Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rrw

Accutane Log starting Nov 5

Hi all! Today is my first day on Accutane! I actually got the pills a couple of days ago but I had to wait for 48 hours for the tetracycline that I was taking before to get out of my system before taking Accutane. I'm gonna pop the pill with lunch, and now I'm excited but also quite nervous. I saw others' logs and they were really encouraging. Hopefully I'll get to see some good results too. :angel:

I've never been this self-conscious before, now I find myself thinking about how my face looks like ALL the time, and I don't even like meeting new people anymore because I'm so worried that the first thing they see is my horrible skin, I just wanna cry out that IT DIDN'T USED TO LOOK LIKE THIS!

So my acne has been mild for about 5 years now, it was only on my forehead. I got prescribed Stievamycin gel a couple of years ago and got clear on that, but this past summer, my acne's come back with a vengeance. It's now all over my face. It started as a bunch of closed comedones, and even now I still have about 100 little bumps on my face, so hopefully Accutane's gonna push those out. I also have persistent acne on my back.

I'll try to keep a daily log, and possibly post monthly pictures.

Good luck to everyone who's on tane right now, I'm so glad that this website exists so that we can see there are others like us out there and support each other. :angel:

Edited by rrw

Hi all! Today is my first day on Accutane! I actually got the pills a couple of days ago but I had to wait for 48 hours for the tetracycline that I was taking before to get out of my system before taking Accutane. I'm gonna pop the pill with lunch, and now I'm excited but also quite nervous. I saw others' logs and they were really encouraging. Hopefully I'll get to see some good results too. :angel:

I've never been this self-conscious before, now I find myself thinking about how my face looks like ALL the time, and I don't even like meeting new people anymore because I'm so worried that the first thing they see is my horrible skin, I just wanna cry out that IT DIDN'T USED TO LOOK LIKE THIS!

So my acne has been mild for about 5 years now, it was only on my forehead. I got prescribed Stievamycin gel a couple of years ago and got clear on that, but this past summer, my acne's come back with a vengeance. It's now all over my face. It started as a bunch of closed comedones, and even now I still have about 100 little bumps on my face, so hopefully Accutane's gonna push those out. I also have persistent acne on my back.

Good luck to everyone who's on tane right now, I'm so glad that this website exists so that we can see there are others like us out there and support each other. :angel:

Hey! I started the 'tane (well generic brand Claravis) 80 mg a day for 4 months. I started about 10 days ago, so we aren't too far off from eachother.. you can read my blog if you want to get an idea of what is to come.

Good Luck! & Stay Positive, theres a light at the end of the tunnel :)

Thanks guy!

vanillatwilight: oh haha I forgot to add that. I'm on 40mg for now.

I'm 19 (or will be in 3 weeks), 5'6'', 125lbs.

Day 2

Not much difference, didn't expect to see any this soon anyway. I do notice, however, that my face was really itchy today. Ever since this massive breakout, my face has been somewhat itchy, but today it was REALLY itchy, maybe it's coincidence?

Haven't experienced side effects yet, but I expect dry skin/lips/eyes to come. Haven't had any headaches, which I am really happy about, since I had really bad reaction to minocycline and got really bad headaches from that so I was afraid that tane was gonna raise my blood pressure too high. So far so good!

Good luck,I just started Nov,2.Lets hope for the best.

Day 3

Face still oily, don't see any difference.

My face is getting really really itchy, especially around the cysts. Has this happened to anyone else?

Hey, rrw!

I'm Sara, nice to meet you! : )

Congrats on starting your course!

It'll fly by!

I've noticed the itchiness as well, though I think it might stem from dryness. I've been putting aquaphor on my cheeks and it's worked really magnificently.

I'll keep checking back, good luck!

Thanks roxygal!

Day 4

I think the purging process has already started for me, probably cuz most of my pores are already blocked - I have soooo many tiny little bumps on my face - now I'm starting to see whiteheads and the seeds that were buried deep in my skin

My lips were a bit swollen today, but maybe it's just cuz I didn't drink enough water today, I don't expect the dryness to come in yet, since my face is still quite oily, especially T-zone.

Ugh 2 tests coming up this week, but I do hope that time will past by fast with school work keeping me so busy :)

Day 5

Definitely feel the lips being a little bit dry, and the eyes a tiny little bit too, nothing too bad.

Skin is starting to purge. I just hope that they don't all turn into huge painful cysts. One more thing - must stop picking! Gosh horrible horrible habit.

Day 7

Wow can't believe a week's already gone by.

Not much changes to my face.

I gotta admit I'm getting very discouraged right now. My face has NEVER EVER been this bad, and when I look into the mirror all I see are these huge red cysts plus tons of little bumps under my skin. It makes me doubt the fact that it'll ever go back to the way it was before.

I'm going home in about 3 months and I hate to let my parents see me like this :cry:

ACNE SUCKS!

Day 8

Not much to report.

Does anyone else notice this though, that a day of sitting around at home makes your face oilier than sleeping at night? That's at least what I find. I wake up with greasy forehead/nose/chin, but say if I'm staying in on a Sunday studying, at the end of the day, my face feels like someone sprayed me with a layer of grease.

Hopefully it'll get better as the treatment goes on though.

