Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spectacled_owl

Tea Tree Oil, Shea Butter - the NEW reg.

Hello my spotted comrades...

Time to kick some p.acnes assss!

Hm. Yeah, that felt good. Now I want to share my new regimen with you all :D

First, a brief history:

I've got fair, very oily skin. Big pores and different kinds of acne. I tend to get white heads mostly and a lot of red sore marks especially after the spot is gone. My forehead just seems to have small bumps that don't do anything... they're just kind of there if that makes sense lol. My cheeks and nose have the biggest pores, they are just so big and yucky, blech. I do tend to pick at the white heads but I'm trying really hard not to, and have been doing good the last couple of days. I always have some "active acne" going on, even when I was on the last reg which I'm about to explain. I've never gotten to the point where I can just treat all the redness. I want to so bad!!!

Last 2 months, I was on Yaz, clindamycin, BP 4% wash and tretinoin - all prescribed by derm except for the Yaz which was prescribed by my gyn. I was only on this reg for about 2 months until 2 days ago when I quit. I mean, I hate birth control, I really do. It gives me horrible mood swings, super painful, throbbing headaches and it just totally zaps all my energy... including my libido :cry: The yaz is mostly to blame - I've tried a couple other BCP, they're not as severe - I think it's because of the drosperinone in Yaz causing lethargy or something. I just know I don't like it! I'm really freaked out though with all the Yaz lawsuits coming out -anyone else seen those commercials or heard the horrible stories? Which sucks because despite all that... those androgen blockers make my skin look good. My skin will be less oily but I just feel so crummy that I can't enjoy it. So yeah, I think I have hormonal acne but, I don't want to mess with my hormones. I'd rather just learn to treat my acne in a healthy, natural way and hope I grow out of this.

Basically, I just decided that I'm tired of putting different chemicals all over my face and trying to change my body with them. I just want to do this as simple as possible.

So after reading a couple blogs here, I think I want to try me some african black soap, tea tree oil, jojoba oil and shea butter.

I already have jojoba oil, I just got some tea tree oil today and I ordered some unrefined shea butter and african black soap from a pretty sweet looking fair trade company. I actually feel better already just knowing the products I ordered came from a good place.

I took my makeup off with jojoba oil and then washed with cetaphil. I then put some tea tree oil on a cotton ball and dabbed that on the inflamed areas (pretty much everywhere lol) After about 5 mins I massaged in some jojoba oil to moisturize.

I can say already that my face feels really clean and refreshed! I feel like my skin looks like normal skin, just with some bumps and redness. Whereas before I felt like all my skin was just weird looking.. I really can't explain it but I hope some of you at least know what I mean.. :think: Heh.

So I'll be hopefully posting some more here almost every night or when there is some notable change. Definitely when my shea butter and soap arrive! Then my real regimen will begin...

skylyre

Hey hey I'm back!

So my shea butter and soap have not arrived yet, but that's OK. I'm still using the tea tree oil and jojoba oil until it they get here. So I'm still going to note my progress, and yes there is some to note!

Well this is my 3rd day off of Yaz, and so far so good. No mood swings and no crazy breakouts (yet...I'm hoping it stays that way) and no headaches, awesome. I don't think my face is very oily, however I don't know if that's because I've only recently gone off the Yaz and my body hasn't regulated yet (to being it's normal oily self lol) or because of the tea tree oil/jojoba oil. I have a feeling it's the tea tree oil b/c it actually seems less oily than when I was on Yaz. Time will tell I guess :whistle:

My reg has been so far, until the other two products come:

Morning: Rinse face with water and pat dry. Dab on some TTO with a cotton pad onto the blemishes, and very lightly on my whole face. I also dab some TTO on my back since I get breakouts there too, forgot to mention that.

I wait about 5 mins and then I massage JO on my face. Good to go! I then put on some cover girl mineral makeup, which I'm not crazy about and it doesn't really give me any coverage. It just evens things out a bit so I look kinda normal for work.

