Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
asian24

Does Oily skin make more acne?

Oily skin alone will not cause acne. It has to do with many other factors including the way your skin cells shed. This is why acids can work so well. They help ensure that skin cells break loose and get washed off instead of clumping together in your pores.

As for reducing oiliness, diet may play a very small role but mainly your oiliness is determined by the hormones in your body and how your sebaceous glands react to those hormones.

Oily skin alone will not cause acne. It has to do with many other factors including the way your skin cells shed. This is why acids can work so well. They help ensure that skin cells break loose and get washed off instead of clumping together in your pores.

As for reducing oiliness, diet may play a very small role but mainly your oiliness is determined by the hormones in your body and how your sebaceous glands react to those hormones.

Yes, oily skin alone WILL cause acne. I had oily skin and acne, took everything for it and nothing worked. Took accutane, stopped the oil, now i dont have acne.

oily skin will exacerbate acne but it isnt the root cause of it. But oily skin and acne do generally tend to go hand in hand.

Topical antiandrogens are one option but your choices arent many.

Low dose accutane but I dont advise that either.

5-LOX inhibitors may be beneficial to a certain extent as well.

Yes, oily skin alone WILL cause acne. I had oily skin and acne, took everything for it and nothing worked. Took accutane, stopped the oil, now i dont have acne.

Tell that to my mother who has had oily skin all her life but no acne.

Yes, the p. acnes bacteria feeds on oil...but there are other factors. There are also people out there without oily skin who have acne.

No oily skin does not cause acne. I know a bunch of people with wet looking faces and no acne.

Also, contrary to what TV commercials want you to believe, dirt does not cause acne either.

If that were the case, all the construction workers with dirt and sweat covered faces all day should have acne. They don't.

What does cause acne is poor quality sebum production. Your sebum may tend to be sticky and prone to getting clotted. This is a result of hormonal imbalance. Hormonal imbalance cannot be fixed by treatment at the skin level. Go read all the testimonies on this forum about how people got rid of their acne by changing their lifestyles. That is the only way.

People seem to have succeeded by cleaning out their liver and changing their diet. Also, over-masturbating leads to increased DHT conversion which results in hormonal imbalance.

Bottom line, hormonal imbalance --> ACNE.

Also, over-masturbating leads to increased DHT conversion which results in hormonal imbalance.

The spike in DHT from masturbation is so negligible and fleeting it would not have any discernible effect on your long term hormonal balance.

Tell your over-masturbating theory to my boyfriend with perfect skin and a good man-to-hand relationship.

Or his twin brother whose acne was so severe he went on accutane...let's just say he doesn't have quite the same extracurricular activities.

Also, over-masturbating leads to increased DHT conversion which results in hormonal imbalance.

The spike in DHT from masturbation is so negligible and fleeting it would not have any discernible effect on your long term hormonal balance.

Tell your over-masturbating theory to my boyfriend with perfect skin and a good man-to-hand relationship.

Or his twin brother whose acne was so severe he went on accutane...let's just say he doesn't have quite the same extracurricular activities.

When i say over-masturbate, I'm not referring to 2-3 times a week. More like 2-3 times a day.

When i say over-masturbate, I'm not referring to 2-3 times a week. More like 2-3 times a day.

I understand, and my statement still stands.

So basically there is no way to stop sebum production except possibly diet and accetane? Are there other explanations other than genetic predisposition and hormones?

I'm personally seeking these answers because I am the only one in my intermediate family with extremely oily skin on my face, but I guess it may have been possible to obtain some recessive gene. I'm a healthy vegetarian who rarely eats out and rarely ingests fatty food. Finally, I've not been tested, but hormones don't seem like the answer. Even during pregnancy and post-partum, I didn't have extremely oily skin like I do now. Menstrual cycles and pregnancy didn't have an effect on my oily skin, just a very slight breakout. I don't even take hormonal birth control. I should also mention I'm 23 years old and have indeed been through puberty already. Also, I live in Alaska, where winters are so dry if you take a deep enough breath, you'll go into a coughing fit. And EVEN MORE, I lived in 90% humidity in St Louis for a year without extreme oily buildup, or problems with any oil production at that. Yet, with all of this, I suddenly developed extremely oily skin/acne five months ago on a drive from St. Louis to Alaska.

It's just so confusing when all the common factors for oily skin don't seem to apply and when it seems like there isn't anything to do to stop it, except band-aid the problem with oil blotting sheets. It just doesn't make sense to randomly develop extremely oily skin. Am I just not understanding this? Where's Bryan!?!? :lol:

I am definitely NOT an expert, but I do suffer oily skin. Having moved from an extremely hot & humid, Southern environment to a very cool/cold & dry, Pacific NW environment, I can say my oil production definitely increased and has maintained at a much higher level than ever in my life these past 3.5 yrs of living here. I am 28 yrs old now. I have noted that diet has some effect, but is rather negligible for me. I am not a vegetarian like you are, but I am an athlete in extremely good shape and eat very healthy - very little red meat (1x a week at most) but I do eat chicken and fish, always get my veggies, vitamins, etc. I eat on a schedule to maintain my energy level. I drink tons of water, no sodas or extra refined sugars or anything of that sort. My skin gets worse if I make bad food choices, yes, but even as well as I normally eat I am not able to decrease the oil production overall (if so it's too little to notice).

So... back to the point, your move could most definitely have been a factor in your sudden oil production. Also have you considered environmental factors such as pollution or allergies?

I have extremely oily skin, and it is hereditary...from mom.

I am 21 yrs old- started to have acne, most whiteheads, then which developed into horrible acne because I didn't know how to properly treat and cleanse my face ( I was using apricot scrubs almost everyday until two months ago for a duration of at least a year) and with harsh chemicals that only damaged my skin instead of helping it.

I had really nice skin even though it was extremely oily for all my life until 3 years ago..I dont understand what cause the sudden change of my skin. I didn't move to another place, I just graduated highschool that summer..I was under a lot of stress that summer, and I also broke off with my ex-bf, so I guess all of that caused severe hormonal imbalance like many of you guys said.

I have been on dan's regime, and it helped a lot, but I would still get break out every other day. I dont have severe acne. It is mostly whiteheads that eventually turn into acne for me.

I hope one day this vicious cycle would stop, and I hope your skin will clear up as well. :)