Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DudleyDoRight

Fraxel Re:pair Part III

Day 7 and all is going well. A little flaking this morning which suprised me considering all the Cetaphil I have been slathering on. Most of the redness is gone and the red marks are diminishing.

Glad to hear all is going well for you. As I mentioned, I had my treatment done on September 23. This week my skin is so dry that I am flaking. My derm said three weeks ago that it was time for a retinoid and that I could go back to my regular face wash which is a presription Clenia. My skin is so dry that I have disontinued the retinoid and gone back to the Aquinil wash. I'm sure the weather doesn't help as it is getting much colder out. Just so unusual for me cuz I'm usually oily.

Do you explect to do another repair treatment or too soon to tell? Have a wonderful vacation in Florida and keep that sunscreen on!!!!!!

2 Weeks now and all of the redness is gone except for a tiny red spot under the nose. I am a bit amazed at how fast I healed this time. For the first time in my life I am questioning whether I have the need to continue.

Sign, by looking at the procedures I have done that should tell you how bad the scars were. As short as 2 years ago I had the extreme fire in my belly to treat them, now the fire has waned. The improvement from the Fraxel Re:pair is so gradual that you don't realize the changes you are going through. I think a lot of people don't get the treatements at a high enough level to realize the maximum results. As with anything in life with risk comes either reward or consequences. I was lucky enough to be able to fly through 70 mj-60% treatments with no problems. I believe this equates to a 1.6mm laser penetration. I have heard many people getting treated at <1 mm and they are just not going to see the same results, hence the dissapointment you hear from these people. My 3 Re:pair treatments are the very best $8,000 I have spent in my whole life.

dudley didn't you also get isolagen done? i remember you saying it worked well and you'd do it again. unfortunately isolagen just went bankrupt!

dudley didn't you also get isolagen done? i remember you saying it worked well and you'd do it again. unfortunately isolagen just went bankrupt!

That wasn't me I have heard of it, but don't really know what it is. Well, I am one month post procedure and this has gone so easy that I have few comments. Face continues progressing nicely so I will have a decision next spring as to wether to do #4 or call it quits. It is way to easy to give up on Re:pair before you allow it time to work. The changes are subtle, you won't be where you want to be in 3 months, but give it 2 years and you will feel much better about yourself. The best 8K that I have ever spent.

does the microswelling last 2 and half weeks post op?

they told me the alma pixel perfect penetrated 2.5 sheets of paper deep. ishould have asked for the actual depth

Edited by marinera83

Dudley, would you be comfortable revealing who your doctor is? I am in Dallas, & although I know a lot of drs. here have re:pair, your testimony makes me want to skip on over to OK b/c your dr. sounds like a dream & obviously knows what she's doing! If you are not comfortable posting her name publicly, could you PM me, please??!

Congrats on your success & THANK YOU for keeping us posted on your progress.

Butterflies, I had my done at LaserLight Skin Clinic in Nichols Hills, Oklahoma. I would advise you to check out some of the 9 doctors I found using the Fraxel search.

http://www.fraxel.com/findDoctorResult.cfm...;MAXDISTANCE=75

These were in a 75 mile radius of zipcode 75201. I wouldn't recommend doing a long travel like that. You are not going to want to be out in public, certainly not flying and you will not be up to driving either. You really want to recover at home, and your face will be a total mess for at least 3 days. I had intense swelling that subsided about day 3, but you will still be beet red. I am sure at least one of those 9 clinics I found in Dallas will do just fine.

Do not expect miracles after one treatment, it take 3-4 treatments, unless you have very superficial scarring. When you do find the right doctor be sure to ask about their experience with Re:pair and at what setting they would treat you at. Also ask about discounts for multiple treatments. If you have darker skin or very sensitive skin Repair may not be for you.

Good Luck in your research and read some of my postings on lasers especially Laser link o rama

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Laser-Lin...01#entry2773601

Butterflies, I had my done at LaserLight Skin Clinic in Nichols Hills, Oklahoma. I would advise you to check out some of the 9 doctors I found using the Fraxel search.

http://www.fraxel.com/findDoctorResult.cfm...;MAXDISTANCE=75

These were in a 75 mile radius of zipcode 75201. I wouldn't recommend doing a long travel like that. You are not going to want to be out in public, certainly not flying and you will not be up to driving either. You really want to recover at home, and your face will be a total mess for at least 3 days. I had intense swelling that subsided about day 3, but you will still be beet red. I am sure at least one of those 9 clinics I found in Dallas will do just fine.

Do not expect miracles after one treatment, it take 3-4 treatments, unless you have very superficial scarring. When you do find the right doctor be sure to ask about their experience with Re:pair and at what setting they would treat you at. Also ask about discounts for multiple treatments. If you have darker skin or very sensitive skin Repair may not be for you.

Good Luck in your research and read some of my postings on lasers especially Laser link o rama

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Laser-Lin...01#entry2773601

Dudley, I was wondering what you would consider light/superficial scarring, could you post a pic of an example? I have asked many people and most have different views. I feel this affects their views on whether a treatment works or not. Many people have stated that Fraxel repair will not work but that usually have severe scarring and are expecting instant results.

