I have a six month standing order from my derm so I can get blood work done at Quest. The nurse at Quest said my Dr. did not mark on the form that I must get it done monthly. I thought to myself, isn’t that the definition of a 6 month standing order..I’m supposed to come here once a month for six months... Why couldn’t she call the Dr. to confirm? Instead, when I go to the derm on Wednesday I have to get another form and make sure the monthly exam is checked.

The next problem was while the phlebotomist was taking blood...she basically stabbed my arm. I hate needles and to jab the needle in my arm wasn’t helping the situation. So I yelled ouch and she said calm down. How am I supposed to calm down?!?!?! Then she stated to hum "Jingle Bells." I’m going to another lab next time.

My skin is looking great. I’m getting compliments everyday and I barely have on makeup. On Saturday, I was running late to meet my friend and I left the house without wearing makeup. I realized that when I was about 15 minutes from home. Normally, I would have went back home, I continued to drive. Accutane has boosted my confidence and it’s fading the blackheads (which was my big concern). Yay :dance:

Day 42

I have not been updating as much as I should :naughty: I went to the dermatologist two weeks ago. The Dr. decided to keep me on 40mg again this month because my skin is drying out faster than usual and I have a rash on both my hands. The Dr. prescribed a topical cream for the rash, but I don’t see an improvement so far.

For two days last week my jaw and gums were hurting real bad. I could hardly eat. I don’t know if Accutane was the cause or if it’s something I ate. The good thing is my skin is clearing up and my blood test was fine.

Does anyone know of another good moisturizer that will help relieve my dry skin?

One month down....four more to go!

Day 42

I have not been updating as much as I should :naughty: I went to the dermatologist two weeks ago. The Dr. decided to keep me on 40mg again this month because my skin is drying out faster than usual and I have a rash on both my hands. The Dr. prescribed a topical cream for the rash, but I don’t see an improvement so far.

For two days last week my jaw and gums were hurting real bad. I could hardly eat. I don’t know if Accutane was the cause or if it’s something I ate. The good thing is my skin is clearing up and my blood test was fine.

Does anyone know of another good moisturizer that will help relieve my dry skin?

Hi jojo- glad to hear your course is going well. I'm also on Claravis so I'm right there with you. Are you looking for face moisturizers or body moisturizers?

Right now I'm using Aveeno daily moisturizer or Gold Bond Healing Aloe on my body. Sarna Anti itch lotion comes in handy too. I use aquaphor wherever I need it- knuckles, cuticles etc. On my face I'm using Cetaphil or Avene Clean-AC. I like Neosporin Cream for cuts (thanks mallory!) and Vaseline Petroleum Jelly Cream (Deep Moisture) for my hands. I also use a humidifier in my bedroom at night and drink TONS of water and herbal teas. Stay healthy and hydrated!

Day 42

Hi jojo- glad to hear your course is going well. I'm also on Claravis so I'm right there with you. Are you looking for face moisturizers or body moisturizers?

Right now I'm using Aveeno daily moisturizer or Gold Bond Healing Aloe on my body. Sarna Anti itch lotion comes in handy too. I use aquaphor wherever I need it- knuckles, cuticles etc. On my face I'm using Cetaphil or Avene Clean-AC. I like Neosporin Cream for cuts (thanks mallory!) and Vaseline Petroleum Jelly Cream (Deep Moisture) for my hands. I also use a humidifier in my bedroom at night and drink TONS of water and herbal teas. Stay healthy and hydrated!

Thanks Curlyq. I was looking for body moisturizers. I will definitely try the Gold Bond Aloe. Thanks to the cold weather (and Accutane of course) my skin is so dry and cracked. I have to force myself to drink more water. I appreciate your recommendations.

Day 51

Happy New Year everyone!

Not much has changed. My lips and skin are still dry. I have two cysts-one on my jaw and the other by my mouth. Hopefully, they will go away soon!

For New Years I went out in NYC and I had an awesome time. It felt great to dance and not have to blot my face every 10 minutes because of excess oil. After looking at all my pics from the night, I noticed a big change in the clarity of my skin. For once in my life I don't have the oily T-Zone in my pics. My right cheek still has a few blackheads so am hoping it will disappear over the next few months.

I have a derm appointment next week. I wonder what she will say. Hmmmm...

Edited by jojo09

Day 58

The last two days have been pretty bad. I have three cysts- one my forehead, lip and jaw. My head has been hurting for the past two days. The bad part is its throbbing in only one spot. I don’t understand why I’m still getting headaches now- if it is Accutane related. My parents think it’s because of the Accutane and they want me to stop taking the medication. I have not come this far to quit! Clear skin is near. The rash on my hands has healed.

I'm getting blood work today and I have a derm appointment on Thursday. I think she will prescribe 60 mg this month. Not sure how my body will react. Sigh

Day 61

I went to the dermatologist yesterday and my blood work was fine. My Dr. said my skin looks good, but it will improve even more. Since she feels my hands are completely healed from the rash, she's going to keep me on 40mg for one more month then 60mg for the remainder of the treatment. I heard people usually have their prescription increased after the 2nd month. I’m concerned because this will be my 3rd month on the same dosage. I don’t want this to affect my long term results.

Has anyone been on the same dosage for three months?