At night: Massage some JO on face to remove makeup then wipe it off with a damp, soft cloth. For now until I get my soap, I wash with my cetaphil cleanser that I was using before. I do this in the shower usually btw, since I usually shower at night. When I'm out of the shower I do my TTO dab routine and JO. That's it!

What have I noticed so far you ask? Well.... First, the best thing I have noticed:

I mentioned this in my other post too and it seems to be lasting. My skin looks normal. I don't know about anyone else, but whenever I would use harsh chemical stuff, my skin that wasn't broken out would look lousy. It's hard to explain... it just seemed dull, even if it was oily, and idk, not smooth or something. So not only did I hate my breakouts, but I would hate my clear skin too, which wouldn't even look good under makeup! All I can say is that since stopping the daily chemical treatment and using just the TTO and JO, I have very nice, soft, normal skin. Unfortunately it still has big ugly red bumps all over it! lol

Now the next thing. Most of my active blemishes have gotten very dry and flaky. They're not healed yet but they look like they are in the process. The rest of my skin is OK though so that's pretty awesome. I'm being good too, I'm NOT picking the skin or pimples :dance: Yay me! I need a pat on the back, srsly. I think the JO helps with the dryness a lot.

My journey so far is good and I hope it only gets better. TTFN and TGIFFF everyone.

skylyre

Sorry to go away for a few days, but here I am, and with good news.

My shea butter and soap came finally!! :dance: woot! :dance:

They came on Monday so I've been using them since then. So far, I LOOOOVE it!

My new reg is like this:

Morning:

Rinse face with water, pat dry, apply TTO, moisturize with shea butter.

Night:

Remove makeup/massage with jojoba oil, wash with African black soap, apply TTO and moisturize with shea butter.

Pretty simple eh? I like it a lot so far. For the simplicity and for the results I have been getting. I had about 6 pustules that have since healed or are healing, so they are either flat red spots now or raised red spots. But they're not icky and painful anymore. At first when I started the TTO I got a few whiteheads that popped up but they have come and gone, leaving just the usual red mark.

So I really don't have any active breakouts at the moment... sweet! It's been a while since that has happened. Now I'm sure I'll still get a few popping up here and there but that's OK. I know that I can heal em quick now.

I love how the TTO dries up the spot and then the zit is just gone. The shea butter seems to be helping a lot with the redness and inflammation though, and my face is barely oily, which is friggin amazing!

Loving the regimen so far guys... it's still early though so I won't go recommending it to everyone just yet... worth a try though if you're wondering what the heck to do with your skin :)

I'll post some more soon - sorry if this post is random, I have a cold and medicine head right now while I'm working.. blah.

skylyre

Hey there. Thanks for the hair compliment. Unfortunately, it only looked like that for a few hours as I'd come from the hair salon and have failed to replicate the look since (how do they do it?!?!).

Good luck with your new regimen. If all else fails, try yeast. Apparently. That's the latest advice I got, anyway...

Thanks for reading and for the support guys! :)

So my cold is finally gone. It had me a bed ridden, snot factory for the last few days. Not fun! Well, except for the part where I get to stay home from work and watch episodes of The Big Bang Theory while heavily under the influence of cold medicine. Ahh yes. But hey, I can almost breathe and smell normally again, woot!

Alright so I was kinda bad while I was sick. I didn't do my night reg like two nights. But it hasn't seem to have affected me horribly. No new breakouts except for one whitehead in my chin/jaw area.

I'm really feeling guilty for not taking pics. I have to be the only person without a digi camera.. but that's no excuse as my blackberry has a pretty decent camera :doh:

So I think after this I'm gonna go take some ::gulp::

But pics are a great way to show progress, if any. So I'll do it! For myself, and for you all! I'll post those either later today or tomorrow.

A couple of new things too:

I am going to start mixing the shea butter with some jojoba oil as my moisturizer, instead of just the shea butter. I haven't been moisturizing with the JO and well, I miss it. I love that stuff. I think I will start taking some vitamin D as a supplement too. I was reading another thread about this, and think it might be a nice addition. My skin is usually better in the summer too.

