Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Allison12

Accutane Log, Round 2

Hey everyone, I'm going to be doing a second course of Accutane. I did a log of my first course and it was really helpful, so I figured I'd do it again.

To start I'm alternating 40 and 80 mg/day for 3 months. I finished my first course mid-May 2009, and my skin stayed clear for a while but it's breaking out now. My doctor wanted to put and end to the breakouts before they get worse so she put me back on. Acctuane didn't work too well for me during my first course, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the second time will be smoother!

I got my prescription today and should be starting on Friday or Saturday. Wish me luck!

Edited by Allison12

Hey everyone, I'm going to be doing a second course of Accutane. I did a log of my first course (http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Allison-s...&hl=allison) and it was really helpful, so I figured I'd do it again.

To start I'm alternating 40 and 80 mg/day for 3 months. I finished my first course mid-May 2009, and my skin stayed clear for a while but it's breaking out now. My doctor wanted to put and end to the breakouts before they get worse so she put me back on. Acctuane didn't work too well for me during my first course, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the second time will be smoother!

I got my prescription today and should be starting on Friday or Saturday. Wish me luck!

How long did the results from your first course last?

Not very long. I described it in detail towards the end of my first log, but I actually cleared up after I finished my last month. I stayed perfectly clear from June to mid August, then I noticed my oil starting to come back. I got breakouts but they always healed. Around mid September my back and chest started to feel really rough again, my skin was back to being very oily, and I constantly have some acne on my face now.

I'm pretty sure those aren't typical results though. Also, my cumulative dose wasn't quite 120 mg/kg.

Edited by Allison12

Day 1 of month 1

I just took my first pill! During my first course, I had this idea that Accutane was going to be a miracle pill and I was kind of disappointed when it wasn't. This time I'm not so excited because my expectations aren't as high... I am really looking forward to having dry skin again though! Having to use blotting papers on my skin all the time sucks.

Last time it took a while for my skin's oil to go away - I think it was towards the end of my first month. This time I'm on a higher dose though, so maybe it'll happen faster.

Day 2 of month 1

I felt a bit sick a while after taking two 40 mg pills at the same time. I've never done that before, I always used to take one in the morning and one at night. Half the time I'd forget the morning one though, so I think taking them at the same time works better. Hopefully the sickness was unrelated...

Edited by Allison12

Day 3 of month 1

I guess I don't need to update this every day, haha. But I'm here so I may as well write something quick =)

There was a bit less oil on my face today. Usually at noon I have to use 2 blotting sheets to get it all off and I barely needed one! My skin is still oily for sure, just not AS oily.

hey mt, good luck with your course! are you keeping a log?

Day 5 of month 1

I'm worried because I feel a bit depressed. I'm sure it has nothing to do with being on Accutane, but I know you're not supposed to be on Acctuane & depressed so I hope it goes away soon. I don't want to be pulled off Accutane yet =\

Edited by Allison12

Remember to try and focus on the positive- you are doing something to make your skin healthier! keep your head up! I started my 2nd course today- my 1st was 4 years ago. My derm seems to think a 2nd course will put the nail in the coffin. Good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement, and you're right. I am trying to think positive, about more than just my skin. Yesterday I let myself get into a spiral of negative thinking, today still a bit, but less so =)

My forehead started to break out right after I started the Accutane again. The marks are still bright red but they're flattened, so that's improvement!

I can't remember what day I'm on! Haha. I think this is around day 16 or something.

So things are going pretty well, I think. My lips really dry, much worse than in my first course. I'm constantly using lip chap but it doesn't help too much.

My skin isn't dry yet, though. It actually seems a bit oilier than it did the last time I updated. *shrug*

I'm starting to get a few breakouts around my nose now, and my hairline as well. I wouldn't say my breakouts are worse or better than before Accutane yet though, but I wouldn't expect to see improvement yet.

I just hope my results from this course will last longer than last time... hopefully I can convince my doctor to let me take a higher cumulative dose. Right now I'm seeing a doctor but in January I have an appointment with a dermatologist, so we'll see what he says.

Month 1, Day 17

This morning I woke up feeling kind of dizzy. It got worse as the day went on. I feel a bit nauseous and too hot =( I have a headache too.

This probably has nothing to do with Accutane, although I'm sure it's dehydrating me and I haven't been drinking a lot. I hope I'm not getting sick!

Month 1, Day 18

I feel much better today :D I think I was just overtired yesterday. My back feels weird though! When I lie down and I have to relax my back it's pretty uncomfortable. I'm pretty sure this happened last time too, though.

One thing about being on Accutane is that I analyze ALL of my "symptoms", haha. I'll notice that my thumb hurts and wonder if it's because of Accutane =P

Edited by Allison12

Month 1, Day 23

It's weird, it seems like the accutane started to work overnight! For a while my skin was getting less greasy, but there was still oil. Then bam! all of a sudden there's no oil at all. My lips kind of hurt...

Also, I noticed there are a bunch of blackheads on and around my nose, and on my chin. They must all be getting pushed out of my skin or something, because usually they're not so noticeable (or so many of them)!

Month 1, Day 26

My internet's been acting weird, so half the time I can't connect to it! Grr, annoying. The internet people should be coming to replace my modem within 3-5 business days though.

Anyway, the blackheads are slowly going away, but otherwise I have no changes. I haven't noticed that back pain I had for a while! I'm pretty sure it's gone for good, since the pain happened on my first course too.

Month 1, Day 30

My nose was kind of bleeding yesterday. That's the first time it's happened since I've been on Accutane. It could be from the really cold weather here though too.

Month 2, Day 5

I'm breaking out like crazy, aah! Before Accutane and all during my first month I'd get breakouts on my forehead mostly. If I got breakouts anywhere else they were just little whiteheads that went away quickly.

But there's one on my cheek that's been there for a week and a half, it's painful and inflamed =( I don't mind so much when they only last 2 days and start to heal but this is taking foreverrr...

And my chin is breaking out too, which is unusual. I screwed up taking my birth control and took 3 pills in a 24 hour period by accident (oops...) and skipped my Accutane one day too, maybe that has something to do with this.

Month 2, Day 18

I had a bit of champagne last night... I know you're not supposed to drink on Accutane and I didn't at all during my first course, but I figured a bit couldn't hurt. I don't think I'll do it again though (not that anything bad happened, but I'd rather not be pulled off Accutane.)

Anyway, my skin's probably worse now than it was when I started Accutane. Not by much, though, so I'm not worried about it.