Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
timbo2600

What ever happened to the proposal to take "acne" off the products?

Acne On The Product Label  

47 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the word "acne" being displayed on the products?

• I would like the word acne removed, I prefer a more subtle bottle.
    • I do not care either way.
    • I would like "acne.org" to remain on the products.

The fact that so many people are pissy and upset and trying to hide the fact that they use products that say (dun-dun-dunnnnn!) 'acne' on them only feeds into that stigma.

If people would just go, "Yeah, you know what? I do have acne, and I'm doing something about it. So what?", eventually acne wouldn't be something to be embarrassed about. It's the fact that people continue to treat acne like it's something to be horribly ashamed of that keeps the stigma going.

And, as mentioned, Dan doesn't advertise this site. His products and word of mouth are the only ways that he gets his message out there. Sure, he could start paying to advertise, and then we'd get a bunch of new threads bitching about the fact that Dan would've had to increase the price of his products to cover the expense of advertising.

So, yeah, I'm 100% for keeping 'Acne.org' on the labels. If you're uncomfortable with it, slap a sticker on the label. Scribble on it with a permanent marker. Transfer your products into different containers. I don't see why Dan should have to take the name of his website off the products he produces because some people are too ashamed to stand up for themselves and say, "I have acne. Deal with it.".

I also think it needs to be taken off.

I mean, it's kind of silly if you think about it, if someone is suffering from something, and you get products for it, you don't want other people to see what your suffering from. THAT'S ALSO ONE OF THE REASONS WHY YOU BUY THE PRODUCTS, TO GET RID OF IT.

how about:

DEPRESSION.ORG

BALDNESS.ORG

etc.

I know we are a community, but we are one because we suffer.

I hide my bottles so no one can see the word 'acne' on it. Why in the world would you want other people to know? I'm NOT proud of it

Edited by help3

I also think it needs to be taken off.

I mean, it's kind of silly if you think about it, if someone is suffering from something, and you get products for it, you don't want other people to see what your suffering from. THAT'S ALSO ONE OF THE REASONS WHY YOU BUY THE PRODUCTS, TO GET RID OF IT.

how about:

DEPRESSION.ORG

BALDNESS.ORG

etc.

I know we are a community, but we are one because we suffer.

I hide my bottles so no one can see the word 'acne' on it. Why in the world would you want other people to know? I'm NOT proud of it

There are a lot of websites for various issues out there that use their cause as part of their website's name. For example, www.cancer.org and www.diabetes.org.

I also see people wearing hats, t-shirts, bracelets, pins, and stickers supporting sites and causes like these, because they're trying to increase awareness of what the cause is and what people can do to help. They're trying to get rid of the stigma that having having these issues means that these people can't have normal lives. They want people to look into these things and educate themselves so that we can all work together to find solutions.

Why should acne be any different?

I always wonder if people write to Neutrogena and ask them to take the word "acne" off of their acne products, such as the Oil-Free Acne Wash. Or Clearasil Acne Treatment Cream? Or Stridex, or Oxy. Do you guys also write to big-name companies asking them to remove the word acne from their packaging? After all, everyone would know you were treating your acne if you had any of those products on your bathroom counter. How is this any different?

I hear you guys. Acne needs to be on there for a few reasons however. The first is legal. When you have an over-the-counter treatment for a condition you need to state what condition it's treating on the label. Next is clear communication. I want people to know where to come back to get instruction and more product. Finally I'm hoping having acne.org on the label helps to reduce the stigma of having acne. Everyone gets zits at one point and I want people to know it's no big deal.

Having said that, if you want to put a sticker over Acne.org, feel free. I found some random stickers around and put them on a bottle to show you how it looks. I think it looks nice. For the dudes: You can use more masculine ones of course :)

post-1-1258143975_thumb.jpg

post-1-1258143975_thumb.jpg

I have had acne for over twenty years.I am female.Of course I ashamed of having acne it's not something to be proud of and it's never going to be no matter how many people proudly declare they have it.

