Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ucfguy3

Suggestions for Recurrent Misery? Please...!

So sorry to hear your update. Was hoping you would have some good news.

I'm just going to throw this out. Probably completely useless, but ...

I had a horrible cystic acne breakout this summer. I went on doxycycline to try to just manage it until I could get in to see the derm. It helped reduce it to the point where it wasn't painful to sleep, brush my teeth, smile, etc (I was using ibuprofen all day long just to be able to cope with normal facial movements -- never mind washing my face, ugh), but it didn't clear it up. Never has in the past and it tears up my stomach anyway. Before I finally got in to get my prescription for Accutane, I got a bad upper respiratory infection. My doctor prescribed azithromycin. It was a 5 day pack (but it works for 5 more days after you stop taking it).

For whatever reason, this antibiotic cleared up my cystic acne up. Completely. None of the antibiotics normally prescribed for acne ever had. They helped a little, but were never a solution for me. I started Accutane a month later, so I'm not sure how long it would last or anything -- but it has been over a month and I haven't yet had a cyst. I briefly considered not taking the Accutane to see if that worked for me -- but, with all the pregnancy tests I had already taken I honestly didn't want to go through that hassle again since I figured it probably wouldn't last anyway.

As I said, probably useless info -- but if you are out of options and you can get your doctor to try it -- maybe it will help. Obviously, I don't know how often you could take an antibiotic like that -- but for me -- any time I can have without breakouts or at least without cysts ... I'll take it.

Good luck! I'm really hoping you'll find an answer to your acne :)

Thanks for your feedback!!

My friend in medical school suggest I visit a "dermopathologist," which is something I'd never heard of. Basically, it seems like a dermatologist who actually works at the cellular level, taking biopsies and cultures. Sounds good to me.

Maybe I'll see if I can get a 5-day z-pac in the meanwhile :)