Michael, I am almost uniformly dissapointed by most posted pictures. I look at my before pictures and even I can't see the scarring that I know was there. It took me forever to post pictures on MySpace, Facebook and Classmates. I am a very private person who has been self conscious my entire life because of Acne scars, hence the multiple types of treatments as they evolved through the years. It wasn't until Re:pair that I got any improvement. Most of my superficial scarring is gone and the deeper scars on the cheeks have been greatly softened. I don't know that I NEED a 4th Re:pair, but I may just do it in May. I am more at peace with myself now than I have been my entire life. I believe Re:pair is the only treatment that I have experience with that works on deeper scars because it can penetrate 1.4-1.6mm. Perhaps their are other treatments that help, but I have never tried any of them. I did try the 1.5mm Dermaroller weekly for 12 weeks along with Skin Biologies Copper Peptides.

Anybody expecting instant miracle results from Re:pair should be advised to try something else. Re:pair is a lengthy process. I started about 19 months ago and if I go again in May it will be 2 years. Also if your doctor is unwilling and/or your skin condition makes it impossible to treat at the higher penetration levels your satisfaction will be diminished and that 2 year time frame could well expand to 6 Re:pairs and 3 years. I hope anybody interested in lasers are reading the Laser Link o Rama thread.

Dudley, you are such a sweetheart! THANK YOU so very much!!! I am going to pursue this after the holidays when I return home from New Orleans. My plan is to print out your posts, study them, and bring them with me to interview doctors. I want to make sure that I am having these treatments at the correct settings for acne scarring reduction, which will be far more aggressive than someone like me would need for cosmetic purposes being that I am virtually wrinkleless. I'm hoping and praying that at least one of the Dallas doctors has extensive use of re:pair for ACNE SCARRING patients & is therefore familiar with the proper settings & will be as aggressive as possible - that is why I was wondering about your doc in Oklahoma b/c she has done such an amazing job with you.

Background: I've had 2 dermabrasions (1st was 15 years ago; 2nd was 10) with very good results; & an exoderm (4 years ago) - worthless. I've also had a couple rounds of silicone microdroplets, results being so-so. I was concerned about the aggressive settings with re:pair due to past procedures possibly thinning my skin, etc. but it seems like you've been fine & that gives me hope. My skin is quite healthy and I think I'm a great candidate for laser. The silicone issue appears not to be a big deal either according to docs I've asked, but I'll need reassurance from THE doc doing the re:pair.

Anyway, THANK YOU again for all of your help. You have really gone up and beyond with sharing your research and experience. I do hope you'll hang around a while, or at least pop in from time to time, after you finish with your procedures.

Michael, I am almost uniformly dissapointed by most posted pictures. I look at my before pictures and even I can't see the scarring that I know was there. It took me forever to post pictures on MySpace, Facebook and Classmates. I am a very private person who has been self conscious my entire life because of Acne scars, hence the multiple types of treatments as they evolved through the years. It wasn't until Re:pair that I got any improvement. Most of my superficial scarring is gone and the deeper scars on the cheeks have been greatly softened. I don't know that I NEED a 4th Re:pair, but I may just do it in May. I am more at peace with myself now than I have been my entire life. I believe Re:pair is the only treatment that I have experience with that works on deeper scars because it can penetrate 1.4-1.6mm. Perhaps their are other treatments that help, but I have never tried any of them. I did try the 1.5mm Dermaroller weekly for 12 weeks along with Skin Biologies Copper Peptides.

Anybody expecting instant miracle results from Re:pair should be advised to try something else. Re:pair is a lengthy process. I started about 19 months ago and if I go again in May it will be 2 years. Also if your doctor is unwilling and/or your skin condition makes it impossible to treat at the higher penetration levels your satisfaction will be diminished and that 2 year time frame could well expand to 6 Re:pairs and 3 years. I hope anybody interested in lasers are reading the Laser Link o Rama thread.

Thanks for the response Dudley. I completely understand you not wanting to post pics but, I was asking if you could post an example of light/superficial scarring from on online picture(google). I feel that since you have been through many treatments including multiple fraxel repair you would have a better feel as to which type of scarring would see great benefits after just 1 Fraxel repair treatment.

Butterflies, since I can't remember if Christine mentioned anything about silicone, and erring on the side of caution, I like to present the worst case scenario from RealSelf. http://www.realself.com/review/fraxel-laser-horrible Christine had her Re:pair shortly before I had mine, and I think her doctor was inexperienced. I would be remiss if I didn't post this every once in a while, and I will add it to Link O Rama. AWalker who is strongly against RePair has never had Re:pair and posts often. I go by Dazed on RealSelf. Also remember that I am a very quick healer so temper you decision by how you reacted to the dermabrasions. Research, Research and then do some more research, this is an expensive and lengthy process.

Marinera, I don't exactly know what went wrong in Christines case. The vast majority of caucasions with normal skin, and not taking any drugs for acne should breeze throguh Re:pair with no problems, but Christine was the exception. She said she exercized regular and was in good shape. I just want people to be informed and ignore anecdotal evidence. I have added the Christine Case to the Link O Rama thread.

I had the fraxel repair done in early december and it didn't help me at all. I'd say i got about 10% better. my healing was great, i dont remember what levels my laser was. I have severe boxcar scaring and I don't see really any improvement at all. Maybe Dudley is right and a few treatments would help, but I couldn't do it again the weeping and dripping was too gross for me. I had great healing but I guess I'm one of the few who it couldn't help.

SoundChic, it is with the most difficult cases that Re:pair works the best. Check what level you were treated at before giving up. See if your Dr will crank up the laser and give you a big discount for repeat treatment.