Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NYKID

hyperpigmentation and the scars they leave

Posted

Ive read a few times that hyperpigmentation and the marks they leave behind arent necessarly scars and will heal in time but i dont really believe that.

Ive read a lot of posts here and havent heard of these scars getting better over time without some type of treatment.

Is this statement true?

Posted

I think that generally, hyperpigmentation will not get better with time, and requires some form of treatment such as an acid peel to help rectify it.

However, red marks (which are not necessarily the same thing as hyperpigmentation) will go away with time.

If you are referring to actual SCARS, these will probably not get better over time without treatment. Once you have a scar, it is likely to be there for life. However, if the scar is still fairly new, the healing process can be helped by doing things such as vitamin supplementations, liver flushing and use of topicals. This may help reduce the appearance of the final scar.

Don't despair, though - even though scars are permanent, there are lots of ways to improve them and reduce their appearance. Check out the FAQ for more info.

smile.gif

Posted

I have been on here reading posts for the last hour or so and im more confused on what to do.

Whats the difference between a red mark and scar. i usualy get red marks after a pimple and they leave shallow marks when they start to fade away.

Posted

You've hit the nail on the head there, I think - a red mark is usually a precursor to a small scar - the scar tissue is initially redenned and inflamed because of the amount of blood vessels that have been constructed to fight the infection at the site of the wound - the redness will fade eventually as the blood vessels dissipate, but the indent left behind will not fade without treatment.

I think that's right anyway - I'm sure someone will be able to give you a concrete definition of red marks and scars.

Posted

Thats terrible i have to be careful with every pimple i get cause its gonna leave a scar.

i asked earlier if this hyperpigmentation or red marks ever stop happening to people and i havent had any respond with a yes unforuntaly

This is a battle that wont be won, i guess im just going to have to learn how to deal with scars and spots the rest of my life.