Notifications
Clear all

Does Accutane Cause Wrinkles?!?!?

MemberMember
(@toomuchaccutane)

Posted : 10/31/2009 1:50 pm

Hi, I took accutane 3 years ago for mild acne and oily skin. Now my skin has no oil and i have sooo many wrinkles developing under my eyes and on my forehead. I am almost postive I would not have got these wrinkles had i not take accutane.

Questions..

1) can accutane cause wrinkles

2) Doesn't oily skin prevent wrinkles

Pleaseeee, somebody help me, I am a wreck about this, i feel like i've ruined my skin.

MemberMember
(@italianboy)

Posted : 10/31/2009 2:18 pm

How old are you?

MemberMember
(@toomuchaccutane)

Posted : 10/31/2009 2:31 pm

How old are you?

Hey italian boy,

I'm 25. But i had no wrinkles or fine lines before accutane. I think the dry skin has from accutane has caused this.

MemberMember
(@italianboy)

Posted : 10/31/2009 2:32 pm

Well of course very dry skin can cause wrinkles at almost any age but I guess the fact that you're 25 has helped it

How severe are these wrinkles dude?

MemberMember
(@toomuchaccutane)

Posted : 10/31/2009 3:50 pm

Well of course very dry skin can cause wrinkles at almost any age but I guess the fact that you're 25 has helped it

How severe are these wrinkles dude?

not severe, but i know i wouldnt have em if i hadn't taken accutane...

MemberMember
(@xandraa)

Posted : 10/31/2009 4:27 pm

LOL, why, because 25 is so old? I guess if you're 16...

I've noticed some fine lines under my eyes that weren't there before starting accutane; however, I find when I moisturize the area very well they seem to disappear.

MemberMember
(@junebug86)

Posted : 10/31/2009 8:49 pm

It might be caused by other factors you know. Smoking, drinking, sun exposure, unbalanced diet, drug use, stress, etc.

Would you rather still be battling acne or have a few little wrinkles?

MemberMember
(@siava)

Posted : 10/31/2009 10:49 pm

I did not take Accutane until I was 31 and noticed fine lines at 25. I was a total mega-producing oil factory then. You could name a bottled brand after me. It was gross!

Yes, there's no doubt Accutane causes dryness of the skin, but 25 is not a baby's bottom or even a teenager's skin. You're talking about two and a half decades of (most likely) time in the sun without a care and total disregard to diet and physical well being, not to mention genetics. Fine lines and eventual onset wrinkles are inevitable as we age. I totally understand that it sucks to age. People look at us as if we're inferior instead of the opposite. Such is the naive thought of immortality of youth. Still, you say you "know" you wouldn't have these wrinkles if not for Accutane. How do you know for sure? Some questions...

Do you tan?

Do you wear spf?

Do you moisturize?

Do you eat healthy meals or crap fast food/processed manufactuered meals from your grocer's freezer?

Are you under great stress?

Do you drink, smoke, or partake in illicit drugs?

Are you an insomniac?

How did or do older family members look in comparison?

We need more info. I do not ask to be mean or "prove you wrong". Not at all. I'm asking based upon experience and a 23 year old cousin whom loves to bask in the sun and has a healthy night life, and as a result has the eyes of a 50 year old due to her addictions.

MemberMember
(@xandraa)

Posted : 11/01/2009 9:58 am

Yeah it really depends on the individual and not just lifestyle. At 23 I had no wrinkles or lines whatsoever, and I grew up in Florida and spent a lot of time at the beach (often without sunscreen). I attribute this in part to my oily skin. Within days of starting accutane, I had noticeable fine line under my eyes. This is probably the drying/thinning effect of the medication. Like I said in my other post, moisturizing has helped; but long-term, I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with a few more permanent lines than if I'd never used accutane. For me, clear skin is worth the trade off.

In answer to the OP's questions:

1) can accutane cause wrinkles: In my opinion, yes; because it dries the skin.

2) Doesn't oily skin prevent wrinkles: Again, just my opinion, but yes. Everyone on the maternal side of my family has oily skin and all are aging/aged very well, with few lines.

MemberMember
(@italianboy)

Posted : 11/01/2009 10:28 am

LOL, why, because 25 is so old? I guess if you're 16...

I've noticed some fine lines under my eyes that weren't there before starting accutane; however, I find when I moisturize the area very well they seem to disappear.

25 isn't old of course but there are people who already have light wrinkles at that age

Now that I think about it

Should I moisturize under m eyes too since I'm on Accutane? :|

MemberMember
(@siava)

Posted : 11/01/2009 1:43 pm

Yes. Moisturize everything on your face. Even your eyelids.

MemberMember
(@italianboy)

Posted : 11/01/2009 3:43 pm

Thank you <3

MemberMember
(@thulsa-doom)

Posted : 11/01/2009 10:04 pm

Just to add my experience:

Yes, Accutane can cause fine lines and wrinkles. I took it for six months and developed fine lines across my forehead where there were none before. Now, six months post-Accutane, they're still there. There's not a shred of doubt in my mind that it was the Accutane that did it. I've been using Retin-A in an attempt to smooth these out, and I've seen some progress. Accutane is known to have a skin-thinning effect, so this is, I assume, what causes the appearance of such lines. I'm 29 and I'm sure these would've appeared eventually - maybe in another ten years or so, but the process would've been gradual, not a sudden appearance over the course of only a few months. They definitely were not natural at this point in my life; it was the Accutane.

Was it worth it to take Accutane? No, since it didn't work and cost a shitload of money (I've since cleared my acne through diet, but I won't get into that).

Just my contribution for whatever it's worth.

MemberMember
(@deleted10)

Posted : 11/01/2009 10:45 pm

Uhm.. My view..

Your skin shouldn't be dry on accutane. You should be moisturizing it to such a degree that it retains normal natural moisture..

I am sure dry skin would cause wrinkles, accutane doesnt cause dry skin though, "Accutane w/o proper moisturizing" causes dry skin.

Notice how in your first post you said you were "almost positive." Positive would be anything over 50%. and negative would be anything under 50%. Almost positive means negative, so you woulda been somewhere round 49%

Then, you go to say you are "sure" you wouldn't have got them w/o accutane.

So 100% now..

Shows how much your mind, and all the trash on the internet manages to get you to self diagnose something like that..

MemberMember
(@xandraa)

Posted : 11/01/2009 11:08 pm

Uhm.. My view..

Your skin shouldn't be dry on accutane. You should be moisturizing it to such a degree that it retains normal natural moisture..

I am sure dry skin would cause wrinkles, accutane doesnt cause dry skin though, "Accutane w/o proper moisturizing" causes dry skin.

Notice how in your first post you said you were "almost positive." Positive would be anything over 50%. and negative would be anything under 50%. Almost positive means negative, so you woulda been somewhere round 49%

Then, you go to say you are "sure" you wouldn't have got them w/o accutane.

So 100% now..

Shows how much your mind, and all the trash on the internet manages to get you to self diagnose something like that..

Accutane does dry your skin. Yes, you can moisturize, but that does not change the fact that the drug is reducing your skin's natural moisturizing process, sebum production. No matter how much I moisturize or what type of moisturizer I use my skin is still drier from using accutane. In addition, accutane can cause the skin to become thinner, which increases the appearance of fine lines. It's hard for me to ignore this reality when I saw fine lines appear under my eyes within days of taking accutane. And yes, I was moisturizing a lot.

MemberMember
(@deleted10)

Posted : 11/01/2009 11:39 pm

WOW! It thins the skin within a few days??

Wow.

Surely for some people they can retain normal moisture with moisturizing?? More frequent? (Eg. After cleansing, then upon arriving at work) or something may help??

MemberMember
(@xandraa)

Posted : 11/02/2009 7:14 am

WOW! It thins the skin within a few days??

Wow.

I said I saw lines appear in a few days. Whether or not this was due to thinner skin, I can't say.

Surely for some people they can retain normal moisture with moisturizing?? More frequent? (Eg. After cleansing, then upon arriving at work) or something may help??

Sure, but I am relating my own experience.

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 11/02/2009 8:24 am

I agree with what some of you say regarding aging, but yes Accutane can cause wrinkles and speed up the process of aging.

It does dry out the skin and dries out much more...It does thin the skin and notes that in the information, It also cause cell death.....

I have extreme wrinkles and lines on my hands since accutane and I used moisturizer and really didn't get that dry of skin on the face or hands while on it....So for some they are lucky and for others not so much.

MemberMember
(@deleted10)

Posted : 11/02/2009 5:12 pm

Well, to me, a few wrinkles are better than acne any day.

Go to your beauty therapist a few months after tane and get them to iron out the wrinkes for you =)

MemberMember
(@max-2)

Posted : 11/03/2009 7:31 am

Accutane definitely cause fine lines and wrinkles and the reasons are skin thinning, dry skin and slow cell proliferation. People can be arrogant and choose not to believe but this do happens to some people who took accutane. And for people who thinks that "Few wrinkles are better that acne" then you should really think again. If you are talking about permanent remission from acne then yes, it probably worth it, but how many people really enjoy permanent remission after taking accutane? Not only do some people have to deal with permanent injuries inflicted by the used of accutane but also the returns of acne. So it is really a lose lose situation sometimes, unless of course, you belong to one of the very few lucky ones whom not only enjoy permanent acne remission but no serious side effects as well.

MemberMember
(@xandraa)

Posted : 11/03/2009 7:46 am

So it is really a lose lose situation sometimes, unless of course, you belong to one of the very few unlucky ones whom not only enjoy permanent acne remission but no serious side effects as well.

I think you mean lucky, not unlucky. And what is your basis for claiming that "very few" enjoy such results? Can you back up that statement with any studies or research?

MemberMember
(@oli-girl)

Posted : 11/03/2009 9:38 am

So it is really a lose lose situation sometimes, unless of course, you belong to one of the very few unlucky ones whom not only enjoy permanent acne remission but no serious side effects as well.

I think you mean lucky, not unlucky. And what is your basis for claiming that "very few" enjoy such results? Can you back up that statement with any studies or research?

Well, all you really have to do is look around on the board from years or even current and read posts of people who have taken multiple courses, questioning long term low doses, or a few months after taking accutane they are thinking of a 2nd course cause thier acne comes back.

Usually I have found that the ones that do get permanent remission from acne are going through teenage acne that will probably clear up when thier out of the teen stage of life.

Then there are thoose who get permanent remmison from accutane permanent shutting down thier sebasous glands and they are very unlucky w/severe permanent sides effects from being dried up......

Then there are thoose like myself who still have acne, yet have been permanently damaged by this drug and have altered dna...

I could go on, but what's the point....You want research and studies go read up on the history of accutane, go search and read up on retnoids and vit A, go read up on the biochemistry and study how accutane works as a Chemotherapy drug which it was made for.....

MemberMember
(@xandraa)

Posted : 11/03/2009 9:52 am

Well, all you really have to do is look around on the board from years or even current and read posts of people who have taken multiple courses, questioning long term low doses, or a few months after taking accutane they are thinking of a 2nd course cause thier acne comes back.

That is what you call a sample bias. The people who post here are more likely to be those who did not have complete success with accutane. That is generally why they return here; to ask questions, voice their complaints, etc. Those who do have complete success are more likely to move on with their lives and not continue posting on an acne forum. True, some will return to post stories of their success, but most won't. Therefore this board is not a good indicator of the true rate of success with accutane.

I have already done my own research on the drug; I was asking the other poster to back up his claim, or at least to indicate how he came to that conclusion.

MemberMember
(@toomuchaccutane)

Posted : 11/03/2009 12:16 pm

That is what you call a sample bias. The people who post here are more likely to be those who did not have complete success with accutane. That is generally why they return here; to ask questions, voice their complaints, etc. Those who do have complete success are more likely to move on with their lives and not continue posting on an acne forum. True, some will return to post stories of their success, but most won't. Therefore this board is not a good indicator of the true rate of success with accutane.

I have already done my own research on the drug; I was asking the other poster to back up his claim, or at least to indicate how he came to that conclusion.

Accutane thins your skin. The more you take the thinner your skin can get in turn causing wrinkles. If you dont believe accutane can cause wrinkles than that's fine, dont believe, but i've experienced it first hand so i know. My skin was very young and supple looking pre-accutane and i was 22. Didnt have as much as a fine line anywhere. Shortly after taking accutane, i started developing fine lines on my forehead and under my eyes. There fine lines have become more pronounced every single day. I wish i had taken less accutane but i cant go back in time.

MemberMember
(@xandraa)

Posted : 11/03/2009 12:20 pm

Accutane thins your skin. The more you take the thinner your skin can get in turn causing wrinkles. If you dont believe accutane can cause wrinkles than that's fine, dont believe, but i've experienced it first hand so i know. My skin was very young and supple looking pre-accutane and i was 22. Didnt have as much as a fine line anywhere. Shortly after taking accutane, i started developing fine lines on my forehead and under my eyes. There fine lines have become more pronounced every single day. I wish i had taken less accutane but i cant go back in time.

I'm not sure if you intended to address me or not- but if so, go back a page and read my other post, that's pretty much exactly what I said re: accutane and skin aging.