Acne is not something that people feel sympathetic towards such as other things mentioned as anybody who's ever been called Zit Face or Puss Features or any of the other names you get called knows.

If you're not ashamed of having acne that's great.I am not whingeing.It's twice as hard being a woman with acne because women are still judged by their appearance much more so than men.

Acne is not consided to even be a disease by most people. Acne is one of the few things where people feel free to abuse you.

I am very thankful to Dan for his products and Regimen.

Look at my user name Medusa the Gorgon was so ugly people turned to stone if they looked at her and That is how I feel. Ugly.

Like This

post-75205-1258156000_thumb.jpg

post-75205-1258156000_thumb.jpg

Edited by MedusaGorgonia

I have had acne for over twenty years.I am female.Of course I ashamed of having acne it's not something to be proud of and it's never going to be no matter how many people proudly declare they have it.

Acne is not something that people feel sympathetic towards such as other things mentioned as anybody who's ever been called Zit Face or Puss Features or any of the other names you get called knows.

If you're not ashamed of having acne that's great.I am not whingeing.It's twice as hard being a woman with acne because women are still judged by their appearance much more so than men.

Acne is not consided to even be a disease by most people. Acne is one of the few things where people feel free to abuse you.

I am very thankful to Dan for his products and Regimen.

Look at my user name Medusa the Gorgon was so ugly people turned to stone if they looked at her and That is how I feel. Ugly.

Like This

Didn't you post pics of your face and results? If iam remember correctly your face looked amazing. So don't say you are ugly, because you aren't.

From a marketing standpoint, Daniel Kern is much more marketable and acceptable than "acne.org," which contains a word which elicits negative emotion in many sufferers.

Negative associations? TOTALLY agree. But what else are we supposed to call it?

Marketable name? disagree... because who is Daniel Kern to the world and in the eyes of the consumer? They need to know what he does (ACNE.org). Besides, it's not about Dan - it's about the prevention & treatment of acne, and the physical & emotional healing of the results of acne. Acne is the illness, and you fight it with acne treatment, not Dan Kern.

Something I find exceedingly difficult to understand is why people are so adamant about keeping it, but I think I've discovered it. These people define themselves by their affliction. Acne has become an inherent part of what makes them who they are. It's their struggle. It defines them. They own it. This is common in many diseases that people suffer with. Upon being cured, people with this mindset can even fall into a depression because what once defined them is no longer there. This has been documented in medical journals.

Psych 101, very good point. This occurs with a lot of people who suffer from major/minor illnesses. They form an identity with the illness and when they lose the illness, they lose "themselves". But after sifting through endless pages and threads of miserable acne sufferers, do you honestly think you could find one person on this site who would be devastated over the loss of their acne? It's possible, yes! If anything, the identification with the illness would be 100% subconscious. I just don't think it's probable.

However, my point is that while acne itself may be embarrassing, actually DOING something about it is not. You know? And besides, acne isn't something you can effectively hide. Even with makeup - its still there, visible. So why hide the treatment? Those people entering your house, combing through your selection of bathroom products? They'd have to be blind to not know you have acne... You know? It's a fairly blatant condition.

Ok this is getting too long.

If you don't want visitors to know what it is, then you can always put it away when they come over. If it's about negative associations and you don't want to look at the word "acne", then slap a sticker over it. But then again, you may as well stop clicking the bookmark on your browser for "ACNE.org". Get what I'm saying?

At the end of the day, it's all 100% subjective. Some like it, some don't. And perhaps it's much easier for me to accept acne because I don't have a relentless and excessive amount of it.

WHEW.

I just spent way too much time writing this. My ego needs to be checked.

ps- I totally found this site by googling "acne" :) true story! Most rewarding google search ever!

Agreed, agreed, and even more agreed to the point I could not agree anymore. AND people's view of the world is highly subjective, one of the basic themes of psychology.

LOLOLOLLLLLL!! haha. freudian slip, anyone? ok, enough psychobabble.

And rooooooooooooofl!!!111 I actually got this and lol'ed aloud. :lol:

Why does it matter if the label remains on the bottles?

I just see it as: Why does it matter if the label is on there? It's not like you walk around carrying the bottles with you everywhere. :shrug: If this is about, not wanting to see the fact that it says 'acne' or someone else seeing it; it is unpreventable. Almost everyone probably has a product that says 'acne' on it, if they are using it to medicate their face. Are you going to go around asking every company to take it off on their products as well? You can't. Like it has been said, just put a sticker on them if you don't want to see the labels, but I'm for keeping it on the bottles.

I am really failing to understand the point of view of the people who seem to need it on the front of the bottle.

People who would like the bottles changed have one thing in common, they have all mentioned their personal stories and how this affects them directly. Having to see the word, being reminded of it, having to hide the bottles etc etc..

Those who are adamant about keeping ACNE.ORG plastered on the front of the bottle have not offered any compelling arguments as to how it affects them personally. Instead they offer: "get over it." It's nice to see such an understanding community for a disease that has such a profound psychological impact on people.

The notion that a bottle in your bathroom is somehow going to forward the cause of acne sufferers everywhere is a joke at best.

It's the sole means of advertising the product? Wow, yeah. All of the sales of the products must have been through word of mouth and views from high traffic teenage kids bathrooms everywhere. I'm sure it has nothing to do with the domain name itself, the fact that google directs almost any search string with the word "acne" to this site, or the massive membership of the forums. You are all right, this whole place would go under if "acne.org" were moved to the back of the bottle.

Some of you are forgetting that this community has been around far longer than any of the products. "Forgetting" isn't the correct word actually. It would imply that any of you were around to participate in the community before the products came out.

I leave you with this, who is imposing their ideals on who? People would like the bottles to be more discreet because they would like a greater degree of privacy and subtlety. So exactly how would it affect all you personally in a negative way? It stands to make many people happier.

Those who are adamant about keeping ACNE.ORG plastered on the front of the bottle have not offered any compelling arguments as to how it affects them personally. Instead they offer: "get over it." It's nice to see such an understanding community for a disease that has such a profound psychological impact on people.

Some of you are forgetting that this community has been around far longer than any of the products. "Forgetting" isn't the correct word actually. It would imply that any of you were around to participate in the community before the products came out.

I suffer from Depression because of my long battle with acne.I wasn't going to say this as I am ashamed of that too.

Because of certain posts on this thread I'm feeling really lousy right now and it's not so easy to "Get over "that

This is what acne can do to you

Edited by MedusaGorgonia

'Acne' is just a word on the label, people. You may think this sounds harsh, but, really, any negative connotations that you have with that particular word are on you.

I understand completely that having acne can be a traumatic experience for some people, and I'm not saying that they need to just "get over it". People feel how they feel. But I think it's a bit overboard to expect a company to change their labeling just because it has a word that doesn't make you feel great on it.

Look at any acne product at the store. They all say 'acne', 'pimple', 'blemish', or 'zit' somewhere on the label. They're acne treatments.

Dan has explained the reasoning behind the labels on his products. Suggestions have been made as to how to cover up the labels if any of you really just can not abide by seeing the word 'acne' on your products (which I've been having a hard time grasping: you can't stand seeing the word 'acne' on a bottle in your bathroom, but you're okay with logging into Acne.org...). I just don't understand why Dan should have to change his labeling (which reflects his efforts to reduce the stigma about acne being something to be ashamed of) because some of the people that use his products are uppity about a word.

If if bothers you that much, produce your own products and label them however you want.

Still waiting for the compelling story detailing how having "acne.org" moved would ruin someones life...

Maybe "acne treatment" needs to be somewhere on the BP, maybe the back would be okay. I don't know the laws on this one. It still doesn't necessitate "acne.org" being on the front of all of the bottles.

Wow, people really know how to complain. Dan makes great products that are waaaayy cheaper than the competition, and you STILL complain? Get over it people. Take a chill pill. It's a word. Whoop de doo. Either hide it in your cabinet or where ever you put all this stuff, or like Dan even said, put a sticker over it.

Bottom line: shutup

Sorry I am sounding so harsh but it is ridiculous how much people can complain.

I have no idea why this conversation is even happening.

If you are somehow negatively affected by the word acne then get off of acne.org, throw away your acne.org products that have been helping you to NOT have acne and then go to the store and buy some crap that says "silly little bump blaster with rainbows hehe!" and then hug your mommy, put in your binky and stay locked in your room - because this world is obviously too scawy for you, you poor wittle baby. WAH.

WTF. You have got to be kidding me on this.

skylyre

Wow, people really know how to complain. Dan makes great products that are waaaayy cheaper than the competition, and you STILL complain? Get over it people. Take a chill pill. It's a word. Whoop de doo. Either hide it in your cabinet or where ever you put all this stuff, or like Dan even said, put a sticker over it.

Take a chill pill????? How old are you????? Depression is not so easy to get over. Neither is acne.

Some of you are coming across as stupid, thoughtless, arrogant children.

I have had acne longer than some of you have been alive. Can you comprehend that?????

Bottom Line You Shut Up until you have gained some understanding of life

Edited by MedusaGorgonia

Medusa, I am sorry but what the hell are you talking about? What does depression have to do with "acne.org" logo on the bottles? Dan already made a post saying he won't take it off so put a damn sticker on it. Warrior of Acne had a legit point. :clap:

Take a chill pill????? How old are you????? Depression is not so easy to get over. Neither is acne.

I have had acne longer than some of you have been alive. Can you comprehend that?????

As Brazzy said, how do you get depression from a label? I hope you mean you got depression from the acne itself. If you cannot stand it SO much, use different products. Dan's not changing it so you are going to have to get over it. When he was showing the sticker idea, he basically was saying shut the hell up in a nice way!

LMFAO, this thread actually gave me a nice giggle, because for 3 pages now people have been complaining over a logo. A logo! Are y'all serious? PM me and I can tell you 10 or more ways to hide it. Sticker, rip it off, white out, sharpie, duct tape etc.

Acne caused the Depression. I am talking about putting acne.org in small letters on the back.Why does it have to be plastered all over the front?????

Dermalogica for example don't have acne written all over their products so conspicuosly.

He doesn't have to take it off and I haven't got money to waste on bloody stickers for a badly packaged product.

The product is good but the packaging is dreadful

Acne caused the Depression. I am talking about putting acne.org in small letters on the back.Why does it have to be plastered all over the front?????

Dermalogica for example don't have acne written all over their products so conspicuosly.

He doesn't have to take it off and I haven't got money to waste on bloody stickers for a badly packaged product.

The product is good but the packaging is dreadful

The difference is that it is no surprise you have acne. Whether it says Dermalogica, Neutrogena, or acne.org, we all know if a person has acne. It's not like a shock or anything. WHO GIVES A SHIT!

Yo Medusa, srsly, if there was chill pills, I would recommend them ;)

I've had acne for 10 years - probably not as long as you according to your quote up there. It sucks. Real bad. But I'm not going to pretend it is something that it's not. I find the BEST treatment for acne, is to get over it and just find a good reg.

Acne.org is such an amazing place! It's a place where people can talk about their acne and feel better about it. I would never be ashamed of it or my acne.

skylyre

p.s. Why the heck is poll still shifted so ridiculously towards removing acne.org?

As Brazzy said, how do you get depression from a label? I hope you mean you got depression from the acne itself. If you cannot stand it SO much, use different products. Dan's not changing it so you are going to have to get over it. When he was showing the sticker idea, he basically was saying shut the hell up in a nice way!

I have every right not to like the packaging and how do you know exactly what Dan meant?

You know what you can do *moderator edit* if you don't I can expalin it to you in words of one syllable.

I am sick of sanctimonious brats