Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Depression & Acne  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been depressed while having acne?

• Yes.
    • No.

I was trying to vote but i couldn't.. turned out i already did the other day=)..(big YES!) Depression with acne follows a pattern, atleast it did for me. Miss Kubler Ross' theory on death and dying applied during my acne journey.

1. Denial (I look in the mirror and say "it's not possibly acne, I'm past my teen years, this will just last a week or 2, yet it persisted=()

2. Anger (I hated what it was doing to my physical appearance and the resulting effect to how I was behaving towards my friends and my family..I had the bad temper moments)

3. Bargaining (I promised myself never to eat unhealthy foods if my acne went away=))

4. Depression (u can't help it..at some point, I had really some lows)

5. Acceptance (I had no choice but accept it, with the biggest glimmer of hope that I'll be clear..If you can't accept you have acne, you'll never be clear!)

I was trying to vote but i couldn't.. turned out i already did the other day=)..(big YES!) Depression with acne follows a pattern, atleast it did for me. Miss Kubler Ross' theory on death and dying applied during my acne journey.

1. Denial (I look in the mirror and say "it's not possibly acne, I'm past my teen years, this will just last a week or 2, yet it persisted=()

2. Anger (I hated what it was doing to my physical appearance and the resulting effect to how I was behaving towards my friends and my family..I had the bad temper moments)

3. Bargaining (I promised myself never to eat unhealthy foods if my acne went away=))

5. Acceptance (I had no choice but accept it, with the biggest glimmer of hope that I'll be clear..If you can't accept you have acne, you'll never be clear!)

Ya fully agree ... But from time to time it's really not easy ...

it damages my already low self esteem and i hate it!!

HelloItsMe, I can understand how you feel. But I'm sure that once you recover from acne your self esteem will skyrocket. :boogie: That's the way it is with me when I have one of my 'clear' days. You can be confident with acne, but it can be really tough.

Lol fess up who voted no??

Lol, Vanzzzz. :lol: No is accepted as well... it's good to see variety in polls. So far, there are around 25 yes'es to 1 no.

Ya fully agree ... But from time to time it's really not easy ...

Thanks for sharing your experiences... I had never heard of Miss Kubler Ross' theory. I think I've felt those 'symptoms' at some point. Denial, mm, possibly. Anger, yeah, definitely. Bargaining, possibly. Depression, definitely. Acceptance? Acceptance goes up and down. Lol. :shifty: But I agree, hope is extremely important. Unfortunately I don't always hold 'hope' when it comes to my acne. I have some room for improvement inside, & out. Lol.

That the thing am 35 and just got acne I can't accept that i got it.It f*uk*g up my life

Acne really varies, doesn't it? Some people have had it for years, others can't understand why in the world they just got it. Who knows? :shrug: I think everybody on this message board is wondering when, if ever, their acne will finally go away. People have told me that eventually, except for an occasional zit or two, everyone 'outgrows' their acne. Hang in there. We're all hoping... :question:

arghh I remember the time when I had acne..It's been 3 or 4 months since I've cleared up (having red marks,of course)...I get really upset thinking about how depressed I was at the time!!I cry even now,that I will never be able to take those 5 months of my life back :( because they felt like a long pause.

I really don't think that people can accept their acne,they just have to wait and suck it all up till it goes away.

arghh I remember the time when I had acne..It's been 3 or 4 months since I've cleared up (having red marks,of course)...I get really upset thinking about how depressed I was at the time!!I cry even now,that I will never be able to take those 5 months of my life back :( because they felt like a long pause.

I really don't think that people can accept their acne,they just have to wait and suck it all up till it goes away.

just curious.. how did you clear up

It's good that you have cleared up now, and I hope your acne does not come back. Acne is strange in how it effects different people at different times in their lives and for different periods and lengths of time. But you are extremely fortunate in having only had acne for 5 months... most on this message board have suffered with acne for years. I would say that your skin should be able to heal very well. :) Focus on the life ahead of you and put those 5 months behind you.

Best of luck to you. :angel: