Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RobDude

Can someone explain Antibiotics to me?

Antibiotics work against acne because they help your body fight off/kill the p. acne bacteria, right?

So, where do you *originally* get that bacteria from?

According to the internet, acne is *not* contagious. So, how does that work?

If you get strep throat - another bacterial infection...you have it until your body fights it off. Then it's *gone*. Until you get re-infected. If the p. acne bacteria is 'naturally occurring' how can an antibiotic provide lasting treatment?

Likewise, I've read that 'Tetracycline-resistant P. acnes is now quite common'. How is that possible? If you haven't taken tetracycline and failed to finish the full dose...how could you have tetracycline resistant acne, unless it is contagious?

The way in which bacteria acts is pretty complicated.

Here is a site if you are really interested in learning:

http://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/...Eubacteria.html

How antibiotic resistance works is that when you take a certain medication for a period of time (that period of time varies), the cells you have adjust to the 'invaders' so to speak, and modify themselves.

Nothing is contagious, that is simply not the way bacterial cells act.

If you want specific information on a type of antibiotic, please let me know, and I encourage you to look around the boards as well. I'm going to move this to the antibiotics subforum. =)

Antibiotics work against acne because they help your body fight off/kill the p. acne bacteria, right?

So, where do you *originally* get that bacteria from?

According to the internet, acne is *not* contagious. So, how does that work?

If you get strep throat - another bacterial infection...you have it until your body fights it off. Then it's *gone*. Until you get re-infected. If the p. acne bacteria is 'naturally occurring' how can an antibiotic provide lasting treatment?

Likewise, I've read that 'Tetracycline-resistant P. acnes is now quite common'. How is that possible? If you haven't taken tetracycline and failed to finish the full dose...how could you have tetracycline resistant acne, unless it is contagious?

P. acne isn't considered contagious. This link will help explain why: http://aboutacnecare.blogspot.com/2009/01/...contagious.html

Bacteria could go into a stronger strain.. So our usual dose the last time we had a disease might not be enough to combat what you're having at present. That's why there are 1st generation antibiotics to 3rd generation and etc.. That's also why, when you are prescribed a full dosage on an antibiotic therapy, you have to finish the full course (extremely important in antibiotic therapy to ensure that they DO wipe out the bacteria involved, otherwise if you've omitted the rest of the dosage, you just tickled the bacteria, so next time you tickle them again, they'll be poker-face and will need more stimuli). There are cases that some bacteria survive and they're the ones that develop resistance to that particular antibiotic drug, and when they multiply and reproduce, they pass that resistance. And as with other bacteria, they are all unique in nature and the link added by karaisa has a more detailed explanation on bacterial behavior and pathogenecity.

From my personal experience, the treatment of acne is mostly SYMPTOMATIC (they only treat the symptoms that show--like the zits in our faces--) and not the underlying cause (though accutane address it--am not promoting accutane). There are forums/fora here that discuss more holistic approaches towards acne.

Edited by xandrine100