Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jkr

My scar treatment and how it's turning out for me

So basically my treatment consists of three products.

I use retina at night every other day. For my major scars I put a little on it to help it peel off faster. My bad scars are only a few shallow ones and by putting retina on them I have seen a huge difference.

However, you still need moisturizer and sunblock to keep your skin from not drying out. That is imperative. This is why I use Aveeno skin toner with SPF 30. It slowly helps get rid of blotches while not making your skin extra oily. The SPF 30 protects your skin from getting hurt by the sun, especially since your skin is peeling due to retina.

My facial wash basically consists of salycic acid at 2%. It is a scrub that helps get rid of black heads and exfoliate. I use this twice a day in the shower.

However, since I'm of Indian descent, my skin is a bit tougher. For people with Caucasian skin I'd recommend toning down on the retina. Also, be patient. Expect to see results at the minimum in 2 weeks (small results) and major changes in about 6 months to a year.

Or you could spend big bucks on risky lasers.

I use retina at night every other day. For my major scars I put a little on it to help it peel off faster. My bad scars are only a few shallow ones and by putting retina on them I have seen a huge difference.

However, you still need moisturizer and sunblock to keep your skin from not drying out. That is imperative. This is why I use Aveeno skin toner with SPF 30. It slowly helps get rid of blotches while not making your skin extra oily. The SPF 30 protects your skin from getting hurt by the sun, especially since your skin is peeling due to retina.

My facial wash basically consists of salycic acid at 2%. It is a scrub that helps get rid of black heads and exfoliate. I use this twice a day in the shower.

However, since I'm of Indian descent, my skin is a bit tougher. For people with Caucasian skin I'd recommend toning down on the retina. Also, be patient. Expect to see results at the minimum in 2 weeks (small results) and major changes in about 6 months to a year.

Nice, coming from someone with shallow scars. Retin A will not work for people with deeper ones.

Guest Timehealsall

would retina work for people with shallow icepick scarring?

would retina work for people with shallow icepick scarring?

timehealsall - some say yes and some say no. some say it made their scarring worse and over a period of a few years it got better. others say it gave them scarring where they didnt have any, giving them an orange peel texture.

your best bet is to post your question in the retin-a section of this site. there your post will be viewed by hundreds of people using the product, rather than here, where you probably wont get a definitive answer.

Retin A????

Clearly your scars are very shallow if a topical cream alone has done anything to show improvement.

Good on you! success is always a good thing. Retin A was never a friend to me..disaster.

Most people here are beyond a simple cream, and are seeking to heal deeper scars. However, everyones issues are relative, if retin A is all you needed, maybe it can help others with fresh young scars too.

Adella

Guest Timehealsall
I actually stopped this regimen. Worked well for me

madhur how old were your scars when you started retina? would it work for old shallow icepicks that are 4-5 years old?

Glad you shared your experience. I have only been using retin a for about 3 weeks now and I swear, my skin has shown a tad bit of improvement. I have shallow scarring and it is slowly beginning to soften their appearance. I have to admit that it is hard working with this stuff, my face feels like sandpaper! LOL But I do think it is great for shallow scarring.

the shallow scars are on my cheek. They were much deeper to begin with but retina helps build up the collagen under them also. However, it wont do much for ice pick scars.

Yes, I've used Retin a in the past for about 2 years and didn't do alot for pitted rolling scars. Maybe if you have shallow red ones it may help but mine were rather deep. Glad to hear it works for you.