Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vanilla Face

What should I expect?

I have mild to maybe slightly moderate acne, but very persistent acne, especially on my forehead.

I have made it even worse by picking at it. For the most part, I've done less picking lately and my forehead isn't filled with marks as much as before. How bad was my picking? Well, the right side of my face is jumbled with hyperpigmentation, and I haven't had a pimple there in over a year! That's right, the healing process has been going on for over a year, and I'm suffering from these dark spots. It has made my skin look far worse, than it really is.

About 2.5 months ago, my regular doctor prescribed tazorac, and honestly, I have seen some minimal improvement, but I just want all the acne to finally end. She also gave me a referral to a dermatologist in case I needed it. So, I'm thinking that if I don't see more improvements with tazorac, around Decemeber, I'm going to make an appointment.

My point is, what kinda medicine can I expect to be prescribed? I know no one here is a dermatologist, and my the best answer would be from the doc himself/herself. But, a lot of you have visited the derm, so I'm sure you can make a logical guess. Remember, I have mild-moderate persistent acne.

I have mild to maybe slightly moderate acne, but very persistent acne, especially on my forehead.

I have made it even worse by picking at it. For the most part, I've done less picking lately and my forehead isn't filled with marks as much as before. How bad was my picking? Well, the right side of my face is jumbled with hyperpigmentation, and I haven't had a pimple there in over a year! That's right, the healing process has been going on for over a year, and I'm suffering from these dark spots. It has made my skin look far worse, than it really is.

About 2.5 months ago, my regular doctor prescribed tazorac, and honestly, I have seen some minimal improvement, but I just want all the acne to finally end. She also gave me a referral to a dermatologist in case I needed it. So, I'm thinking that if I don't see more improvements with tazorac, around Decemeber, I'm going to make an appointment.

My point is, what kinda medicine can I expect to be prescribed? I know no one here is a dermatologist, and my the best answer would be from the doc himself/herself. But, a lot of you have visited the derm, so I'm sure you can make a logical guess. Remember, I have mild-moderate persistent acne.

Hey!

To be honest I am not sure what your derm will perscribe to you - but the best bet is to make the apt. and talk to him about it, he will evaluate your skin. The first time I went, he gave me a cream which worked pretty well, it was called metronidazole. He also perscribed me Ziana, which I havent used yet because it's side effects kind of freak me out O_O;

It also depends on if it is a hormonal problem, in which case you might be perscribed something to take orally or a bc. Ask him about the side effects!

I hate hyperpigmentations -_-; I am a sufferer as well! Glycolic Acid has helped me A LOT with this. You can get it over the counter, or things that have Glycolic Acid in it.

Glycolic Acid

Glycolic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid found in many skin care products. It effectively exfoliates the skin, helping to lighten post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Available in cleansers, creams, and gels, glycolic acid not only helps improve postinflammatory hyperpigmentation, but also leaves your skin smooth and soft.

Cleansers, gels, pads, and lotions containing glycolic acid are available over-the-counter. Higher concentrations are available with a prescription only. As with all products, improvement may not be seen for several months. Monitor your skin for irritation, and inform your doctor if it occurs.

Taken from here! *click me*

I would talk to your derm. about your hyperpigmentation as well! Good luck!

Hey!

To be honest I am not sure what your derm will perscribe to you - but the best bet is to make the apt. and talk to him about it, he will evaluate your skin. The first time I went, he gave me a cream which worked pretty well, it was called metronidazole. He also perscribed me Ziana, which I havent used yet because it's side effects kind of freak me out O_O;

It also depends on if it is a hormonal problem, in which case you might be perscribed something to take orally or a bc. Ask him about the side effects!

I hate hyperpigmentations -_-; I am a sufferer as well! Glycolic Acid has helped me A LOT with this. You can get it over the counter, or things that have Glycolic Acid in it.

Glycolic Acid

Glycolic acid is an alpha hydroxy acid found in many skin care products. It effectively exfoliates the skin, helping to lighten post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. Available in cleansers, creams, and gels, glycolic acid not only helps improve postinflammatory hyperpigmentation, but also leaves your skin smooth and soft.

Cleansers, gels, pads, and lotions containing glycolic acid are available over-the-counter. Higher concentrations are available with a prescription only. As with all products, improvement may not be seen for several months. Monitor your skin for irritation, and inform your doctor if it occurs.

Taken from here! *click me*

I would talk to your derm. about your hyperpigmentation as well! Good luck!

That site didn't even mention mandelic acid which from i get from reading posts from here is the better of them all.