Notifications
Clear all

AHA for flaky skin?

MemberMember
(@stratoquacker)

Posted : 11/12/2009 11:14 am

Hi ive been on the regimen for about 7 weeks and Im still getting horrible flaky skin, Ive read somewhere that you can use aha to get rid of it quicker, but other people have said that it gave them even more flaky skin.

Im goin to try it tonight but I want to know how I sh0uld use it:

I cleanse then add BP then moisturize, should I just replace the moisturizer with aha or should I skip the BP and just use the aha after cleansing?

Any advice will be appreciated.

MemberMember
(@cest-la-vigne)

Posted : 11/12/2009 11:21 am

Because of the way AHA works (basically breaking down the "glue" that holds dead skin cells together), it can sometimes make people look a little flakier while the dead skin that was on their face is loosens up and sheds.

Before you start using the AHA, do a spot test--dab a little on your inner arm of at your jaw line and give it about twenty four hours to see how your skin reacts. If it's all good, you can start using it in place of your regular moisturizer two or three times a week (cleanse, BP, then AHA, instead of cleanse, BP, moisturizer).

And make sure that you use sunscreen any time you'll be exposed to sunlight for at lease a week after any AHA use. ; )

MemberMember
(@stratoquacker)

Posted : 11/12/2009 12:25 pm

Ok cool, Ive been using AHA as a spot treatment and it works really well, my skin reacts to it pretty well but it does make it look a bit pasty if i add alittle too much. Also what would be the right amount to use?

MemberMember
(@cest-la-vigne)

Posted : 11/12/2009 4:04 pm

When I was using the AHA, a glob about the size of a large pea (about a fingertip's worth) was enough to do my whole face.

MemberMember
(@maximus-decimus-merideous)

Posted : 11/13/2009 5:49 pm

Hey c'est, is it okay to use AHA every night in place of moisturizer. Ive been doing that for the past 3 days (im one month on the regimen) and my face looks better than it has. However, it has definitely been more flaky, which is very annoying. Im worried using aha every other night will give me worse results.

MemberMember
(@cest-la-vigne)

Posted : 11/14/2009 7:32 am

Hey c'est, is it okay to use AHA every night in place of moisturizer. Ive been doing that for the past 3 days (im one month on the regimen) and my face looks better than it has. However, it has definitely been more flaky, which is very annoying. Im worried using aha every other night will give me worse results.

In my own, personal, experience, my skin actually looked better when I was only using the AHA a few times a week than when I was using it every night. (I generally don't recommend using the AHA every night, because it's pretty strong stuff, and, truthfully, you don't need to exfoliate every day--too much exfoliation can be irritating.)

Like I said in my earlier post, keep in mind that AHA works by breaking down the "glue" that holds dead skin cells together, so the flakiness you're experiencing now may just be because a bunch of the dead skin cells that had been "glued" together before you started using the AHA are loosened up now, and ready to slough off. Continued use (even if you choose to cut back to every other day) should help prevent that much dead skin from accumulating, so when it's exfoliated away, it won't be as noticeable.

hmmmm tj liked
MemberMember
(@maximus-decimus-merideous)

Posted : 11/15/2009 4:17 pm

sounds good to me. Thank you!

MemberMember
(@teemorties)

Posted : 08/14/2015 8:08 am

A few drops of jojoba oil in even the lightest moisturiser killed flakiness if the ana doesn't do.

MemberMember
(@teemorties)

Posted : 08/14/2015 9:48 am

A few drops of jojoba oil in even the lightest moisturiser killed flakiness if the ana doesn't do.

Doesn't work for me.

Might for them though. It did for me but it can be a bit greasy although if using at night its not a problem.