Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Depression & Acne  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Have you been depressed while having acne?

• Yes.
    • No.

Whenever my face is at it's worst, although I try not to, I become depressed. I believe there's a link there. How many of you would say you have been or are in a depression, because of your acne, or is acne related?

Of course acne can cause depression ...

I don't think anyone here would vote no as i am sure that at one time or another they suffered depression when they had acne.

It might be true cause i got depression before the acne .But things were getting abit better and then came the acne. Why do you think it might be related?

I have never had depression but I have felt very low and insecure because of my acne. I suppose one might say I felt slightly depressed but not in the clinical or severe sense of the word.

isnt it more like, acne effects you in your daily life.. or maybe you think it does, and then you get depressed about it.. or somthing

It might be true cause i got depression before the acne .But things were getting abit better and then came the acne. Why do you think it might be related?

In your case, maybe it was more of a coincidence having acne after your depression. I don't know that depression causes acne, although stress might aggravate your skin... :think: When I say I believe there's a link between acne & depression, I think they're related in the sense of becoming depressed because of acne causing a low self esteem.

isnt it more like, acne effects you in your daily life.. or maybe you think it does, and then you get depressed about it.. or somthing

Yeah, that's about right.

I have never had depression but I have felt very low and insecure because of my acne. I suppose one might say I felt slightly depressed but not in the clinical or severe sense of the word.

just curious, how can u be sure if you have clinical depression or just mild depression?

Technically, only doctors can diagnose depression. When I ask if you would say that you have or have a had a depression acne related, I'm not specifically looking for either clinical or suspected depressions. I'm more or less asking if you personally feel that you have experienced depression because of acne. Merriam Webster (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/depressed) defines depression as anything below:

1 : low in spirits : sad; especially : affected by psychological depression

2 a : vertically flattened <a depressed cactus> b : having the central part lower than the margin c : lying flat or prostrate d : dorsoventrally flattened

3 : suffering from economic depression; especially : underprivileged

4 : being below the standard

Physician-reviewed articles on depressed on Healthline.

1. Depression may be described as feeling sad, blue, unhappy...

I've never been depressed about acne by itself... I mean, I know it's possible. But I haven't. I have, though, been depressed from other stuff. Life sucks.

Guest Chrisâ„¢
Whenever my face is at it's worst, although I try not to, I become depressed. I believe there's a link there. How many of you would say you have been or are in a depression, because of your acne, or is acne related?

I was depressed and suicidal for years solely because of my acne. I think it depends on the severity of the acne really, but that's not to say that people with light acne don't suffer from some level of depression also. You grow up with everyone around you having clear skin (including yourself), and then all of a sudden one day you get acne and it makes you feel like an outsider and not normal, acne is bound to cause depression in everyone to some degree, especially if you cannot get it under control.

i would say that it has more to do with how you think other people think of you. i'd say that no one really cares how you look, however, most people get the feeling that everyone's watching you like your a leper, even though its not really true. People can be happy even if they have acne, they just have to be ignorant of it, but since every time we look in the mirror we can see changes in our skin it brings its attention to us. in the beginning its probably just interesting or amusing to see the changes take place, but when you start judging how it is affecting your appearance that's when you start getting negative feelings from it. So then you start trying to hide it and fix it using so many different treatments and before you know it your obsessed with being perfect. What a shame.

That's what I was wondering... does anybody escape depression while having acne? It seems that very few people are fortunate enough to not experience depression because of their acne. But for the most part people have been depressed. Strange, isn't it, how some don't feel depressed and others are borderline suicide... I'm not suicidal, although I have felt very depressed for long & short periods of time.

i would say that it has more to do with how you think other people think of you. i'd say that no one really cares how you look, however, most people get the feeling that everyone's watching you like your a leper, even though its not really true. People can be happy even if they have acne, they just have to be ignorant of it, but since every time we look in the mirror we can see changes in our skin it brings its attention to us. in the beginning its probably just interesting or amusing to see the changes take place, but when you start judging how it is affecting your appearance that's when you start getting negative feelings from it. So then you start trying to hide it and fix it using so many different treatments and before you know it your obsessed with being perfect. What a shame.

