Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
electric_feel

Twenty-something, and still living with parents

I have no respect for someone in their mid to late 20s that have no job, are not going t school, are not saving up and blowing their and their parents cash becuase they wont save then you get no respect from me. sorry.

I think it's safe to say that moochers don't really get anyone's respect. There aren't any moochers in this thread, maybe they are lurking. Who knows.

Update:

So I finally moved out about 3 months ago. I live with roomates in a house that's really close to where I work. I am planning on living here for at least a year, and by the end of the year I will have saved up enough money to move out on my own. I'm pretty happy where I'm at. My parents didn't want me to leave and everytime I visit them they ask me to move back in ha ha.

I'm still going taking night classes. I wanted to quit my job and go to school full time, but obviously I can't do that if I have to pay rent and besides, the economy is pretty bad right now. I don't want to be out of the work force for a long period of time.

Anyway, I just thought I'd pop in reallly quick since I haven't really been active on this site. BC and AHA are keeping me clear for now but recently I've noticed some acne coming back so I'll probably be on this site more frequently lol.

i'm 26 and i still live in my moms basement. i have no job right now cuz it's real hard to find one in this economy i did go to school but i flunked out so now i'm just chilling. I love my parents though cuz they still pay for my xbox live and video games so i have it good now. i just have to clean my room and sometimes wash clothes i dont have to do dishes or picku p after myself its awesome!11

LOL so apparently over 2 years ago I was going to go to graduate school in Scotland? Huh well...alrighty then. Must've been short lived because I forgot I ever wanted to go there. lol.gif

I'm 22 and I live at home right now, for what it's worth. I graduated last summer with a BA and I'm saving up money/paying off my student loan while living with the parentals. It has it's own challenges at times, depending on your family dynamic, but after four years of being away, I enjoy spending some time with my mom and sister. I am currently waiting to hear back from graduate schools (not in Scotland =P ) though, so we shall see in a month or so how that will pan out.

I think it's a great idea if you able to, because it's letting me save money for the future. ^_^

You were probably just drunk, Candice. That would explain why you would want to go to Scotland in the first place. Everyone knows that you have to feed your alcohol addiction.

Haha dave, for sure! =P

Electric_feel - I agree, things do change! In my experience. life has just gotten better and better and I look forward to the future so much. ^_^

I actually don't plan on moving out until 25 or 27.

I need a strong financial career before I can live on my own.

Edited by DesiAngel

I wasn't in that situation but I know plenty who were or are.

My husband lived with his parents until he was 22. Then he scraped together enough money to rent a studio apartment. Eventually he was able to get a bigger apartment, his own car, etc. but it took a lot of time and saving.

My brother-in-law is 27 and still lives with his parents. It's because he has a pretty sweet deal though. He works for them, so he pays rent to them (it's measly) and he gets his own side of the house, his mom does his laundry, he runs the dishwasher for his dishes.. His only bill is his power bill since he's on his family's cell phone plan (since it's a work phone). He bought a car and almost has it paid off. He'll probably work for them for the rest of his life so it's no big deal.

On the opposite end of the spectrum is my best friend Scott, who is 24-25ish and still lives with his parents. Life hit him pretty hard and pretty bad, he was falsely accused of a crime and they charged him with it, leaving him basically unemployable. Since he's basically unemployable, he doesn't have the money to move out. He lives off his parents which is super sad. He helps around the house and with the family business, and grows food in the front garden for them to eat which is super helpful, but his whole situation is unfortunate.

I could keep going, but the main point is, it happens all the time actually. It's more common in this generation now, with the economics and everything. People are under the impression if they go to college, they will get a job afterwards, because that's what their teachers tell them, but that's not really the case. I went straight into my job and will do on the job training in the next few months in order to advance to a higher position.

This is where I recommend people to go to a trade school. That way you are training for exactly what your job will be, and you are immediately employable. Most of the time you can do on the job training and then night school. It consumes 4 years of your life but at least you're making money all throughout it.

I sympathize with your situation though :( I think your reasoning make perfect sense, that you do have a loan to pay off and thus can't really afford to spare money. If your parents agree to you living there rent-free but at the cost of having to pay your own tuition, that's legitimate. That makes sense.

@Cocobo - I already moved out. This thread is 2 years old, but I brought it back to give everyone an update on my situation. I am now renting a room in a house with roommates.

I am grateful that my parents allowed me to live at their house rent free, because it allowed me to pay off my car and save enough money to move out.

in my society, the culture is that almost all of the twenty somethings, even thirty somethings if single, live with their parents. Because housing is extremely expensive and limited in my country, and they give priority to married people as my government is very pro-family.

It is the same in Japan too I believe. I would love to live alone though.