Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
plt

does anyone notice the scars, but us?

in a topic i saw earlier today or yesterday, somebody mentioned something a teacher said to them: "nobody will notice your flaws because they're too worried about their own"

i wish i bookmarked it. i found it to be very inspiring.

i'm too worried about my own appearance to notice everyone else's flaws..

how about everyone else? do you still notice other people's imperfections more or less than your bout with acne?

In fact.. since I got some scarring on my face I notice everyone's imperfections because i'm now looking for it.

I had dinner with my sister last week who i hadn't seen in a year and I saw some indents on her face which I never saw before.

i'm the total opposite. since i now have my own facial imperfections, i could care less about other peoples.

in my head, everyone else is looking at MY imperfections.

however, if they have a huge honking pimple i'm going to notice it, and feel more relaxed than uncomfortable (as i would have previously)

I notice it more now (skin stuff) because I have it, so I am always looking. I can't help it. I think other people with skin problems notice it more on me, too.

People DO notice your scars unless they're very few and/or shallow. To think otherwise is delusion.

That quote is very true, as I have learnt over time.

However, as far as scars and spots are concerned, people do notice. They don't notice them nearly as quickly as we do (unless they're very severe) but a catch of the light, taking a closer observation (checking out the opposite sex, anyone?) and so forth will make people notice.

It's whether people really care that determines whether they're worth someone's time of day or not. Some people are just so shallow about it you probably wouldn't want to be around them even if you had flawless skin.

I consider it a very effective filter for rooting out shallow air-heads who can't see that a person's worth is more than skin-deep. Que sara sara.

sorry but that quote couldnt be more wrong...when you get imperfections of your own like acne scars you start looking for them on other people...as stated before, since i got acne scars i started noticing scars on my family members faces i NEVER noticed for the first 18 years of my life because i wasnt even considering the possibility of indents on their face til i had some of my own

Yeah people do notice. The funny thing for me was that I didnt notice that I had scarring until my boyfriend mentioned it. Thanks honey! I never really had bad acne nor did I stare at my skin in strange lights and I don't have deep scars so I never noticed. But now I check out every ones skin and mine in strange lights on a daily basis. Sucks

question for those of you who study other peoples' faces now that you have scars: what are you looking for?

i used to do that when i only had the occasional zit because that alone made me self-conscious and i'd try to find flaws in others to make myself feel better. now that i've got bigger problems to deal with (scarring) i could care less about other peoples' faces, because i'm always trying to make sure my scars don't hit "that" type of light that shows them!

we're looking for scars. I'm not doing to make myself feel better, that's terrible, I am doing it because it's only natural to notice something you have and don't like, ie, a bald person would notice a guy with a ton of hair and another bald guy. It's only natural instinct.

We're evolutionary conditioned to think that very common or usual features are attractive. It's called koinophilia. So if everyone has smooth skin, then our scars stand out as unattractive. I think we look at other people's skin, and their scars, to judge just how normal or not normal we ourselves really are. We're constantly judging our own attractiveness based on the averageness of those around us.

Ive been with my boyfriend for almost 3 yrs and everytime im crying or whineing about my pimples or scars he always reassures me that he doesnt see them when he looks at me. I am the only one that sees them, bcuz they are on me.

Ive been with my boyfriend for almost 3 yrs and everytime im crying or whineing about my pimples or scars he always reassures me that he doesnt see them when he looks at me. I am the only one that sees them, bcuz they are on me.

this is what i'm trying to say in my first post.

the only people who notice them are people with their OWN skin problems. which i personally do not have a problem with. i would however, have a problem with somebody that has perfect skin studying my skin. i have never once seen anyone doing such. have any of you?

some of my acquaintances have some skin issues too and i've never noticed until i got scarring of my own.

i think MOST people that don't have skin issues don't take the time to notice anyone else's skin

Guest Chrisâ„¢

Yeah, people definitely notice, no question about it. It's nice to think that they don't because they are too wrapped up in their selves, but honestly they really do notice. If someone comes up to you and they have a surgical scar on their face from an injury when they were a child, you would notice it, same as acne scars. Then again, it really depends on the severity of the scars. If you are even asking yourself the question; "does anyone besides myself even notice my scars?", then your scarring isn't bad to begin with. Those of us with bad scars know for a fact that people notice them, personally I've had many people tell me so in not such a nice way. Oh, and also all of those lovely creeped out looks that random strangers give you. People definitely notice.

I've had many people tell me so in not such a nice way. Oh, and also all of those lovely creeped out looks that random strangers give you. People definitely notice.

This could also be due to societal graciousness I think. Generally polite people do not stare, or comment about strangers, regardless of how good or bad their scars are.

Guest Chrisâ„¢

True, but when several people (throughout your life) come up to you and say; "dude what the fuck is up with your face", it's kind of obvious that they noticed your scars lol. Sure, the polite people (god bless them), don't say anything to you, but that doesn't change the fact that they absolutely noticed your scars when they saw you.

Man i really feel pretty bad for you and yet admire your strength at the same time. From your description I can infer that your scarring is rather severe. Yet I feel you are getting on with life much better than myself. Im too consumed by my own scars even though they may not be the most severe around.

Yea I believe people always notice our scars, if the scars are moderate or severe. How can they not? Its like saying people wont notice if you have a third eye or something. Its just whether they are polite enough to not say it out, or do not think its a big deal enough to comment on it.