Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JayQ

Food Allergies

I am considering getting tested for certain food allergies. My whole life i have never been allergic to any food but i guess over time you can hence getting abrupt acne later in life.

My questions are:

Can a food allergy really cause acne and how soon?

How does this appointment work, as in what does the doctor do and how long does it take?

How accurate are they?

I am just tired of wondering all the time if certain foods i eat are triggering my re occuring acne or not, ive avoided them and still got acne but it is so spontaneous sometimes it is hard to judge if it affects it or not. Just doesnt make sense to me that it could trigger it a few days later.

I have food "intolerances", and yes they do cause reactions to my skin, sometimes acne in as little as two or three hours, other times rashes etc. One of my moderate intolerances happened to be chicken, which was giving me spots of eczema. I never would have made the connection had I not had the test done. I got mine done by alcat, took about two weeks. I contacted them, they set me up with a blood test kit and sent me out for the appointment, they emailed me the results a few days later. I happened to have a lot of intolerances, nearly 25 reactive foods,some moderate which need to be restricted for 3-6 months, some mild which need to be avoided when possible, however they do not all cause breakouts, i guess it depends on how often i eat them. What feels great is knowing what your reactive to, it takes some of the "fear" out of eating. There is a difference between allergies and intolerances so start googling. Good Luck

Unfortunately, some say that the ALCAT test is an unreliable indicator and may lead to incorrect diagnoses. A lot of these tests are really expensive, so I'm doing as much research as I can before diving in. "Take home" tests through private companies make me nervous, but it seems like people have had some luck with them...

I've read that one of the most reliable tests for food allergies is a scratch or skin test...I don't think that this tests food intolerance though. I definitely am intolerant to some foods that would never show up in a scratch test.

That's what I know, but I'm interested in what others have to offer, especially those who have had positive experiences with some of these tests.

I am convinced that my acne has been caused by gluten intolerance. As soon as I started eating gluten again, my face, back and chest broker out like crazy again. However, the relationship to what I eat isn't always obvious- it takes days for the acne to appear. I never really had enough fortitude to

go gluten-free for two long, but now that I am convinced I will definitely never eat gluten again. I had the ALCAT test done. They mailed me the blood withdrawal kit, I went to the hospital and asked them to draw my blood and I then put it in the included overnight package and mailed. I received my results pretty quickly.

Here are my results:

http://s761.photobucket.com/albums/xx251/b...rrent=alcat.jpg

The cheapest test is around $400, is it not? That money would pay my rent. I know that the cost of living with underlying or undiagnosed food allergies/intolerances could be much, much more than that long term...I'm just not convinced that the alcat isn't full of false positives (or negatives):

I honestly don't know if they cause allergies, but I haven't had soda in about 4 weeks and no coffe in about 2 and I'm clearing up

but of course, I start clearing up and then I break out again :doh: