Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dudemag Fitzgerald

Acne/Acne Scars and employment

i doubt it, though you'd have to wonder with certain jobs, i wont get into it, but you know what i mean, like selling facial products and so on... i think it would only play a part if it was severe though.

I totally agree. Im looking for a job now. and sometimes i feel discouraged from even going on interviews. I worry that they wont hire me because of my acne and scars. Its sounds silly when i think about it. But i have to use it as motivation to sell myself harder when i meet them!

Acne effects all aspects of my life. I HATE IT.

anyone find it difficult to find a job with acne scars or bad acne? i cant help but wonder if that is one of the reasons of me not finding anything

Honestly sometimes it might, some people are just that damn superficial *so would you really want to work for that type*, and other times we show our insecurities in our face. We understandly so, may not exude that confidence we need to score that job. If you show enough confidence and knowledge in that position you will actually win them over, the right ones.

this guy is the CEO of adobe which is a public company -- they make Photoshop. his scarring must've been much worse when he was young.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02xbadUdVe0Kh/610x.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oreillyconf/4042637404/sizes/o/

Apparently they 'photoshop' his image (hehe) to remove the scars !

http://res.sys-con.com/story/dec09/1222077...rayen%20468.jpg

Edited by usacc

sad, but true. statistically, an employer will take a better looking person with the same qualifications than the lesser looking one. although acne doesnt have everything to do with looks, it can be a deal breaker in some cases (depending on the job also). keep pushing! you'll find a good job soon. Im in the same boat..but luckily im good at poker and am making $$ online :dance: lol

It is hard for us but not impossible. I have a job as a receptionist. I went for interviews for 3 months and I only did get this job because they needed someone with fluent English to deal with foreign clients on the phone all day. I'm going to change jobs this year and I am NOT looking forward for dreadful interviews. Ugh.

Study. Get qualifications to make you stand out on the market and you can get a job even if you have acne and scarring like I do.

It really depends on the job position. If you are going for a job where you constantly need to meet people face-to-face, then the employer may give higher consideration to someone who doesn't suffer like we do -_-.

@OP - well at least you're putting yourself out there, I think that's great. I won't even look for a job until I feel my skin is clearing up :/

Ii think having severe acne could hinder your opportunities with various employers, especially office based where you will have to be dealing with clients, or on a team selling business things etc, face to face. also with severe acne comes lack of confidence in the person, which means they wont get the job anyway. i can only thank Buddha that during my interviews that i've had for jobs i have always been clear or at least clear enough to be confident. if my skin had been as bad as it was in my late teens then i think certain jobs i wouldn't have got. its a sad but true reality of this world.