Alright... time to go. My daughter needs my attention and she will not cease to call out "Mommy!" until I give in :)

pics soon!

skylyre

Yiggity yooooo...

Just put up my pix. Boy am I ecstatic. :rolleyes:

Haha j/k. I'm glad. I actually like seeing my skin this way... it's different than just looking in the mirror. I'm not sure if I think it looks better or worse though lol. Eh, just overanalyzing I'm sure.. so typical of me.

I'll try to put up pics maybe every week? That would be a good comparison I think. At least at first. Well, here's the link.

Comment away if you like :)

skylyre

p.s. Not sure if you can see them yet, as they were awaiting approval.

Hey guys,

Here's those pics. I'll post them here since that's easier.

Quick update:

I just made a whipped shea butter concoction, which is basically just jojoba oil mixed with my shea butter. It makes the shea butter more "lotiony" and I like that a lot :dance: I want to buy some bulk shea butter and make the same mix, but add some scented oil to use as a body lotion. Yummy.

Not much else to update... skin is improving, I even got some compliments from my Mom today! Aw. It was funny though, because she thought it was from the regimen my derm put me on. That visit will be interesting too hehe. My derm follow up appt is in December and I can just see it now:

Derm: Wow Laura, your skin looks fantastic! The topicals are really working out for you.

Me: Well thanks! But um, here's the thing... ::mumble shea butter cough cough tea tree oil:: And yeah my skin feels great!

I'm not sure why I feel so eh, guilty. Maybe because she's a doctor who got a degree in taking care of skin? And now I just stomp all over her regimen and say ptooie! It makes me feel kinda bad. Also like she won't wanna treat me anymore or something. I'm sure I'm just over thinking it, as usual. She was super nice and I hope she understands, and wants to stick with me in helping to heal my scarring.

We shall see.

That's it for now. New pics next week.

skylyre

Derm: Wow Laura, your skin looks fantastic! The topicals are really working out for you.

Me: Well thanks! But um, here's the thing... ::mumble shea butter cough cough tea tree oil:: And yeah my skin feels great!

I'm not sure why I feel so eh, guilty. Maybe because she's a doctor who got a degree in taking care of skin? And now I just stomp all over her regimen and say ptooie! It makes me feel kinda bad. Also like she won't wanna treat me anymore or something. I'm sure I'm just over thinking it, as usual. She was super nice and I hope she understands, and wants to stick with me in helping to heal my scarring.

We shall see.

skylyre

No need to feel guilty, its your body and you need to do what feels right for you. I found natural stuff to be much better for my skin, it feels healthier definately (I am doing my own jojoba and caster oil clensing thing at the mo and it feels so much better than when I was using harsher stuff.

good luck :)

hey kool blog :D

well id be cautious of shea butter i swear that broke me out. i will follow your progress. i like pictures.

you have shexy lips :gimme:

and your skin colour is nice

hey kool blog :D

well id be cautious of shea butter i swear that broke me out. i will follow your progress. i like pictures.

you have shexy lips :gimme:

and your skin colour is nice

Aw thanks :wub: they are the only thing without breakouts lol

I haven't updated this log in a while because I'm not doing it anymore. I do like shea butter but only in the winter when it's cold. I'm kind of lousy at blogging consistently so I haven't started a new one yet. Right now I'm trying to follow a paleo diet and only putting stuff on my face that I would put inside as well.

Hopefully if this clears me I will blog about it! Thanks for reading though =]

We shall see.

skylyre

No need to feel guilty, its your body and you need to do what feels right for you. I found natural stuff to be much better for my skin, it feels healthier definately (I am doing my own jojoba and caster oil clensing thing at the mo and it feels so much better than when I was using harsher stuff.

good luck :)

Thank you! =]

While I'm not doing this regimen anymoreI am NOT using any scrips and I haven;t seen my derm for a couple months. My skin needs a break, and I don't feel bad about it!