Yeah, that about sums it up. :boohoo:

As for me, I wouldnt say depressed. More like self concious and slightly upset. but yes it can cause some serious depression.

I've been severely depressed while having acne, but the acne was in no was the cause of my depression. Correlated, maybe. Cause, certainly not.

Edited by whoalisa

I have a very difficult family situation, which has been going for ever. When I was 12/13 I started getting acne. When I was about 20 some personal problem appeared (plus still fighting with acne). That's when depression hit me. When I started getting acne scars too my depression got severe. Now, I'm 26, diet has helped me a lot with my acne but I still have the scars and other problems. So I'm on anti-depressants right now. I can feel they're working (I can sleep for example and I don't feel anxiety all the time) but I know that's not enough. I need to figure out what to do about my life. I lost my job because of my depression. Suddenly I just didn't have the energy to work anymore, I couldn't sleep, couldn't do anything, so I just didn't go. They didn't fire me but I quit and started treatment. Now I feel a bit better so I'm looking for a new job. Plus I've had two TCA peels and I can see some changes. I'm living at my parents' house now and we are all trying to work on other problems too. So I'm staying hopeful.

I have a very difficult family situation, which has been going for ever. When I was 12/13 I started getting acne. When I was about 20 some personal problem appeared (plus still fighting with acne). That's when depression hit me. When I started getting acne scars too my depression got severe. Now, I'm 26, diet has helped me a lot with my acne but I still have the scars and other problems. So I'm on anti-depressants right now. I can feel they're working (I can sleep for example and I don't feel anxiety all the time) but I know that's not enough. I need to figure out what to do about my life. I lost my job because of my depression. Suddenly I just didn't have the energy to work anymore, I couldn't sleep, couldn't do anything, so I just didn't go. They didn't fire me but I quit and started treatment. Now I feel a bit better so I'm looking for a new job. Plus I've had two TCA peels and I can see some changes. I'm living at my parents' house now and we are all trying to work on other problems too. So I'm staying hopeful.

Depression can be very severe and has incredible effects on people's lives. Man, I'm sorry that you've been going through all this... it's good that you've been feeling better lately though. Good luck with a new job... & I hope that things continue to improve for you.

Stay hopeful, and never give up.

I'm pretty much at rock bottom because of my acne. Quite suicidal, actually, even though I feel stupid about feeling that way. Not leaving the house isn't enough for me to feel more secure anymore. Any kind of light upsets me because I know that my face is visible. It's become too much.

I do have stuff to stress about besides acne, but acne is the only reason i ever really get depressed, times when im cleaer i am one of the happiest people, I cant wait to grow out of it...ahhh

Acne in a sense gives you the impression that you are inferior to others because of the fact that your appearance is flawed. Because of the inferiority you feel below standard and develop a tendency to shy away from others. That's the way it is with me, at least.

I'm pretty much at rock bottom because of my acne. Quite suicidal, actually, even though I feel stupid about feeling that way. Not leaving the house isn't enough for me to feel more secure anymore. Any kind of light upsets me because I know that my face is visible. It's become too much.

I know... acne can be overwhelming. I think that's the main reason most of us are even on this forum, we're frustrated, we just can't take it anymore, & we're seeking support. Try & keep your chin up... hold on. Believe it or not, there's so much to live for. And of course, those of us here at acne.org are always here for you.

I do have stuff to stress about besides acne, but acne is the only reason i ever really get depressed, times when im cleaer i am one of the happiest people, I cant wait to grow out of it...ahhh

Acne in a sense gives you the impression that you are inferior to others because of the fact that your appearance is flawed. Because of the inferiority you feel below standard and develop a tendency to shy away from others. That's the way it is with me, at least.

I can relate to what you're both saying... and 'More than just a Face', I think that's the way most people feel. This thread has received such a good response from people on this message board. Most of us seem to be in the same boat... it's amazing. As if the acne wasn't enough to make you want to find a cure, there's also depression. From the poll so far, it's 40-1. It's almost unanimous that people have or have had acne related depression. It just seems wrong for people to have to go through this. But going through this does in turn make us stronger people.

-HomeBoundGypsy