Midterm in 4 hours, so back to cramming...

hey!

hope everything is going well :)

as for the oil, i noticed that my skin got more oily the first couple of weeks and now my face is matte all day which is very nice :boogie: so pretty soon you'll probably notice a decrease in oil

Hi there. I started out getting an itchy face, but that went away after a week or so. I'd also say I was still greasy for the first week, thought I didn't notice when I was at my greasiest. I was certainly greasy as heck by the end of the day, but I thought maybe the foundation was contributing to that as I used to use an oil-based one. After a week of starting, I began to dry up and now I'm dry all the time. Nice feeling, I must say.

Don't get discouraged if your skin is worsening. Try to remember that it's totally normal and that chances are your skin will be dramatically better in three months' time when you go see your parents. Also try to be consoled by the fact that regardless of how badly your skin is getting you down at the moment, you're finally doing something about it, and that something just happens to be the most effective treatment out there.

Can't wait to see how you get on.

Oh, and thanks for reading my log!

Thanks lets_dance and Jezika!

At the end of today I noticed that my cheeks are starting to get dry, as well as around my nose and lips. My lips are starting to crack, I'm just constantly applying lip balm now. My forehead and nose are still oily, but yeah hopefully gonna get better.

Hmm, is it REALLY that big of a problem of you pop the pimples while on Accutane? I've heard people say that, but I think I'm just kinda addicted now. I mean, I only pop it when I see the whitehead, but does it really cause scarring?

Also, did anyone notice that the spot where a cyst is about to come out would hurt before the cyst forms? I've been noticing that, I get these pinching feelings on my face...

Edited by rrw

Bluh, I hate painful blemishes. If it looks bad, fine, I can deal with that. But pain? Fuck that, that sucks.

I'm going home in about 3 months and I hate to let my parents see me like this

Day 9

Lips are getting soo chapped! It feels like I'm soo dehydrated, and my cheeks are starting to get a bit flakey. I've also noticed a lot of blackheads on my nose, but my nose still feels really smooth, so I'm thinking it might take a while for them to surface.

AhMyFace - Thanks for the encouragement! I'm kind of glad that I go to school so far away from home now, cause they don't have to see me like this. I hope in 3 weeks it's gonna look a lot better.

strato - oh bahaha believe me I am. I'm at the point now I can't leave my apartment without putting on makeup, but makeup only covers up the redness, not the bumps, so under a good light my face is definitely not a pretty sight

Day 10

Double digits woot woot! 1/3 through the first month!

I don't know if I'd call this IB, I'm getting at least 3-4 whiteheads surfacing everyday, but I mean I can see the ones that haven't surfaced anyway, so for me it's sort of like turning from a bump into a zit.

Acne sucks. Period. It's a friend's birthday today, and my ex is also going. Before summer when we saw each othe last, my skin was almost perfect. I know that I'll just have to hold my head up high and pretend like there isn't a million spots on my face.

What doesn't kill you make you stronger, right?

Day 11

Last night was fun, the birthday boy got soooo drunk and started hugging everyone hehe.

I hope it's not just me imagining things, but when I woke up this morning, my face isn't as greasy as it was last week. My cheeks are starting to peel, occasionally there are actually flaps of dried skin dangling... attractive much?

Day 12

I'm happy to report that the oil production has definitely gone down. My forehead and nose are still a bit greasier than my cheeks, but it's a lot less oily than it has been.

I just wish that time could fast forward to like 3 months later. The waiting sucks.

Day 13

almost 2 weeks!

anyhow, i can't even count how many actives there are cuz there are soo many of them! the comedones are really getting pushed out, which i am actually kinda happy to see.

last night was the meteor shower, but being in vancouver means rain for like what 200 days/year? missed it :( my roommate actually set her alarm to wake up at 2 a.m. to see if the sky would be clear, but no, still raining. and it gets sooo windy here, my umbrella actually broke in the wind

anyhow

on the accutane topic, my hands are starting to get really really dried as well, it feels scaly to the touch, and lotion doesn't seem to help at all. anyone else had this problem before?

Day 19

I went for my second derm appointment today, and everything seems to be going okay so far. The only side effect so far is dryness, and my skin is no longer oily :dance: He said that if everything still feels fine by the end of the first month, he'll up my dosage to alternating 40 and 80mg/day. The next time I'll see him, though is in my 4th or 5th month of treatment, so hopefully everything'll be cleared up by then!

On Saturday, I had one of the worst shopping experiences. I was with my friend picking out an outfit for my birthday, and a lady at the sales stand for skincare walked up to me and asked if she could show me something for my acne. I was horrified, embarrassed, and really offended. I said no thank you and walked away, and felt bad for hours afterward. How can people be so insensitive?

Ugh, god. I hate that for you.

"Oh, hi, I'm just here to make you uncomfortable and talk about your acne when it's none of my business and you didn't ask. I bet you never thought of using soap, eh?"

Don't worry about that shit. Easier said than done, but yeah. I can only imagine my own level of belligerence had it happened to me. Sales reps.... they know not what they do.

Other than that, I'm glad you're seeing some change and that you're doing okay with side effects. Keep on keepin' on!

Day 19

On Saturday, I had one of the worst shopping experiences. I was with my friend picking out an outfit for my birthday, and a lady at the sales stand for skincare walked up to me and asked if she could show me something for my acne. I was horrified, embarrassed, and really offended. I said no thank you and walked away, and felt bad for hours afterward. How can people be so insensitive?

I would have given her a dirty look so that she thinks twice about what she did. You would think common sense would have prevented her from approaching you, but clearly she needs a reality check. Besides, in a few months you can go back and show HER!