Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This is my first post although I’ve been reading the boards so long that I already feel like I know you guys. Where to begin…? I’ve allowed acne to pretty much destroy my life and any chance of having a happy, fulfilled relationship. I’m 25 and have had acne ever since I was 14. I withdrew from life and never let anyone get close to me, and now I’m worried what will become of me… I feel like a shmuck, coming to these boards for solace and then my first post being so depressing, but I feel like people will at least understand how I feel. Half time I don’t want to even get out of bed in the morning. I just lay there for a good 30 minutes thinking the world might be better off if I just didn’t get out of bed at all. I don’t know what to do anymore. I’m so depressed and alone. It’s like I’ve lived in this self-imposed exile and I don’t know how to break out of it. I feel like my youth has passed me by, and I’ve lost any chance of getting out and doing the things normal people do. I just can’t connect. I know that acne isn’t my only problem, but it’s definitely a big part of it and tied in to how I think about myself. I don’t know, I guess I was just looking for some help or advice from anyone else going through the same thing.. I see happy people everyday and wonder, why can’t I be like that?

p.s. sorry for such a depressing post, usually I’m someone who tries to pick up other people who are feeling down. I just have no one to do it for me…

well 25 is still really young so don't worry about your youth passing cause it hasn't yet.

I guess you just gotta get your skin to an acceptable level where you can feel comfortable.....& try to not focus on it & concentrate on other things but I know that can be very difficult.

Oh yeah...25 is young! There is still a whole lotta youth left, don't let time let you down too much. There have been times when I've just stayed in bed for days, I was so depressed. There is a point though...when things start to change for the better...

It is tough when you're down, especially about acne, there is really no one to open up to, who can "pick you up". It's hard to talk to your friends about acne especially if they are clear. I think this board helped me a lot though, reading and sharing. I hope posting here will be the same way for you.

Saw your pics in the gallery...I think you're depriving some young lady from getting to know a great looking, sensitive guy! Acne is hardly noticeable (congrats on the success with Dan's). For the bacne, have you tried Accutane? You surely don't need it for your face. I was on Accutane several years ago. It helps...for most people, it's permanent.

Good luck...and c u around in the message boards!

Guest Brandon

It sounds like you're describing the lives of several people that read this board. Your acne is nothing but a faded memory, man. You look good and you should stop feeling sorry for yourself and get back in the scene. Cherish being clear while you still have it! Because you really are pretty much clear. It's easier said then done, but try it and see how your life changes.

ya I just looked at your gallery pics & like catwoman said your face has got really no probs at all!! That's great!! Bacne can be very hard to treat with topicals...it doesn't seem to respond to anything BUT I had it on my upper chest/back/shoulder area similiar to you just constant big red sore ones that never let up....

I went on accutane for my face really it helped a lot there but it COMPLETELY wiped out the bacne I had.....I have NEVER gotten another big one & it's been years......I think other people have had similar experiences so maybe you should look into that....

I think I am pretty similar 2 u defoe. I am also 25, had acne since my early teens and am hiding in my room most of the time. I started seeing a psychiatrist about 4 mths ago and saw a psychologist for my first appointment today :blink:

dont really know if they are helping yet, but I have nothing better to do with my spare time...

Thanks everyone for your replies. You don't know what a relief it was to post and how much your nice comments mean to me.. actually maybe you do.

I know that it's time to stop feeling sorry for myself. A lot of people have it a lot worse, etc., and I know I have a lot of other things to offer, but it's like a don't even know how to get started you know?

I guess I'm lucky in that my facial acne hasn't been as bad as my bacne, but it's a small comfort. It always comes back to: how do you love someone else when you can't even accept yourself? I've had this problem for so long that I feel like some monster..

Another question: is 25 too old for accutane? I've heard a lot of good things about it (and bad) from people on this board and maybe I need to go that route. I've never been to a derm in my life (too embarrassed) and wouldn't even know where to begin.

oh no way!! I took accutane later than 25 some people take it in their 40s & beyond!! Seriously give it a try I wouldn't be surprised if it could all but get rid of what you got on your back.....as for the derm's office shit!!! most of us here have sat in that waiting room with our faces COVERED with acne & you know on your day you're always the only one there with acne!! So your face is fine nobody will know what you're there for.....the derm should know that bacne is stubborn & help you with some accutane....maybe antibiotics first who knows but really don't waste your time & your life with this shit just go get it taken care of.

I went on accutane for my face really it helped a lot there but it COMPLETELY wiped out the bacne I had.....I have NEVER gotten another big one & it's been years......I think other people have had similar experiences so maybe you should look into that....

I am also 25, had acne since my early teens and am hiding in my room most of the time. I started seeing a psychiatrist about 4 mths ago and saw a psychologist for my first appointment today

I feel EXACTLY the same way. I have bacne also... I'm a guy and 27, and have had it since 13-14... way 2 long for sure. My story is a very complicated one as to my social life, but utimitly self exile is exactly what I've done. I left a successful career, never really loved myself... I get so mad when I see other people walking around... shirts off and not having to feel so embarrassed like a deformed mistake. I really love the beach. I love water, although i tell everyone i hate it... because I couldn't ever begin to explain why I couldnt swim with out a shirt, a now... a tshirt wouldnt even due... my acne has spread to my neckline. So I'm forced to go out and find specific shirts that cover that area.

I struggle with depression on a daily basis. Like you, I don't blame it all on the acne... but I can't help but wonder... to dream how different my life would be if i didnt have it.

Sex? For the most part... forget it. A relationship? How could I trust someone enough not to tell my horrible secret??? Much less be so digusted by it that they wouldnt want to touch me.

People tell me all time... how hot I am... if they only knew that behind the curtain... my body is anything but normal, or perfect.

As for accutane... I paid some 500 dollars to get it... and at the end of the first week... several ago... I started pouring blood everywhere from my nose... my lips where so chapped that I couldnt eat anything with any type of salt... not to mention bear the pain of the cracked raw tissue. It was sooo not for me.

I've tried antibotics... of every kind... nothing worked. I layed in the tanning bed alot... that seems to clear it up some... but never enough to "go shirtless."

Even if my bacne was gone today... I would still face the shame of scars... athough I would be appreciatve... that option however has not been given to me unfortunatly.

I'm actually driving 3 hours Monday to a dermatologist for a consult regarding treatments of SmoothBeam Laser treatment. ( its suppost to help bacne & scarring... and is actually approved to treat bacne before even approved to treat facial acne. )

For now... I use OXY Chill... 10% bnz w/ menthol... & phisoderm cleansing soap.

I couldnt not leave a message because at the risk of sounding stupid... I related to your acne and words so much that I had to...

ps... the my pic below is much better than it looks. however the regimen i listed has helped noticably.

post-46608-1157787320_thumb.jpg

post-46608-1157787320_thumb.jpg